broken arm - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
More Support Than Your 18-Hour Bra Stunned friends? Illness in the family? DH grating on your last nerve? Whatever has you overwhelmed, come on in for more support than an 18-hour bra can give you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 09:44 AM
guawsgirl
Ambulance Chaser

broken arm

my daughter broke her arm monday and i am having a hard time with her. she won't take her meds, she doesn't want anything. she runs around like a normal 2 year old and that scares me the most. it is like nothing is wrong. summer is coming and now she won't be able to play outside in the water for 6weeks!!
has anyone else dealt with this? also, how do i give a kid that LOVES the water a sponge bath? i have tried and it doesn't seem like she gets clean enough. can someone give me advice on this? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to gingah Send a message via Yahoo to gingah Send a message via Skype™ to gingah
I wouldn't worry. Doesn't sound like she's in a lot of pain or anything. What are the meds for?

Re the bathing - what about a shallow bath and wrap her arm up in a bag to keep the cast dry?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:29 AM
guawsgirl
Ambulance Chaser

the meds are for her pain. she gets periods of being very irritable and i ask if her arm hurts and she shakes her head yes.

do you think if i put it in a bag during bathtime, it would keep it dry enough?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to gingah Send a message via Yahoo to gingah Send a message via Skype™ to gingah
If it's just a *shallow* bath and you tape the bag over her cast/arm and try to keep it away from the water as much as possible, then it should be ok. Keep the bath time short too. Run this by your ped/doc of course.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 10:43 AM
guawsgirl
Ambulance Chaser

thanks.. i'll try it tonite.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 06:57 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

When DS broke his wrist he was not in an awful lot of pain, usually only took meds to go to bed, and maybe when he woke up.

What is she on? Some of those liquid narcotics taste just vile (other DS was on liquid morphine or maybe demerol when he had surgery...gross, gross, gross).

We did shallow baths with 2 bags taped over his arm, he was fine. I tucked the bag into the top of the cast and taped like mad over it. We never had any water touching that cast even when he "accidentally" threw his whole arm in the water.

Hope she feels better soon. My guy had his cast for trick or treating. He hated it Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Big was in casts from his toes to his hips after orthopaedic surgery. They were tratitional plaster casts from toes to knee, with fiberglass wrapping over that and up to the hips. He managed to get into the tub with his brother, casts and all. Nothing horrible happened. The padding was wet at the top and bottom openings and it took a while to dry (hair dryer on low), but that was the only consequence. They didn't even consider recasting.

So, if she gets a little wet at the top of the cast near the bag opening while in the tub, no biggie.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

DD broke her leg - I know how awful it is! We didn't take a lot of 'regular' baths, but we did the plastic bag/tape thing when we did.

We also used the personal bathing cloths for days she didn't take a bath. They're soft cloths you can warm in the microwave and give them a sponge bath of sorts. You can find them in the drugstore.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 02:33 PM
guawsgirl
Ambulance Chaser

thanks guys... now the problem we have is that she won't let us wrap her cast up in plastic. not sure if she's scared it going to hurt or what. so we've still been doing the sponge thing. tomorrow nite, daddy is going to be home ((he has school Mon-Wed-Thurs)) and he's going to help wrap the arm up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in