More than Troubled Teen - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
More Support Than Your 18-Hour Bra Stunned friends? Illness in the family? DH grating on your last nerve? Whatever has you overwhelmed, come on in for more support than an 18-hour bra can give you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

More than Troubled Teen

I am looking for advice and support with my 16 year old teenage boy. He has been in a great deal of trouble in the past including a 10 month stay in a juvenile facility. He was diagnosed ADHD, ODD, Bipolar, Mood Disorder and he's not easy to deal with. He is violent and angry about something all the time. Despite every attempt I've made at being a good parent by getting counseling and medicating him, he continues to be the bane of my existence. That is a sad realization for me when I feel like I hate my own kid most days.
His recent tirades have included punching holes in the walls of his bedroom and the kitchen (in my brand new house) and kicking holes in the doors of his bedroom. All these things happen because I either limit his wifi usage or ask him to unlock the door to take his meds. The cops won't do anything because they say it's his house too. He's been trespassed from one alternative school and now basically refuses to go to another or gives the teachers nothing but grief when he's there. He will be 17 in the fall and I'm at my wit's end! Looking for some advice...please don't tell me to spank him, he's almost 6 feet tall and weighs about 180 so that's not gonna happen.
Thanks,
C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Location: Attending this week's secret breastfeeding propaganda meeting

Have the counselors he's seen suggested anything? Is it possible the meds he's on are an incorrect dosage or the wrong ones? Can you get a second opinion on that?

T-shirts for all occasions. Even Canadian Thanksgiving.

www.ltrny.com
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hi there!

So sorry you're having such problems with your son. No parent can understand those until they have experienced it for themselves. For myself, when my son was struggling with ADHD, I sought out information to get informed, started him on medication, and took him to behavioral therapy. Those may be options for you as well. As for ODD, I don't know too much but a good friend of mine's daughter struggled with it, and she gave me some resources that helped her better understand and address the disorder. For instance, this infographic really helped her realize some strategies and therapy to try: https://www.liahonaacademy.com/oppos...phic-info.html

I have turned to a resource called Help Your Teen Now when my oldest daughter was having depression and body image issues. And for my son with his ADHD. They have an infographic too about helping teens with behavioral disorders that might be beneficial to look at:
http://helpyourteennow.com/creating-...s-infographic/

From the looks of it, it seems like creating structure and starting therapy (whether it be individual, family, cognitive, behavioral, etc) is the best place to start.

Again, so sorry you're having to deal with that! It is heartbreaking and frustrating when your child is difficult to be around. Best of luck to you, I hope my resources can be of some help.

xoxo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in