ok. They have GOT to poop in the potty - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Box of Rain Send a message via MSN to Box of Rain Send a message via Yahoo to Box of Rain Send a message via Skype™ to Box of Rain
ok. They have GOT to poop in the potty

I know, I know, wait until they are ready. I'm all for that kind of thing, but there must be something I can do.

They are 3 and 4.5. They wear underpants all day and pee in the potty (ok, at the potty Click here to enlarge).

But when poop time comes, they demand a diaper, squat down and poop in it, and then want it changed.

Why oh why can't we make the move from diaper to potty? Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 03:38 PM
EVE
Ambulance Chaser

Have you tried a poop chart or something. That is what we did with ds and within one week, he was totally potty trained. We made a chart and got cool stickers. Each time he went pee, he got one sticker, two for poop. After 5 stickers, he got a small treat, candy or more stickers to play with. The more stickers the more incentives, until he filled up the whole chart for a brand new sand box. He was so enthusiastic about putting the stickers on the chart and earning his sand box.

Of course, I would only award stickers for pooping on the pot in your situation.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Books, give them a book when they sit on the potty. Or, go in there with them and all of you sing a song, anything to keep their minds off of pooping. Once they relax, bingo, out comes the poop! Click here to enlarge

TV guide poop trained my oldest. Seriously! He did the same thing as your kids, until one day, I gave him a tv guide to look at while he sat on the potty. It worked! He never had a problem after that.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

dd LOVES to read a magazine from daddy's magazine rack in there Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Will they wear the diaper and poop in it while sitting on the potty? Maybe that will help them transition?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I feel your pain. Dd would pee in the potty, but would only poop in a diaper WHILE STANDING AT HER BOOKSHELF.

We used stickers as incentives too. We made a trip to Hobby Lobby and she picked out really fabulous ones. The stickers themselves were the incentive. She loves to wear them on her shirt. So, poop in potty=sticker.

It took about 2 weeks, and a bout of constipation, but we threw out the diapers and she has been all about pooping on the potty ever since.

Good luck! I remember feeling like I spent my life in the bathroom. I feel for ya.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Ambulance Chaser

They ask for a diaper??? hmm.... we poop in our underware. Jacob is getting better though, we only have diapers for night time now. I let him poop in his underware if we don't catch him and we clean it up. I do a "yucky, you pooped in your underware" but don't make a big deal of it... he's starting to ask to go. Today, he even hollered for dad from the tub to go poopy.... (instead of pooping in water, BIG improvement)

Bribery... we can commiserate together!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Hershey's kisses are working well for us - she gets two if she poops in the toilet or her potty chair. Plus we let her flush the poop which she thinks is a lot of fun.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I got my DD a book called "Poo!" in which the character poops in the potty. I read it to her, she went and got her potty, sat on it and pooped. The book worked a treat! I also made up a star chart that had a variety of potty achievements to be met on it, and pooping in the potty was included on that too. After several poops on the potty she got a reward.

Good luck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Box of Rain Send a message via MSN to Box of Rain Send a message via Yahoo to Box of Rain Send a message via Skype™ to Box of Rain
Ok.

Books, magazines, and bribery.

This is going to happen, dammit. Click here to enlarge

Actually my oldest DID poop in the potty once, and immediately came down with an assplosion-inducing virus that sent him back into diapers for almost a week. So at least I know it is possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in