Living on one income? - Page 2 - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Domestic Goddesses A place for SAHMs to discuss the finer points of bon-bons and what's new on all the soaps.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Aside from internet, look at other bills that you can lessen. Find a better deal on good car insurance. Get a better interest rate on credit cards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

If you know how to use them coupons can save you a lot of money, especially when combined with rebates, either from a store program or the manufacturer. There are boards out there that discuss the best deals, & often post the ads in advance. Dollar stores don't always offer the best deals, especially because most don't accept coupons.

If you have small children it may be worth it to join a childrens' museum in your town, if you can afford the initial outlay. These can be a good place to take the kids out, especially if you are on your own. DH is not in the military, but when my kids were little he was often away on weekends & our children's museum was great for outings.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Harlot
Hester,

You need to total you income for the month or bi-monthly, however you want to do it, and then break it down into categories. rent/mortgage, food, gas, utilities, clothes, etc. Set dollar amounts for each category and do everything you can to stay within that amount.

I never thought I could...
Steady feet, don't fail me now

I don't remember what day this is without coffee, but it's a day and it's going.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Look at the date of the op, I think she has it figured out by now Click here to enlarge
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My first post Click here to enlarge We're air force too...

shop at the commisary! they let you use coupons from other stores. Make a menu, weekly works best for me ... stick to it!

Where will you be stationed?
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBirdy
Look at the date of the op, I think she has it figured out by now Click here to enlarge
LMMFAO!.... uhhh, disregard my "advice" why the hell was this the first thread if its so damn old?
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Harlot
Click here to enlarge I'm a dork.

I never thought I could...
Steady feet, don't fail me now

I don't remember what day this is without coffee, but it's a day and it's going.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

We do it--but I'm not entirely sure how.

We still have DirecTV but cancelled HBO and do not get payperview.

We do not do anything extra as far as entertainment (like go to the movies, rent movies, etc.) we do however have Netflix which allows for some fun.

Our grocery spending (overall including diapers and baby stuff) is limited to under $100 a week. I spent $55 this week.

We limit our out-to-eat to once-a-week at a baby-friendly (aka CHEAP) place.

My DH eats leftovers for his work lunches.

I do not buy snack food.

We go to Costco, but are very careful to watch prices. We spend maybe $100 every two months on meat, toiletries, softener salt, cat litter, and bulk food we actually eat.

When I go food shopping, I make a list. I make sure that stuff is purchased within my budget and occasionally pick up other things but only after I'm sure I can afford the rest.

I am very, very aware of the price of food. I keep track of the price of food and buy when it is truly a good deal, not necessarily when it is just "on sale."
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie
I second or third the budget idea. It's great to write down where you spend, you can see exactly where all the money goes and can prioritize what gets cut!
emphatically, emphatically this is the most important thing you can do. write it down. use excel, or a checkbook register or a bar napkin. doesn't matter. committing and sticking to a written budget is absolutely key.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 02:39 PM
The noblest of savages

So you are a domestic goddess? Click here to enlarge

ďI donít know why we donít create some sort of system where we could train [Syrian refugees] to then go back to their own country and then fight for that country. Doesnít somebody have to stay in the Middle East and make the Middle East a better place to live?Ē

Bill Maher
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I do a monthly menu planner.
DH NEVER eats lunch out, i make it daily
i treat meat as a side, not a main course,
i coupon
i don't buy soda
i'm not too proud to scour the food pantry at church
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

We are a family of 4 on 1 income. We have a car payment & all the reg bills. I save money by making my dh lunch for work every night, I make everything from scratch that I can. Even though I still need help with that. I buy alot of what is on sale. I do cook alot with ground beef & chicken. I will go to my church for food help. I buy the cheaper hot dogs & my kids love them. We cut our car payment so that we pay it twice a month so that helps. I buy alot of bulk food & then freeze most of it in smaller containers.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Olive
thanks guys. i *think* we're managing okay now...4 years later. Click here to enlarge

Petition the White House to Adopt the Chartreuse Awareness Ribbon for the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse.

"While there are many colors for various causes, (for example, Child Abuse and Autism both share the same color ribbon) there is no nationally recognized ribbon in chartreuse. Child sexual abuse affects so many children and yet prevention organizations struggle to receive the funding they need to raise awareness and educate people on all the simple ways we can empower our children, families, and communities against abuse."
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Not going out to eat makes a huge difference! I haven't dove in to making a budget yet ... but I know I really need to! But ... eating in, using netflix instead of going to the movies, and soon we'll be cutting our cable package of premium channels to save some $$$. DH does have a decent Army salary but sometimes it doesn't seem like we'll make it 2 whole weeks. I plan on going back to work but no idea just when yet. DH is ok with that, and I like the idea of staying home with DD. At least right now, as little as I'd bring in wouldn't be worth the spending money on daycare.

I'm a pharmacy tech licensed in CA but living in VA. There are some steps I have to take before I can work here ... and I'm not ready to go there just yet.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Ambulance Chaser

i think this is funny since olive blew her was on a canon rebel. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in