Fights in the morning over clothes. - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Fights in the morning over clothes.

Right now she is not having to wear a school uniform. That starts next year in the public schools. But right now this is a big problem. The night before we picked out the outfit she wants to wear. She is fine with it at night. Then morning comes and she has to argue with me about what she is going to wear. I don't have enough time to argue with her over what she is going to wear. She has to wear the outfit we picked out last night. I am to my last wits with this. I hate starting out our mornings like this. Any suggestions beside letting her have her way. Even though they will be wearing uniforms next year I can see it now. She will argue what jumper she wants to wear or the shirt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I wish I had some good advice for you Click here to enlarge I had to start letting Ash pick out what she wanted to wear or we would get in these huge fights every morning and that wasn't how I wanted to start our day.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I don't understand why she has to wear the outfit that was picked out at night? How much input are you allowing her when choosing the clothes?

I guess this would be a case of choosing your battles to me. I'd tell her that as long as she's within the dress code, if there is one, she can pick out her own clothes.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Maybe set out two outfits at night, so she feels like she has a choice? That means everything to little girls sometimes.

MC
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 04:27 AM
Ambulance Chaser

We are doing this as we speak.

I have no problem letting them pick out their own clothes, but for some odd reason DD#2 which will be 7 in 2 wks. seems to have her seasons confused. During the summer, she wanted to wear long sleeves and pants on the hottest days. Now she is wanting to wear short sleeves and shorts and it's way too cold for that now. Click here to enlarge
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 04:57 AM
Ambulance Chaser

I agree, pick your battles. As long as she will be dressed appropriately for the weather just go with the flow. If the problem is that she takes so long to pick an outfit then you could say maybe..."you have 10 minutes to get dressed, hurry up or you will have to wear what I picked out."

My middle son used to put together the oddest outfits, he still does but now he is starting to get the concept of clashing Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 06:04 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I got a clothes organizer at Target. It's really colorful with slots for 5 days in the week. How about setting out 5 days worth of clothes (complete with accessories) in each slot, and having her choose from those 5.

The rest of the week, she can choose whatever is left over. Have her help choose the 5 outfits.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 07:48 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I agree with picking your battles. This is not such a big one. It sounds like an identity thing to me--she wants to be able to choose for herself how she looks. I would just let her do it. In fact, maybe don't bother picking the clothes out at night and save yourself the time. Let her pick out and wear what she wants the next day, as long as it is weather-appropriate.

It is easier to build strong children than to repair b.roken men.
-Frederick Douglass

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 10:26 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My oldest started picking out his own clothes to wear in 3rd grade. I agree it's an identity issue . .I have given up control with this issue to Brad. He is more into the skater look and kind of grunge. Since as he says I am a young , cool mom I kind of like his look.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 11:31 AM
Ambulance Chaser

Mine will argue about this only every so often, usually on the days we are already running late!!

I just try and pick my battles with them, and this one is just not important enough to have an argument!

As long as they are weather appropriate let them wear what they want!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 03:55 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Sounds like you have time issues to deal with in the morning. Maybe get her up fifteen minutes earlier as a compromise and she can pick out her own outfit (weather appropriate, of course) and if she can't pick it out in that time frame, then she has to wear what was picked out the night before?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

I have been doing been letting her pick out her outfits in the morning and everything is a lot better. It just is not worth the fights in the morning. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in