Sybermoms Parenting Forum

Sybermoms Parenting Forum (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/)
-   General Parenting (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/13-general-parenting/)
-   -   sleep issues (again?) (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/13-general-parenting/141198-sleep-issues-again.html)

Movie Chick 01-14-2004 10:33 AM

sleep issues (again?)

My 2 1/2 year old daughter has started a new pattern at night. A couple of weeks ago, she would refuse to go to bed ("I no go to bed mommy. I stay up with you"). Now she's going to bed, but waking up about 2 to 3 hours into her night time sleep to cry and scream for a couple of hours. Nothing is helping her to calm down and get back to sleep. She has been to the doctor to check for ear infections, and has all of her baby teeth that should be there. The first night she woke up, it seemed like she had had a nightmare, but it didn't seem like that the last couple of nights. She finally will fall back asleep when she is exhausted. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sausagemamma 01-14-2004 10:50 AM

I sure hope someone does 'cause we're in the exact same boat.

DS (29 mos) for the last month wont' go to sleep or stay in his bed unless one of us lays down on his bedroom floor until he's completely asleep (which can take over an hour).

Cold turkey approach to breaking this habit yields us 3 hours
of tantrums. :(

Cosmo 01-14-2004 12:39 PM

I dunno, my DD 27 mo has just started to wake up at night again. siiigh. I just go in there and sleep with her.

Pseudonymph 01-14-2004 08:02 PM

My son does this and always has. It is worse when he was very, very tired when he went to sleep. He wakes up sweaty and very upset about 3 hours in.

We've found it works to shake him gently an hour or two after he goes to sleep. This interrupts the sleep cycle and he doesn't wake up so badly.

Movie Chick 01-15-2004 06:50 AM

Well, I had some success last night. I thought I'd try to do something to change her normal routine. So, instead of putting her to bed between 8-8:30, I kept her up until almost 10pm. I figured it was worth a try, and I wouldn't be any worse off than I was yesterday. She slept through the entire night. I think I am going to continue this, moving it back about 15 minutes every other night until we get back to a more normal bed time.

Pollyanna 01-15-2004 07:13 AM

Sigh.

Mine just started something similar this last month. Hard to get to bed and then wakes up and wants to be in our bed (wakes up like clockwork about 4 hours after she goes to sleep). We usually just bring her into the bed.

I think they're having nightmares, quite honestly. Interesting idea, Pseudo and I may try that one.