ppd? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
More Support Than Your 18-Hour Bra Stunned friends? Illness in the family? DH grating on your last nerve? Whatever has you overwhelmed, come on in for more support than an 18-hour bra can give you!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 10:38 PM
mum
Ambulance Chaser

ppd?

i am just wondering if anyone has experienced it? i don't mean the normal baby blues i mean all out depression ...

is it possible to treat it without the use of anti-depressants?

i am not so deep into it that i am contemplating suicide or having bad thoughts about my kids... i just cry constantly and cannot get my inside straightened out enough to get my outside straight. does that make sense?? it has been going on for about 3 weeks. dd is 8mos. i had it BAD after my boys were born for about 18mos but never got treated. i kept telling myself i was just being stupid. i promised myself i would get help this time if i started to feel things slipping away again. they are not just slipping they are in an all out avalanche.

Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 11:14 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I hope this link works: http://64.4.14.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_l...rtumdepression

It is a ppd message board. Though most moms there use anti-depressants, some have experience treating depression with herbal remedies, such as Rescue Remedy and fish oils (I believe) as well as exercise and nutrition.

If the link doesn't work, I got the original link from kellymom.com. I only visited a short time, but found them helpful in the beginning.

Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 03:26 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Revvie
B complex vitamins help, as does eating fish high in omega-3 fatty acids. (Or any other source of omega-3.) I've been using both of these in addition to my Rx.

I don't have any other personal experience with non Rx treatments, sorry. Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 05:28 PM
Jerry Springer's Mom of the Year
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Ma Drunkard Send a message via Skype™ to Ma Drunkard
Bfmum, my dd is 8 mo. and I am battling the worst suckiest blues ever, I have cried all day. The worst part is we have no idea if it is actual ppd or a combo of ppd and thyroid bs.

My thyroid is working (least it was 2 weeks ago) but my pitiutary gland is barely putting out THS. I am not ovulating, I am down right bitchy, my joints, hands and feet hurt. I am not sleeping either. I have been given Ambiem (sp) to help me sleep but my dd have been sick.

I am on Wellbutrin but don't know it is helping. All I can say is haven't killed anything or anybody yet, not even the stupid ones who deserve it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 05:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Here's a working link: http://www.ppdsupportpage.com/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2002, 11:57 PM
mum
Ambulance Chaser

thanks funky for the links!! Click here to enlarge

ma - that is so weird that you mention your thyroid. i am going to see my doc on wed and insist he test me. i asked after ds2 was born and he blew me off...this time i won't let him. i also am having achy hands/feet/joints...in the mornings i sometimes can barely walk. this is new in the past month.

i saw a homeopath on friday and she gave me some stuff for the anger - i am also trying to cut wheat from my diet. i am the opposite for sleep, i need wake-up pills i think as i could sleep all the time. it is an effort to get out of bed after 12+ hours daily of sleep. Click here to enlarge

i am taking st john's wort. no help yet but it has only been a few days.

thanks you three for answering my post! :flash
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 09:12 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Have you tried Rescue Remedy? I've heard great things sbout it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 05:35 AM
Ambulance Chaser

Cut out all caffiene! All chocolate! I know that stinks but it helps.
I have been on zoloft off and on for years. It is perfectly safe while nursing and it really helps.
I don't think it sounds like really PPD, it sounds more like clinical depression.
Do NOT self treat this. Depression is a real disease that is potentially fatal.

Donna
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 03:41 PM
mum
Ambulance Chaser

Quote:
I don't think it sounds like really PPD, it sounds more like clinical depression.
Do NOT self treat this. Depression is a real disease that is potentially fatal.
that is almost word for word what my doc said today. we are going to test my thyroid and he gave me some *homework* to do. he absolutely thinks it goes beyond ppd. that depresses me! Click here to enlarge

seriously though i feel better having it out in the open. i am happy that he did not brush me off this time. he is going to research different types of anti-depressants as i am really uncomfortable with synthetic drugs. he was very helpful and since i am having a good week that really made a difference too. Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 01:56 AM
Ambulance Chaser

Hey I have been there done that girl! Your thyroid is a major possibility, and I hope that thats all it is Click here to enlarge Please call me tomorrow.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 09:51 AM
InsomniacBrat
Ambulance Chaser

Zoloft and Paxil are safe to take while bf. St John's Wort is "iffy' but my dr and midwife said it was fine, so I started taking a complex St John's Wort pill that has a LOT of B vitamins in it as well. I seem to have more energy from the pills, but so far the depression is still here. I've been taking them almost a week, it may take longer than that to get a reaction Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in