Speech Delay and potty training? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Speech Delay and potty training?

My DS is now a little over 2 1/2, and has a speech delay. I just wondered if there was anyone else out there, who is having issues with potty training because of a speach delay.

With my older son, I didn't train him, I just put the potty in the bathroom, told him what he could do in it etc, it was a breeze.

But with my youngest I sometimes wonder if he knows what the heck I'm talking about, because he doesn't respond. I'll ask him if he has to go, he'll say yah, so I put him on the potty and he'll sit for a few minutes, then get up. I ask him if he went pee, and he says yah. When i look there is nothing in the potty. I'm trying to take a semi casual approach to potty training, because it worked with DS#1, but should I be doing it differently with DS#2? and if so, how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My dd was speech delayed and I had concerns about her understanding what the heck I was talking about and also about her ability to tell me she had to go all the time.
So, I took the easy way out and waited. I waited until she was 3.5 and she trained in a weekend and had zero accidents.

800 miles in 2015
336/800
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 PM
UncomfortablyNumb
Ambulance Chaser

I've been wondering about this myself as my ds is 21 mos and speech delayed also. With dd, she was fully potty trained by 26 mos; I'm not even going to attempt it with ds until I think he can comprehend what's going on. And I honestly don't have a clue when that will be...I'm hoping for around age 3. Sorry I wasn't any help.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to TripleA
I would just let time work on your side and not worry about it. When your child is ready, you will know. I think putting a potty in the bathroom and just keeping it casual for now is a good idea. Keep encouraging, but no rush.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Haldol
My oldest 2 are diagnosed speech delayed. And I have seen a slow down in the potty traning area. My son was potty trained 1 week before his 4th birthday. My daughter is 3 and shows no interest.

We don't push it either, we let them go at thier own pace. He will get there, don't worry.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks for the advice!

I am going to keep things casual, and hopefully sometime before Sept. 2006 (when he starts school) he'll be potty trained.

I'm grateful that he attends a pre-school that goes to age 5, and doesn't require the children to be potty trained.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 05:46 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Two is early for a boy to be potty trained...

Just don't push it, if they aren't ready they aren't.

My oldest wasn't pt'd until he was about to turn 4. And that was w/o a speech delay.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My four year old twin boys' both have speech delays. Neither potty trained until they were nearly four. I don't know if it is because of the speech delay, because they are boys, or just a twin thing. We didn't push them really hard to potty train. We introduced the potty without success 3 times before it finally clicked. When they were not interested we just put it on the back burner and tried again a few months later.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Idiots W/O Activation Codes

Send a message via AIM to Just Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Just Ducky
Mine is 3y, 3m old and we are just waiting. It is, however, a bitch to find diapers for a 45lb-ish kid. My dh was also a late talker and potty trained late, and ds seems to be following his development very closely.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My just turned three year old has zero interest in the potty, and she has delayed speech. She has been diagnosed as autistic so we are not worrying about the potty issue until she can communicate basic needs and wants to us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in