I'm confused about dh - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
More Support Than Your 18-Hour Bra Stunned friends? Illness in the family? DH grating on your last nerve? Whatever has you overwhelmed, come on in for more support than an 18-hour bra can give you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Babyface
Ambulance Chaser

I'm confused about dh

Please read this story before reading the rest of my post:

https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/show...almost+left+us

Story: For the last few days before this note, I have been telling dh to tie up the blind cords before he goes to bed. He'll pull the blinds down and leave the cords hanging. I guess he is either too lazy or forgetful.

Well, we were talking last night about things, and one of the things that upset him was the fact that he had just fallen asleep and I asked him to tie up the cords (this is the 3rd night in a row that he forgot). I had tied them up the first time, the 2nd and 3rd times, I got him to do it.

This is the conversation (as closely as I can remember):

dh-I was comfortable and had just fallen asleep and you woke me to tell me to tie up the cords."

me-I am talking about the baby's safety. His safety is more important than you being comfortable.

dh-The kid is not going to walk out here in the middle of the night and play with the cords. I would've tied them up in the morning.

My question is that he has called him on more than 1 occasion "the kid". Given the story in the linked post above, does calling him "the kid" mean that he is in anyway resentful of ds? *I* would never and have never called him "the kid". I think it is disrespectful. It might be something that I would call someone else's child, but not my own. Am I reading too much into this? I'm just trying to sort out what is going on in the relationship until we get counseling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Not that I'm a professional or anything, but I am thinking he may feel a little more detached than resentful. Good luck with the counseling, I hope things work out for you.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Babyface
Ambulance Chaser

What do you mean by detached? How can I change that? I don't want him to feel that way.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Is he involved in caring for your ds? I mean, in the daily stuff? Does he play with him, read stories to him, take him out?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I call my children "the kid" at times and I am nowhere near detached.

You should have woke him up in the morning the second the baby stirred and asked him to do it then--it's what he wanted and it might help him to remember to fix them before bed next time.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I call my dd "the girl", and like Sourpuss am not detached from her at all.

I do think it's as much his responsibility to ensure your child's safety as is it is yours. If you have to continually remind him to do things, it's like having two children. I hope your counseling goes well.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Ambulance Chaser

The kids' safety isn't something I get into a power struggle with dh about, ever. He doesn't either, if he sees me being more lax with our kids than he is comfortable with. I think waking him and sort of scolding him is more disrespectful than him calling his child, "the kid". I can totally see how you'd be annoyed and angered by him not doing something that is very high on your safety priorities, but you are your kid's mom, not your dh's
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 11:41 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Barbie
Is this a task that you are not physically able to do, and that is why you woke him up? Or were you just pissed he didn't do it? I mean to say, if I left a glass or something where the baby could get it and DH saw it, he would pick it up, not come and tell me to pick it up.

And my DH calls our children things like that quite affectionately. Up until we had the baby, he would call the oldest "kid" lots of times, or "the girl". Now they are "the girl" and "the other girl". This is said in love and to be silly - he calls them by thier names and by sweetheart, honey, cuteness, etc quite a lot as well.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 02:11 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

We've called our boys "that kid", "the kid", "the kids", ect. I don't think it's disrespectful at all. I guess it would depend on the tone used? I also wonder the same things that Barbie does about why you woke him up to take care of it.

I hope counseling goes well for you both.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 06:50 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally posted by Babyface
What do you mean by detached? How can I change that? I don't want him to feel that way.
I used detached because of this:

Quote:
Originally posted by Babyface
I went to the front door to see if dh was home yet and noticed a folded up piece of paper taped to the front door. In it was a list of 'pet peeves' and complaints he has about me/our relationship. No 'Think about these things. I love you both, and I'll be back in a few hours so we can discuss them."

Dh is the type that doesn't express what he is feeling at all. I always have to pry stuff out of him.... So everything was fine last night and this morning. Everything seemed so normal. We did not bicker, argue, snap at each other.
Not so much that he called him "the kid". Some people become emotionally detached when they are depressed. It's just something to consider. Counseling is a good thing.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I think first of all you need to tie up the blind cords yourself (if you are physically capable) for your baby's safety. If you cannot rely on him to do it, there's no point in nagging him about it--because he just isn't going to do it.

I don't think referring to your child as "the kid" is meant to be disrespectful. He may not even realize he is doing this. I've referred to my child as "the kid" and I'm not detached, nor disrespectful, either.

I did read the original thread, BTW, so I think I understand your situation.

It is easier to build strong children than to repair b.roken men.
-Frederick Douglass

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I think DH calling him "the kid" is minor in the scheme of things. It may be something that you could address during your counseling sessions. Sounds like you guys may have some passive/aggressive things going on.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Oh, and BTW, Babyface, thanks for trying to steal my points after I responded to your post Click here to enlarge (((BUTTFUCKS)))

It is easier to build strong children than to repair b.roken men.
-Frederick Douglass

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Babyface
Ambulance Chaser

The way he called him "the kid" and in the context and tone of voice upset me. Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way, but he has said it on more than one occasion.

Yes, I am physically able to tie up the cords. Let me explain further what transpired that night. Background info: ds currently sleeps in our bed at night...by himself. He will not sleep in his crib anymore. And he wakes more often when either one of us sleep in the bed with him. We will be buying a mattress exactly like ours to put on the floor of his room. Until then, the both of us are sleeping in the family room (me on sofa, dh on recliner). We were both lying down ready to fall asleep. I guess he had just fallen asleep, and I asked him to look over (he can see the window and I can't from our positions) to see if he tied up the cords. He said no, and I asked him to do it, since he was the one that lowered the blinds. I do not feel comfortable leaving the cord down over night because I am afraid I will forget about it. I don't want to take the chance. Simple as that.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Babyface
Ambulance Chaser

You're welcome, sweetie. Click here to enlarge
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Babyface
Ambulance Chaser

In my defense, I saw your points on the ME before I checked this post. Click here to enlarge
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:16 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Dh sounds a little depressed maybe or feeling trapped in a situation he's not happy in. To keep the peace I'd tie up the cords myself and not make a big deal out of it. I hope counselling works. When is it going to start? Did you post that? I can't remember.

Keep us updated.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Can you cut the cords and reattach the little knob thingies?

Not that that will solve all of your problems, but it will give you and dh one less thing to argue about.

Good luck.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I was thinking too...don't they make some sort of thing you can attach to the cords? Safety First or someone like that.

Found a link Cord Wind Ups

I hope this helps!
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Oh and I meant to say I've seen them at Wal-mart and Target.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in