Seroquel XR - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
More Support Than Your 18-Hour Bra Stunned friends? Illness in the family? DH grating on your last nerve? Whatever has you overwhelmed, come on in for more support than an 18-hour bra can give you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Seroquel XR

This is the latest in a series of anti-depressants (anti-psychotics, in this case Click here to enlarge) that my doctor has prescribed for me. She just diagnosed me with Bi-Polar Disorder Type II.

The first was Zoloft, which worked just beautifully for months, then just stopped. Click here to enlarge

Next was Cymbalta, which caused that dreaded sexual side effect (which wouldn't matter if I weren't alone Click here to enlarge) and did nothing else except make me drowsy/sluggish.

So now we try Seroquel XR. I'm on day 3, and it's making me feel like a zombie. It does seem to be suppressing my appetite, so I guess that's a bonus. But today I was supposed to work overtime (voluntary, not mandatory, so I'm not in trouble, but I can't work OT again for a month). I couldn't drag myself to work. I (SLOWLY Click here to enlarge) drove the boys to school, then came home and crawled back into bed, where I slept again from 9:30 am to 2:00 pm.

I feel like I'm stoned and I don't like it. Why is my doctor prescribing "downers" to a known depressive/BPD? Sure, my thoughts have stopped racing somewhat, but then ALL my thoughts have slowed and I hate it.

I've asked specifically for Wellbutrin because so many of you here swear by it. She is reluctant to give it to me for some reason and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Antidepressants in the true sense are supposed to be a no no with Bi-Polar IIRC.

I could totally be off though.

Keep the lines of communication open with your doctor. Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Click here to enlarge I feel like she won't listen to me.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Get on the phone with your insurance and chose another one if she actually won't listen. Maybe it's just your perception because you aren't getting what you want/think you need. Give her a chance to do her job but if she is shutting you down consistently it is time to find a new therapist.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Also, have you looked at NAMI (National Association of Mental Illness) for local meetings? They often do group support meetings for people struggling with mental illness. You can learn about your diagnosis and talk to other people who struggle. I always find great comfort talking to others who share diagnosis with myself whether is be support meetings for WLS or my 12 step meetings. Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Once upon a time...
Hard-Core Sybermom

When do you take the Seroquel, Tuna? My sister takes hers at bedtime and she does so much better. I believe hers is the XR, too. It really helps and is a godsend for her. (She is Bipolar I, btw.)

"I feel very Shane today......"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

My dr. advised me to take it at bedtime, too. Click here to enlarge It is helping a lot.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to SexyKnickers
Seroquel XR

I have a nephew who has bipolar and he takes it at bedtime. It is part of a cocktail that works really well for him.

Iirc it took some tweaking and some getting used to.

Good luck!

Dr. FMT hosts the best candlelight suppers in any postal code
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

I do feel...odd. Different. Not myself. But in a good way. Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm om 800 mgs of of it at night along with about 6 or so other meds.

I was at 900 but that dose was toxic to me. It's helped me a huge amount. Well, the cocktail it's part of helped but the Seroquel played a big part in it. Oh and I'm also Bipolar 2, rapid cycling.

I don't believe in ghosts.
Neither do I. But they believe in me.

http:/rtraitsbyaleks.com
My Etsy Shop a work in progress
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Revvie
I'm Bipolar I. I've taken Seroquel in the past and it was horrible for me. Sleeping 18 hours at a time, that sort of thing.

Right now, I'm only on lamotrigine. It's doing a good job of holding me stable. Late last winter, I had to tack on zydis for a while and then switched to Epival when I couldn't afford the zydis any longer. I had to discontinue the Epival, though, because I was too sedated and couldn't function. Thankfully, I seem to have gotten over the blip (I think it was caused by insomnia) and have gone back to lamotrigine only.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Revvie
Sorry, lamotrigine = lamictal.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm so lame it hurts

zithromax where to buy

Zithromax it is a gad about b associate with opprobrious which inviolate is conventionally cast-off seeing that treatment of some taints of a skin. Requirements zithromax with no prescription can be directed, administer with: covering and behind breathing taints of fleshly trajectories, a pharyngitis (a throat infection); a tonsillitis, sinus taints; uncertain events the confirmed obstructive lung contagion, a pneumonia, and also dogged.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm so lame it hurts

zithromax where to buy

Zithromax it is a deadened which entire is hesitation occupied allowing in behalf of at all events treatment of some taints of a skin. Requirements zithromax can be directed, departmentalize: mastery and behind breathing taints of procreant trajectories, a pharyngitis (a throat irritation); a tonsillitis, sinus taints; on the peculate events the long-lived obstructive lung virus, a pneumonia, and also unwavering.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

GTFO spammer! Click here to enlarge
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

If you have BPII, Wellbutrin can make you go into a manic state so that may be why.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in