34 years old and freaking falling apart. - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
More Support Than Your 18-Hour Bra Stunned friends? Illness in the family? DH grating on your last nerve? Whatever has you overwhelmed, come on in for more support than an 18-hour bra can give you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

34 years old and freaking falling apart.

Dammit, I can't win for losing.

I had a cardiac ablation last year to get rid of the worst of my WPW symptoms, and that worked. I was able to come off medicine to keep my heart rate down and stave off the tachycardic episodes (which really sucked, btw).

I was cleared 6 months ago to start in an exercise program from cardiac patients. I've whipped my ass into pretty good shape in terms of exercise tolerance (ie, I can run 3-4 miles on the treadmill now and not feel like I am going to die) and I actually see muscles I haven't seen in a long time. I've dropped 2 clothing sizes, but have not dropped any additional weight in over 3 months.

Three months ago, I had some wierd stuff going on with my blood sugar. I felt like crap one day in the office about 3 hours after lunch...shaky, headache, couldn't concentrate. I felt awful. I checked my blood sugar on a lark and it was 221. I went to my doctor the next day and he ran some tests, and my fasting blood sugar was ok. But my blood pressure was also high. You can't diagnose hypertension on one visit, so I have been going back once a month since then. It's not gotten any better. I have been doing South Beach (there is too much coronary artery disease in my family for me to stick to Atkins), and going to the gym WITH A TRAINER 4-5 times a week, and none of it is changing.

SO, I went back today, and had a 3 hour glucose tolerance test, as well as a repeat on my blood pressure. Today, it was the worst it has been in AGES. 154/104. Click here to enlarge

Then, the lab called. I failed my 3 hour gtt. I am diabetic. AND hypertensive.

WTF?

SO, he started me on glucophage, and two different bp meds (a calcium channel blocker and an ACE inhibitor), have to start monitoring my blood sugar 4 times a day, and tomorrow have to do a diabetes education class, do some other labwork to see if there is some other underlying problem (like PCOS..in the last 6 months, my periods have been weird and unpredictable) that's driving the symptoms, and then go back in 3 weeks to follow up.

I finished school, took boards, started a new job, got divorced, had heart surgery, moved, am job-hunting again to get out of this area, have a stressful job that interrupts my sleep, I'm a completely single parent, and now this...all in the same year.

WTF next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I am so sorry.

You have done so many positive things, this is just a small setback. I am always amazed at what a strong person you are and I enjoy reading your posts so much!

You have medical background and you seem to have taken so many positive things. This is a minor setback, just a minor one. I know it seems overwhelming but because you are so strong..you will get through this!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge Thanks, Thatsit...that makes me feel better.

Are you ready for your surgery? Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm freaking out a little and dh is acting like an ass. When he gets home he can figure out what the hell is for dinner. I'm in pain and I do.not feel like catering to him.

He tells me he had a bad day. I'm having surgery in two days..bad day..he can kiss my ass.

/end rant.

I'll be praying for you. Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Right back atcha...

I can't believe he's acting like that; but it's not uncommon for them to do that. I think when something disrupts the status quo, it kind of rocks their world a little bit. Of course, that doesn't make it any easier for YOU....
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm so sorry you're dealing with all this. Click here to enlarge what is WPW? Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome...it's a cardiac rhythm disorder that causes episodes where your heart rate just takes off into the stratosphere for no real reason; sometimes the episodes go away on their own, can be controlled with medication, or you can do various things to get them to go away (ie, take a deep breath and bear down to stimulate the vagal nerve), and if none of those work, they cardiovert your heart using drugs or electricity to get it to go back to normal.

I maxed on medication to keep my heart rate normal, so I had an ablation done last November to get rid of the extra electrical circuitry that causes the episodes. It worked. My resting rate immediately cut down to half of what it was (a nicely normal mid 70s!) and I have not had an episode where it takes off and runs (I went into V-tach, which can kill you if left un-converted, three times prior to having the ablation done) since then, and all my echos, EKGs, and Holter monitor tests have been normal since then.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 05:29 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yikes.
That's so much to go through, and I'm sorry you've had to deal with all that.
You seem strong. I know it probably doesn't mean much to hear it, especially with how you're feeling about it all, but you got through the other MINOR setbacks, and you'll get through this too.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 05:30 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Babycatcher, I am sorry you are not doing well and I am sorry for the diagnosis. But the diabetes and hypertension often go hand-in-hand. You will need to be particularly careful in monitoring any heart issues because with diabetes symptoms can go unnoticed (my uncle has diabetes and has had heart issues--his dr. stress tests him every year because of his diabetes. Diabetes blunts the pain the average person may feel with heart problems).

