"Full-Time" Mom - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Domestic Goddesses A place for SAHMs to discuss the finer points of bon-bons and what's new on all the soaps.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

"Full-Time" Mom

I hate being called a full-time Mom. I'm not. I have a life outside my son. I always will. He is not my entire life. I don't spend the same time with him that a woman working a full working week spends at her job.

Plus, it's like implying working Moms are only doing a half assed job. Some of them are but not all of course.

That is all....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Not a fan of the term either.

But then, I don't think there's any term that everyone would be happy with.

I cringe when I someone calls me a "homemaker" or "housewife." Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I really dislike that term. When dh was in school full-time (& didn't have time to moonlight or work) I was working & some mom I'd just met asked me if I worked outside the home. When I told her I did, she said, "Well I'm a full-time mom" with an air of superiority. It was the first I'd heard the term & I was speechless. I wanted to tell her that I was working _because_ I needed to support my kids, so how was I less of a mom than her? I didn't stop being a mother when I was working, any more than her husband stopped being a father when he was working--or was that ok because on her planet fathers are supposed to work but never mothers?

Now I tell people who ask that I don't work outside the home. I dounderstand why people use the phrase "full-time mom" but since it was used as a put-down when I worked out of the home I do try to avoid that. Although there's really nothing wrong with the phrase I do avoid it.

I also use "SAHM" even though as many have pointed out I spend a lot of time away from home with them.

I'll get off my soapbox now--sorry about the long post.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I don't care what people call me. I'm just glad that I get to sit at home and do whatever I want. Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I don't like the term either. I dislike it more when a SAHM thinks she's superior to me because I do work. If she bothered to get to know me she'd realize that I work outside the home because I have to, not because I want to.

I'm tired of SAHM shunning me because I'm "full time." Whatever.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie88
I don't like the term either. I dislike it more when a SAHM thinks she's superior to me because I do work. If she bothered to get to know me she'd realize that I work outside the home because I have to, not because I want to.

I'm tired of SAHM shunning me because I'm "full time." Whatever.
I agree with you Pinkie, though I don't work out of the home anymore.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Full time mom to me sounds like the hardest job in the world, and when someone says that that is what they are, I have a lot of respect for them because it is hard despite what some people believe.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

domestic engineer?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

That is right Vicky..LOL
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I've just recently cut down my 'outside of the home' job, to Sat and Sun. Prior, I worked 6 days a week. I don't feel I've changed as a mom, or become less or more busy. I worked so much because I had too, because I was a mom, and now I'm working only weekends because I'm a mom. Parenthood played the major role in both those choices. The tasks I'm doing have changed, but both take up the whole day, and I've been 'mom' all along!!

I always found it funny when a 'stay-at-home' mom acted superior, while I was working, or vice versa. Once we become mom, we do what needs to get done. period.

Sorry for the soapbox, I'm stepping down now, and I'll put it away Click here to enlarge
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 05:40 PM
hydrolized gelatin, chick embryonic fluid, and human diploid cells from aborted fetal tissue
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Mystickal Mama Send a message via Skype™ to Mystickal Mama
I happen to prefer the term "homemaker". Click here to enlarge Only because that's exactly what I'm spending my time on - creating the home life we want. Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to GoatLover
You know, the term doesn't bug me. I have a multitude of roles that I play in my life- mother, wife, student, worker, etc. however, I'm always a mom.

I dislike when that term is used as a way of belittling others and making one feel self-important.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

i have one work outside the home mom friend who really thinks that we sit around and watch soaps all day long. I have four boys...count them four!!!!! Do you know what kind of messes they are capable of? LOL!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by willoween
I've just recently cut down my 'outside of the home' job, to Sat and Sun. Prior, I worked 6 days a week. I don't feel I've changed as a mom, or become less or more busy. I worked so much because I had too, because I was a mom, and now I'm working only weekends because I'm a mom. Parenthood played the major role in both those choices. The tasks I'm doing have changed, but both take up the whole day, and I've been 'mom' all along!!

I always found it funny when a 'stay-at-home' mom acted superior, while I was working, or vice versa. Once we become mom, we do what needs to get done. period.

Sorry for the soapbox, I'm stepping down now, and I'll put it away Click here to enlarge
Willoween, I am reviving an old thread to say I completely agree with you. I worked full-time when it was best for my family, and now stay at home because that's what's best now. I know some WOHM look down on SAHM, but most don't.

One aspect of being a SAHM that's easier is that I don't feel that most people look down on me for it. When I was a WOHM most of the people I knew were not supportive, which made it especially difficult. Now many of my friends work out of the home at least part-time, but respect my decision--as I respect theirs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in