When do you start using pull ups? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

When do you start using pull ups?

Jason peed in his potty yesterday. In the car, he told us he had to go, so we came home and sat him on it (dry diaper) and after a little while he did it. Click here to enlarge It is the 2nd time he's done it in about 2.5 months of having the potty. My neighbor said I should put him in pull ups during the day now, but isn't it early for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:22 AM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Well, if he's telling you he needs to potty, sounds like pull-up time Click here to enlarge

We weren't planning on going to pull-ups when we did, but when we put DS in day care just before he was 2, we were told "We do pull-ups in the 2 y/o room." Click here to enlarge So, that's what we did. It took about 6 mos or so Click here to enlarge before he would tell us he needed to go potty, and the only times he would tell us was when we were out somewhere - he'd never tell us at home Click here to enlarge We did try to take him to the bathroom every hour, like they do at daycare (we weren't real obsessive about it though Click here to enlarge Not really interested in setting a timer and having a Pavlovian peer Click here to enlarge)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I never did use pull ups.

I felt like ti'd make it too easy for me to be lazy and not rush her to the bathroom when she needed to go.

We had very few accidents.

Of course, we weren't out adn about much, so we were always close to a toilet.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I always heard it was bad to use pull ups because they were so much like diapers. Ds went from diaper one day to underwear and hasn't worn a diaper since then. He has never told us he needed to go to the potty at home but he goes on his own. When we go out I show him where the potty in case he needs to go while we are out. Then he will say I go potty and runs for the bathroom.

I would try just putting underwear on him and see how that works.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 08:04 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

We never used pull-ups. DS's daycare put him in one once, and I thought it was gross and just like a diaper.

We went straight to undies during the day, diapers at night. You may have extra laundry for awhile, but I think it's easier and cheaper than paying for big-kid diapers.

General Immoral Fuckery
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

We didn't use pullups on either of my kids, except at night. I beleive that they are too much like diapers, and they just use them like diapers. Now Kai is still wearing pullups at night, because she just isn't old (mature?) enough to hold it all night. Neither of them liked the feel of wet or dirty underwear, so it worked well for us to just move to underwear.

Oh, my son was about 3 when he was ready for potty training, and my daughter was 2.5. I think I just got lucky with her though- found the right bribe....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I don't think we will use pull ups. Trent goes on the potty a few times a day right now, only at our request.
Don't pull ups pull the potty away from them like diapers so they don't know they are wet? We will just go right to undies when he can feel he is wet.
We will probably do pull ups if we have a long drive or if we are somewhere where bathroom access is hard.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I would go with undies, too. Buy some really cool underwear and just have it around. We gave her a choice about diaper or undies in the morning, and talked about where to put her pee and poop with each option.

I never thought we'd use pull ups. We stuck with diapers at night and underwear during the day and at nap time for a long time. Then, after all was mostly settled, she wanted to wear undies to bed.

I wasn't convinced it was the right time. She wasn't consistently dry at night. In fact, she was pretty lazy and would keep her diaper on to go "one more time!" Ugh.

Then, she put her own diaper on. Man. I was surprised. The sight of a 3.5 year old laying down on the floor and applying her own diaper was hilarious. Something had to give. So we started with night time underwear.

It sucked, for everyone. She was up every night with a wet bed, wet jammies. Then she started peeing twice a night. We bought pull ups and called them "special night time underwear." She knew they were diapers. Some of the preschool kids wear them. But, she didn't care. She liked them. We didn't make a big deal out of it.

She never did pee in a pull up. She hasn't had an accident since. We finished the one bag of ~20 pullups and we're back to night time underwear. Yahoo! It's finaly done!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 09:05 AM
IHateSunshine
Ambulance Chaser

My DS is not quite ready for potty training yet, he's getting close though.
I use pull ups on days when he fights putting a diaper on. He likes stepping into them and pulling them up. Click here to enlarge So, it really helps with that.
However, when we do start potty training, I bet I'll use regular underwear, for the reasons mentioned - he'll be able to feel it immediately when goes potty.
Congrats on Jason being ready for potty training!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

We were planning to go from diapers to panties. She pees a few times a day in the potty, but not enough to put on her cute Dora panties. But when it gets more regular, we're just gonna go straight for them and skip over pull-ups.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard
I always heard it was bad to use pull ups because they were so much like diapers. Ds went from diaper one day to underwear and hasn't worn a diaper since then. He has never told us he needed to go to the potty at home but he goes on his own. When we go out I show him where the potty in case he needs to go while we are out. Then he will say I go potty and runs for the bathroom.

I would try just putting underwear on him and see how that works.
That is what we did.It worked well for us and those pull-ups are expensive.

We did use pull-ups at night for a week or so and found that they were waking up dry so we stopped using them.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

We use them because they want to use them at school. He's not really actively training right now anyway. But he does like being able to take off and put on his pants by himself. So I figure we're moving in the corrent potty training direction, anyway. BTW, DS is 2.5.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I second what Lizard said. That's exactly what we did with ds. He wore diapers for 2 weeks while we and daycare actively potty trained, then he went straight to undies so that he KNEW when he'd had an accident. He was trained in about a week with the undies and has only had about 3 accidents.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in