I do want to suggest you talk to your dr. about the reasons for getting you on so much medicine immediately. I don't think it is the best idea to bring out all the guns before he sees how your hypertension and diabetes reacts to lesser measures--i.e., Type 2 diabetes can often be treated with just diet and exercise, and most nephrologists start you out on the smallest dose of anti-hypertensives that do the job first. Anyway, I'm not trying to be critical of your dr. but I just think that many of them jump immediately on the medicine path before considering the effect on the patient--all of those medicines have side effects, and not pleasant.

If you want to know more, please PM me.

I'm thinking your stress has a lot to do with your physical health right now. I hope you can find some less stressful work to at least help on that end.

Good luck and I hope things get better for you.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

WTB, I have had to do the hypertensive med route before, and beta blockers make me MISERABLE...I did that to help control my heart rate prior to my cardiac ablation, and on the max dose of Toprol a day, it did nothting to my heart rate anymore, and not much to my blood pressure.

In addition to hypertension and WPW, I also have grade III mitral valve prolapse and when my blood pressure rises, it sets off strings of PVC's...unfortunately, strings of PVCs also was what preceded the tachy episodes with the WPW crap.

I have been on a low carb diet and a monitored exercise program for the last 6 months with little change in my weight (I seem to play with the same 5 pounds here lately) and no changes in my blood pressure, although my cholesterol is better. Hence, the meds.

I staved him off for 4 months on BP meds, but when I started back in with the strings of 7-8 PVCs in a row 2-3 times an hour, and the luverly hypertension headaches, I really couldn't say no anymore.

The diabetes thing threw me for a loop....I know I have had some wild swings in my blood sugars lately, and a random BG on Monday was in the 220s, which is what prompted me to walk over to my internist's office (I work in a large multispecialty clinic) and tell him about it, so he suggested a glucose tolerance test, which I had done yesterday and subsequently failed. I went to the diabetes educator today, and I feel a little better about things; with continuing a decent diet, continuing the exercise, and using meds, I may get the weight off of me (a girl can dream, right?) which will improve both the diabetes and hypertension.

I felt a little dizzy headed last night after taking my BP meds, but for the first time in over a week, my head didn't hurt!!!! I'll take that as an improvement; plus my BP this morning when I got to my office was a cool 114/68.

I got a new job in VA that I will be moving for in about 6 weeks...better pay, better working hours, a lighter patient load compared to where I am now. I will also have more help with my kids because my parents live close to where I will be, and my SO lives less than an hour away, too....so that lightens my stress load considerably.

I think my freakout is about over...I just need to buckle down and deal with it. It's not a death sentence, but certainly a wake up call to make myself a priority which I have not done in a very long time.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Well then it sounds like you are doing everything you can and you need a little help. I can understand that. I just know how quick drs. are sometimes to prescribe--my aunt who is married to the uncle with diabetes just got diagnosed herself, and her dr. immediately prescribed the glucophage without discussing diet/exercise.

The education class is good. If your insurance pays for it sometimes a nutritionist can help but it sounds like you may already have enough info.

Good news on the BP, hope it continues to stabilize as well as the diabetes. Good luck to you.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I think it's awesome than you run at all. Good job. Don't ever ask me what happens when I run on the treadmill. Click here to enlarge
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 04:00 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Harlot
Wow, you are dealing with a lot. I admire all that you are doing and I'm highly impressed. I'm not much of a runner either. Click here to enlarge I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I never thought I could...
Steady feet, don't fail me now

I don't remember what day this is without coffee, but it's a day and it's going.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks y'all!

I got that new job in VA, so I will be moving in about 6 weeks, which reduces the stress level considerably. My parents will only be a couple of hours away, SO will be about 45 minutes away, and besides better pay and better hours, I just think this new practice will be a lot less stress.

I'm starting to get used to the BP meds; I've stopped feeling dizzy headed with them, though Glucophage makes me feel like shit. The good thing? I have lost 3 pounds since I started taking it. So, maybe if I get my weight down enough, I won't have the problems with insulin resistance anymore.

I've just got to get rid of this wretched funk I caught from my little germ-mongers at home. Oh well, they say that the best way to get rid of a cold is to give it to someone else....at least they feel better!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

You have such a postive attitude. Weight loss can be so good for many health conditions, I'm so happy for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in