Nursing: beginning to end - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
More Support Than Your 18-Hour Bra Stunned friends? Illness in the family? DH grating on your last nerve? Whatever has you overwhelmed, come on in for more support than an 18-hour bra can give you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Nursing: beginning to end

Dd was born on 11-30-02, in a very baby-unfriendly hospital. I had one flat nipple and was promptly given a nipple shield by my nurse. Big mistake. In addition, the fuckers gave my girl a bottle before ever allowing her to nurse. I didn't see her for five hours after the c-section. One and a half weeks postpartum, I awoke in the middle of the night to chills so bad I could hardly move. My nails and eyelids were blue. I took a Tylenol. My morning, my left breast was swollen. I was given a short round of antibiotics. Within days of finishing those and exactly one week after waking to mastitis, my breast was a red, painful mess again.

Fast forward to a few weeks later....mastitis in the other breast, which is peeling away like a sunburn, thrush in both breasts, and two extremely traumatized nipples. My mom said it looked like someone took a torch to my right nipple. She wasn't exaggerating. Oh, I wanted to throw in the towel. I was pissed and tired. I was pumping every two to three hours day and night. I could not nurse dd because of the pain.

Fast forward a couple more weeks...my saving grace, the world's best LC, helps me get baby back to breast and has both nipples in decent shape. Still fighting Raynaud's but at least I wasn't bleeding anymore. It's a few more weeks before dd loses her bottle preference, but soon we are nursing like champs. At about four months, I get my first taste of painless nursing.

Things were great until 8 mos, when dd decided nursing like a newbie was a good thing again. Those all night marathons had me ready to wean. I was determined to give her a full year, though, and we started weaning at 13 mos with the goal to be done by 18 mos. Some of the sessions went quickly; some slowly. I held onto the last, the early morning feeding, until three days ago. Now, dd takes a sippy of water in the morning and miraculously, falls back to sleep for a little while longer.

We are done! I have mixed emotions, but mostly, I am happy as a clam about it. Back in real dresses and drinking all the coffee I like. YAY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

heehee that's 11-30-00.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Dayum Yvette, that sounds awful. Kudos to you for sticking with it!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 11:31 PM
delibean
Ambulance Chaser

WOW
I am nearing the end of nursing too. Clara is nearly 21 months and I am kinda looking forward to it but dredding it as well
good for you for sticking it out
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2002, 11:45 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Way to go, Yvette! Click here to enlarge

I love to hear stories from women who had trouble in the beginning and then were able to overcome their difficult starts. That speaks volumes about your will-power and integrity.

ds1 weaned at 19 months, and only then b/c I was pg and had very sore nipples. I remember the way I felt, and it was hard to describe. Sad/happy, I guess.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:25 PM

Yvette,

That's such an awesome story! I used to think that I had problems establishing a nursing relationship w/DD, but my trials were nothing compared to what you did to stick w/it-- that's so cool!

Anyway, I know what you mean about weaning. DD weaned at 16 months and I felt a mixture of sadness and relief. Just watch out-- my OB said that you're EXTRA fertile when just having weaned. I am now pregnant again after not listening. Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:28 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Revvie
Oy Yvette. Click here to enlarge I had troubles in the beginning, but not as badly as that.

Ds weaned last week - he will still ask for nursies every couple of days, but is not the least bit annoyed or upset when I remind him "we dont' do that anymore".

It is a relief, and I'm not sad at all b/c I know we did this for a great time and he benefited from all of it. Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in