Are Your Kids Online? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Featured Articles and Topics Featured parenting topics in the community.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Are Your Kids Online?

Click here to enlarge

In today's world, the Internet is a fact of life. Even if you want to keep your kids off of the Web, they’ll need to learn responsible usage at some point for school, work and to be a functioning member of society. Keeping your kids off of the Internet until they’re ready and teaching them responsible usage can be tricky. Should your children have a web presence – and if so, how much of one?

The Internet Is a Dangerous Place

There’s no question that the Internet can be dangerous. Anyone can pretend to be someone else behind a computer screen, including sexual predators who may feel sheltered by the seeming anonymity of their screen personas. Privacy concerns are genuine. What could seem like an innocuous piece of information, including where your child goes to school, could lead someone right to your doorstep.

Less scary but still damaging to a growing child’s mind and fragile ego is the cruelty of strangers on the Internet. Anything that’s put on the Web stays on the Web. Even if hidden behind “privacy” filters, accidents happen and privacy settings can change over time. Your child has to be able to remember that anything they put on the Internet is forever and can be accessed by virtually anyone.

The Internet is Necessary

Living in the world today requires individuals to be at least somewhat proficient in technology. Like it or not, the Internet is here to stay. As your child grows, he or she will use the Web for various things, including research for school projects and filling out applications for after-school jobs. Your child must learn how to safely and successfully navigate the Internet.

Using the Internet and having a web presence are two entirely different things, however. Your child can use the Internet for essential functions without joining a social media site or using it for entertainment purposes. Some parents feel this is the right way to go: allow your child to be a passive user without generating content. Other parents approve of their children becoming actively engaged.

What Age Should I Let My Child Use the Internet?

The age at which you introduce your child to ‘net usage is a hotly debated topic. Some parents feel that introducing their kids to the Internet and the safety rules that go along with it at a young age removes the chance for disaster. In other words, by making the Internet a regular part of your child’s life from the beginning, you normalize it.

On the other hand, some parents feel that the Internet should wait until children learn concepts like self-control, self-censorship and basic social etiquette. By waiting until your children develop the skills necessary to keep themselves safe on the Web, it’s possible to avoid many of the hazards that are inherent in Internet use.
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer as to when it’s safe to introduce your child to the Internet. When you allow them to log on for the first time, their level of involvement is entirely up to you.

Safely Introducing Your Child to the Internet

Whether you’re working with a seven-year-old or a teenager, you should be present and active in your child’s online life. Keeping the computer in a common area in the house and actively supervising or monitoring your child’s activity removes the chance of them stumbling upon the more unseemly elements of the Internet while keeping avenues open for a running dialogue on Internet usage and what they’re accessing.

How much of the Internet you allow your child to use is entirely up to you. Some parents find allowing their child to have an e-mail address is an acceptable level of usage, while others prefer to share a joint account with their child. Still others prefer their child to have no Internet presence whatsoever and will direct all e-mail for a child to the parent’s account.
A growing number of parents feel that sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram aren‘t acceptable until the child reaches the sites’ terms of service (which state users must be at least 13 with parental consent).

Bottom Line

There’s no right or wrong way to introduce your child to the Internet. It’s largely a matter of personal preference. Much like drugs and alcohol, having an open, ongoing and honest discussion with your child about your wishes, the dangers of using and the legalities concerning usage is appropriate in all cases.

Every child is different and every child develops differently. Your child may be mature enough to understand the dangers inherent in Internet usage and can be trusted to maintain a safe, active online presence. In the long run, it’s no loss if your child doesn’t use the Internet more than necessary and gets sent outside to play.

Last edited by Cricket VS; 02-10-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Child Tracking Device

Hi! I am new to this and can not figure out how to start a new thread, but your post KIND of related to what I was looking to ask! I have 3 and 7 year old. I have been looking into the "child tracking" gps devices, these are wearable. Trax is one that I have been really looking at (kind of pricy Click here to enlarge) But I wanted to see what other mommys thought of these devices! I am abit weary of getting one, but thinking that during vaca's and etc it would be useful! Could you think of any other places that this may be useful?? (Trying to convince myself the pro's and con's of buying!)Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Got to read an article with a tracking device to his children gadgets. An app which you can download to your phone, and install to your kids ipads, by the time you switch it off, it automatically shuts down the kids gadget, and he cannot open it again unless you give the password.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Blue Tongue Lizard

My daughter is already 13 and I already allowed her to go online when she was 10. But i make sure that i monitor what she is doing online and don't allow her to use her gadgets excessively.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:28 AM
Blue Tongue Lizard

I always see to it that my kids are responsible enough to visit the appropriate sites. Besides. I'm a hands on mom and I monitor them when they are using the internet. So far, they are well disciplined in terms of those things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.