How do you know - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
More Support Than Your 18-Hour Bra Stunned friends? Illness in the family? DH grating on your last nerve? Whatever has you overwhelmed, come on in for more support than an 18-hour bra can give you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

How do you know

I'm wondering if I'm depressed or just going thru a funk. I feel ok most of the time, but just ok. Not good, really, ever. I fly off the handle all the time w/ my kids and dh. Nothing they do is right lately. I get irritated at the mess they make, crumbs on the table and floor, not pushing their chairs under the table, toys on the floor, not picking up after themselves, silly things like that. Things that kids always do and that I shouldn't get irritated with.

Then I'm exhausted all the time. I slept 10 hours Sat and Sun night and still took a 3 hour nap both days. I just want to sit on my ass all the time doing nothing and it pisses me off when I have to do normal housewifey type stuff. I literally get irritated when i have to get up and make the kids something to eat or fold a load of laundry.

I guess I'm just sick of feeling like ths. I have had to take meds before for depression and I'm wondering if I need to talk to my doc again or if I should just give it some more time to see if it blows over and I feel better again soon. Bleh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

That does sound like depression. I think you should talk to your doctor. Hope you feel better soon.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

How long has this been going on?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

A couple of weeks.

That's the thing... I go thru this every couple of months or so. Get in a funk that lasts a week or two, then it goes away. I'm just sick of getting in these moods. Nothing has happened to set it off. They just happen.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My only issue would be taking a med all the time for something that doesn't occur all the time, but people do take preventative meds all the time.

I say talk to your doctor. I hope you find a solution.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

That's my thing. I don't like the idea of taking meds when I don't feel bad all the time.

I am also scared to death of my sex driving decreasing even more than it already is. Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

The fact that you don't ever feel "good" is something that stands out to me.
I have gone the last 2 years without medication and I just kept slowly slipping downward, so that my irritable/fatigued time was increasing and my ok time was decreasing ever so slowly. I just went back on medication because I decided life is too short to just be getting by and not really enjoying anything.
I really encourage you to talk to your doctor and to be open to the idea of medication, or whatever he/she might suggest. I fought medication for the longest time so I know the feeling of not wanting to be on it.

800 miles in 2015
336/800
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

I've been on meds before, paxil, zoloft and lexapro. I know what to expect and I don't know why I am trying to put it off. I don't like myself right now, don't like the way I act and the negative attitude I have about everything. I hate faking nice and happy. Click here to enlarge

I'm going to call my doctor now.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Can you look back at your calendar and see if it coincides with your cycle? My pms got bad a few years after DS was born. I ended up taking generic prozac two weeks of the month. It works amazingly well. I had a hyst last year and still have ovaries. I started taking 10 mg daily vs. two weeks a month just because it was hard to track. Again, I can't stress how much of a difference that low dosage has made.

I hope you feel better. Oh...get your thyroid checked, too. Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

I have taken note of that as well. While it is worse during PMS/AF time, it's been hitting at random times of the month as well. I'm 2 weeks away from AF right now.

I called my doctor, just waiting for him to call back. Thanks everyone.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

glad you called AT Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Samantha Louise, 12 years old on 1/14/16
Hard-Core Sybermom

I also sometimes feel like I'm edgier than I should be, but I am hesitant to begin any sort of medication for what I, personally, feel is something I should be able to get myself out of. How does one know where the line is drawn?

--cited as one of sybermoms' most normal members.

http://365project.org/iowafalduto/365
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

That's my issue, Squig.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Maya 12 and Cole 17
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge

I don't mean to hijack this, but was waiting to see what people said, too. I've felt this same way for a long time and am just starting to think it may be depression. But I feel guilty, like it's just me having a bad attitude and that I should be able to shake it off, but I can't.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm waiting until after the election. If I haven't snapped out of this funk by then I'm calling my doc. *sigh*
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I know this should be obvious but I'm going to say it anyway...

Please, if you feel you (general you, this is in no way meant for anyone specific) are a danger to yourself of anyone else, diall 911.

That said, I hope you all find the help you need. Some people just need talk therapy. I started out on meds and now see a therapist once a week and a P-doc once a month. I have been med free since August. I would go back on meds in a heartbeat if my P-doc felt it necessary.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Having gone through something like this lately without the ability to take meds yet (doctor orders), I'd also suggest to have your thyroid levels checked. Click here to enlarge
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:16 PM
MIZ
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Hope you and your dr. figure out what's going on, AT.Click here to enlarge

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I felt like that alot and thought it was depression, turns out it was my thyroid. I was completely exhausted and crabbier than I care to remember.

Get some bloodwork done and do what you need to do to feel better no matter what it is. There is a little pill you can take when needed which worked well for me because I didn't want to get hooked on paxil, I think it was lorazepram?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:06 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Satori Send a message via Yahoo to Satori
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquigSoup
I also sometimes feel like I'm edgier than I should be, but I am hesitant to begin any sort of medication for what I, personally, feel is something I should be able to get myself out of. How does one know where the line is drawn?
I'm right there with you, Squig. I mean, it seems like many people are on meds, so there isn't a stigma about it, but I'm me. I know me. I can handle anything. I'm superwoman. I don't need no stupid meds, I can do this on my own. Click here to enlarge

Alrighty, you're in my thoughts. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in