does your child hate to have their hair washed? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

does your child hate to have their hair washed?

This has become a major issue at bathtime. DD hates getting her hair washed. I'm so careful not to get any in her eyes, but as soon as she sees the problem she's screaming, "nooooooo!" I only do it once a week, and now I do it at the end of the bath because I don't want it to ruin bathtime altogther, because she loves the bath.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ooop. I meant to say "as soon as she sees the "bottle" (of shampoo)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 06:33 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Things that occasionally work for us - let her wear goggles. Convince her to keep looking up at the ceiling. Manhandling. Click here to enlarge

Mags hates having her hair washed. I usually do it at the beginning, though, to get it over with. If I can keep her looking up, it's easy to rinse the hair.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 06:39 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Ds is a total water bug when we are in the pool, but hates to have his hair washed. I keep convincing him to look at the ceiling. You could also put a picture on the ceiling to look at while you rinse. I repeat "look at the ceiling and I won't get it in your eyes about a hundred times." We sing the ABC's while I rinse and I better be done at the end of the song.

I am walking to find a cure for Juvenile Diabetes
To Support me Click Here!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to LucyLooLoo
We had a lot of trouble with this for a long time. What finally worked was getting him to talk about something he REALLY likes, as a distraction. So, we mainly chat about Thomas the Tank Engine. What color he is, who his friends are, what color they are, what they like to do, whatever. It has really helped...not 100%, but close to it. I also tell him how many more rinses I'm going to be doing, and we count them down.

You want a piece of me, present roll?

What about you, Asshole?

wishing you eternal tomfoolery, goob
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 08:04 AM
Ambulance Chaser

We have a doll that takes baths with her. She washes the doll's hair while I wash hers. It doesn't always work, but mostly. I also have a facecloth for her to cover her eyes with during rinsing. So does the doll Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

DS tilts his head forward.

If he tries to fight it, I usually just ambush him and do the best I can. During the summer, we have to wash it at least 3-4x a week, as he's full of sand and sunblock and lord knows what else.

General Immoral Fuckery
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I finally convinced dd that a washcloth will keep the water out of her eyes, so that's what we do now. Things are 100% better.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 01:17 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Quote:
Originally posted by LoRo
I finally convinced dd that a washcloth will keep the water out of her eyes, so that's what we do now. Things are 100% better.
Click here to enlarge Within the last month or so, ds will hold a washcloth over his eyes so that the water won't get in them. He still fusses when he knows I'm going to wash it, but it's not so much a fight as it used to be.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 05:07 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I have heard that some kids take to wearing a visor that will stop the water. DS wouldn't go for it, but it might help somebody here.

General Immoral Fuckery
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:33 AM
RustedRoot
Ambulance Chaser

She hated it around the age of 2,would scream and just go in a panic,then she started liking it around 3 and 4,and now she will be 5 and sometimes cooperates and sometimes doesn't
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticFrig Send a message via Skype™ to CelticFrig
So far DS doesn't seem to mind. He loves bath time and tolerates hair washing pretty well.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My oldest doesn't mind getting her hair washed but she is a bit freaky about water being in her eyes. She screams "ow" as if she's been poked with a stick. She is getting better at looking up and/or covering her eyes with her hand. She's almost 3. My youngest went through a short stage of hating any part of bath time. I just got her in and out as fast as possible. That lasted a few weeks but it's now a lot better. I wash her hair last as well.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 06:48 AM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
Harrison never seemed to care, but the last few weeks he's decided he doesn't like it. Well, more specifically he doesn't like getting his hair rinsed. I lean him back and do it and I think he doesn't like it because he can't play. I try to hand him something new so he can chew on it.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks everyone. I tried having her hold a washcloth over her face, and it worked really well. No whining or crying. Thanks! Click here to enlarge
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 06:22 PM
looneytunes
Ambulance Chaser

Ohh! How I hated to have my hair washed growing up. Get her some swimming goggles and do what you can to keep the water out of her nose. I might help if you let her lay her back/head on a plastic bench so she doesn't feel so insecure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in