How am I going to fit three convertible seats in my car? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Sybermoms Parenting Forum  

Go Back   Sybermoms Parenting Forum > SUPPORT-CATEGORY > Carseats 101

Carseats 101 Kids in the car? Buckle them in and do it right. Need ideas? Come inside!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2003, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Megs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue Sybermom
:
Banked :
Donate
How am I going to fit three convertible seats in my car?

We have a 2003 Grand Jeep Cherokee and a 2002 Nissan Altima. We are thinking that I'll take the Jeep from now on, since I'll need extra room for all the additional crap. But if the seats will fit better in the Altima, then that's cool too.

We have a Britax Marathon and an Evenflo Triumph. I was thinking of just purchasing another Triumph since I like it just as well as the Marathon. But both the Marathon and the Triumph seem to have extremely wide bases to me.

I haven't tried the Triumph in next to the Marathon yet ... I was just sitting here thinking about it.

Does anyone have three convertibles in the back of either of these vehicles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2003, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Unsupportive Freeloader

todolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermom
:
Banked :
Donate
Hmm, I don't have 3 seats at all.

You are not going to use baby buckets? Just curious.

In wich positions do you plan to put the seats? Marathon in the middle and fit the other seats around it? You may have to get seats with narrower bases. I know nobody wants to do that but sometimes it is necessary.

Sorry I'm not much help.
todolist is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Things are looking up!
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yup_n_Nope is funnier than a foot long fuck ferret
:
Banked :
Donate
I noticed that the Triumph had a wide base. I purchased the Titan instead. I've only used it one time, so far, though.

I don't know how you would fit the seats in. I'd really have to see the vehicle and the seats. You could check out carseatdata.org for specifics on widths, etc.

HTH
Yup_n_Nope is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
evilRoz Returns!
Unsupportive Freeloader

Soopah is funnier than a foot long fuck ferret
:
Banked :
Donate
Megs, I have compact cars, and though I only use two carseats, I do have an Evenflo Titan, and it is a good carseat thusfar.
Soopah is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Megs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue SybermomMegs is a true blue Sybermom
:
Banked :
Donate
Todo, I was afraid of that. Bugger. I'm going to take the Triumph to the Jeep dealership and see what they say. Yeah, I was planning on putting the Marathon in the middle and the two Triumphs on the outside. We are using infant buckets, but I'm not really concerned about them fitting. Although, on second thought, the base that comes with them could be too wide too. Shit.

I'm just going to bring the whole shebang to the Jeep dealership and let them help me.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Unsupportive Freeloader

Brina is funnier than a foot long fuck ferret
:
Banked :
Donate
I have put two roundabouts in my inlaws cherokee and there is no way a third seat would fit back there. I don't have experience with any other seats, except for baby buckets. With the baby bucket bases, I can't see fitting a third seat into the back of the cherokee.

This was an older model cherokee, not a grand.

Brina
Brina is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Unsupportive Freeloader

Tournaments Won: 2

Nodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue Sybermom
:
Banked :
Donate
With infant seats, the problem isn't often the base, but the handle. You may be able to have the convertible and the bases in the car, but the way the handle sticks out makes it hard to fit the seat into the base.

Too bad Fisher Price stopped making carseats, the Stay In View would be perfect for you. It's narrow, and doesn't have the traditional handle on it.
Nodakbabe is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
I want to soak up the sun
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yeasty is funnier than a foot long fuck ferret
:
Banked :
Donate
I have a 2001 Toyota 4Runner with a rear facing roundabout and a forward facing Marathon and there is no way in Hell another carseat would fit in that backseat. I couldn't safely put another child that wasn't in a carseat back there. It wasn't as tight with the infact carrier/carseat and the roundabout facing forward but now, there is just no way.
Yeasty is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Unsupportive Freeloader

3under2 3under2 3under2 3under2 3under2 3under2
:
Banked :
Donate
Honestly, you aren't going to be able to CRAM three car seats in the back of either vehicle, much less have them installed correctly/ safely.

I had twins first and drove a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder. A very skinny (and I do mean SKINNY) person could squeeze between the two infant car seats, but could not buckle the middle seatbelt.

By the time my girls were 4 months old, we were doing some serious car shopping. I found out #3 was on the way when the girls were 5 months old, so it was a good thing we'd been looking!

Three in car seats....time to move on to either a mini-van or larger SUV. We ended up with a Yukon XL (same size as a Suburban) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I have the girls forward facing in the third seat and DS is rear facing behind the driver's seat. Even in my much larger SUV, there is no way a third seat would fit between the girls' seats in the back.
3under2 is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
SCREW YOU
Ambulance Chaser

Tournaments Won: 9

:
Banked :
Donate
I had to also get a larger vehicle. no way was i putting my older son in the front seat.
  < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Unsupportive Freeloader

todolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermomtodolist is a true blue Sybermom
:
Banked :
Donate
Oh for fuck sake. There are people driving around with 3 in seats in Honda Civics. If they can fit 3 seats in there, then there is a chance.

