Sybermoms Parenting Forum - View Single Post - I'm going to blog my way through my potential layoff in here
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
bleedsink
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to bleedsink
I'm going to blog my way through my potential layoff in here

So on Monday I was told that as of July 1 I will no longer have my job. The foundation will be creating a new position of Communications Associate (a downgrade from my current position) and I'm being actively encouraged to apply. But it's being posted publicly so there is no guarantee that it is mine -- and there are two other people who are laid off as well who could be candidates for this job.

So I have to update my resume and line up my references. The references pose a problem, the Foundation president is in the midst of making calls to some of our stakeholders letting them know about the upcoming strategic changes and has asked that we give her time to make those calls before we broadcast our need to job search. I had no problem giving her a week or so until today when I saw a news story about a state position (public affairs for one of the state college systems) opening up. This position would be fantastic. It also will be highly competitive and if I wait too long to apply it might be filled.

Some of the people I'd like to ask for references are journalists (either former colleagues or reporters I've worked with over the last four years). Journalists are a gossipy group Click here to enlarge which could come in handy in terms of networking/job search but could also prompt a call in the capacity of doing a news story of "so we've heard there are layoffs - is the foundation in financial trouble?" especially from the reporters we work with the most.

So now I get to ask my boss and the foundation president exactly how long they need to make calls, because I have some reaching out to do.

I've come to the conclusion that I think I prefer the newspaper way of doing layoffs - here's a box, you have 45 minutes to clear your workstation of personal belongings. At least then you don't have to walk a tightrope of keeping your job while searching for a job.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome