Daughter feels left out at recess - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Daughter feels left out at recess

Hello fellow parents,

My daughter is 7 years old, in 2nd grade. She goes to a public school. It's a good school in a great little town.

Last night I sat with her before she went to sleep because she seemed upset. I asked her what was going on and she told me she didn't have a good day at school. She told me how they had indoor recess and she found herself left out, that she couldn't find anyone to play with. I know she has a few friends in her class but it always seem like most of them are close friends. She described to me how she could be talking with someone and having a nice conversation, but then that same child might ignore her later, or refuse to play with her.

I wasn't sure what to say to her. I said that sometimes we feel left out but that's not necessarily true, it just seems that way. I said that it's good to be able to be by yourself, and be able to occupy yourself alone. I said that if she finds herself in that situation, that she could always find her own thing to do (I try to get her to pick up a hobby), and that other kids might be attracted to that. Like, if you do you own thing and stay true to who you are, other kids can sense it and they can appreciate it. I also told her that she should invest in a few good friends and not try to be likable by everyone.

She was crying a little and my heart really went out for her. It's hard for me to understand this situation. As a child I never had social problems, and was always surrounded by friends.

Just to be clear, on a day to day basis, my daughters enjoys being at school. The kids at her class are not mean to her. They are nice to her and friendly. She does have close friends which are not in her class but in the same school (that's why she prefers outdoor recess). They keep circulating the kids between classes every year, which I find is a negative practice. Kids need stability.
Also, she is generally a happy child. She smiles and laughs a lot, she is smart, caring, sensitive and loving.
I just want to know what are the best thing I should be telling her.

Thank you for reading and replying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 03:26 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Become her friend, what else does a girl want from her mom. You too will find a great friend in her.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:00 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I think you should talk more with her

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.