There are narrower seats on the market. Finding the combination that works may be difficult but it can be done.

I think I would go searching for the most narrow seat on the market, buy 2 of those for RF and put the older child in a combo seat. Those are pretty narrow, esp after you take all the extra crap off.

It's easier and cheaper to find 3 new seats then to buy a new vehicle.
todolist is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Unsupportive Freeloader

Nodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue SybermomNodakbabe is a true blue Sybermom
:
Banked :
Donate
Speaking of combination seats, my Big Lots had the Evenflo Apollo on sale there for $39.99. I bought one, just because...
That one is narrow.

Hey, I'm gonna go try the Apollo and the Century Accel(same as the Graco Comfort sport) next to each other in my little Mercury Tracer. And I'll put the Accel rearfacing. I'll report back on whether they fit next to each other or not.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Unsupportive Freeloader

:
Banked :
Donate
OKay, the Apollo(in the middle) and the Accel fit great next to each other, and there would be room for another Accel on the other side. The armrests on the Apollo just fit under the Accel(with pool noodles for correct angle used under the Accel)
Old 11-21-2003, 07:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

:
Banked :
Donate
Thanks, nodak

The problem is that our vehicles are leased. So we're stuck with them for another two years
Old 11-21-2003, 07:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Unsupportive Freeloader

:
Banked :
Donate
No problem, gave me a chance to play "carseat tech" anyway.

SIL ran into that problem. Right before she found out she was pregnant, they leased a VW Beetle. Not a good car to have with a baby.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
My biggest fear is that there is no PMS and that this is my personality.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Twinklestars is a true blue SybermomTwinklestars is a true blue SybermomTwinklestars is a true blue SybermomTwinklestars is a true blue SybermomTwinklestars is a true blue SybermomTwinklestars is a true blue SybermomTwinklestars is a true blue SybermomTwinklestars is a true blue SybermomTwinklestars is a true blue SybermomTwinklestars is a true blue SybermomTwinklestars is a true blue Sybermom
:
Banked :
Donate
I had two Evenflo infant seats and a Century SM in the back of my Explorer before we got the minivan. I could also fit 3 seats in dh's old Taurus.

I would check out the seats based on width and safety ratings.
I am not one of those who believe - broadly speaking - that women are better than men. We have not wrecked railroads, nor corrupted legislatures, nor done many unholy things that men have done; but then we must remember that we have not had the chance.- Jane Addams
Twinklestars is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Unsupportive Freeloader

ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC
:
Banked :
Donate
I have had three seats in the back of a taurus- a smartmove, and two evenflo medallions (one with an overhead shield.)

I can get three in the back of our benz, no prob. I have used a century 1000STE, the evenflo ultara V, and a cnetury breverra contour. I can't remember which way the evenflo and the 1000STE faced. I have also used an evenflo overhead shield and 2 RF infant carriers in there. It was tight, but it worked.

The ultara was the forerunner to the triumph (or titan? I think prolly titan- the one without the splayed out seat, more square standard seat style) I think. The ste is still sold and has been upgraded. It is a VERY safe seat but has some really inconvenient features.

My guess is that the marathon will be your problem every time.

Can you put H. in a booster combo? And then maybe the two titans would fit on either side.

I think you will be able to fit some combo of seats back there. My guess is that combo won't include the marathon.
ImaC is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Unsupportive Freeloader

ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC ImaC
:
Banked :
Donate
Oh and I have many times sat between my two kids (in a variety of carseats) in the back of my corolla.

Never say never.
ImaC is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:53 PM   #19 (permalink)
Yeah that.
Hard-Core Sybermom

:
Banked :
Donate
Wugh. WTF am I going to do with this Marathon? I love it. And it was expensive!
Old 11-25-2003, 05:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Awww.... Loona loves me!
Unsupportive Freeloader

Adoptive Mommy is a cherry bitch
:
Banked :
Donate
We have an Intrepid, and in the back of it I have DS's EvenFlo Comet, and DD's Graco Turbo Booster. I think there would be room for a 3rd seat back there.

It's a possibility for us as we are applying to adopt #3 in the spring, and if things move fast we'll end up with 3 in seats.

DD still has about 4 inches to grow before growing out of her bpb.

Good luck finding seats. I like DS's comet b/c I can adjust the straps from the front, but I am not thinking it might be a crappy bpb. Then again after dd's Graco.. it makes other bpb look horrid.

GOOD LUCK!

-J
Adoptive Mommy is offline   < Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote