Is he done napping? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Is he done napping?

My ds is 3 1/2 and has been a wonderful sleeper for most of his life. He is the kind of kid that we will go up change and then read and he will just stay in bed looking at books until he falls asleep. He also is still napping for 2 to 3 hours in the afternoon. Lately, he is pitching a fit when it is time to go to bed. He will go up and then go through the routine, but then will stall and stall. After that doesn't work, he will start crying or sit in the hallway and scream. If we come up he will be fine for a few minutes and then repeat the process once we leave. Eventually he will wake up his sister who will start crying Click here to enlarge

I am thinking he is losing his nap. I let him stay up yesterday during nap time and then he fell asleep on the couch waiting for dinner. Is there anyway to make this transition easier?

I am walking to find a cure for Juvenile Diabetes
To Support me Click Here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

:ITSOK It does sound like he's ready to give up his nap. The time change may have something to do with it as well - it seems to me like these kids can sense the time change and go with it instead of fighting it like us crazy adults.

Give him the option of napping or not - ask him if he wants to lie on the couch at nap time instead of bed - we did that with Mags and it made her naps shorter, so bedtime wasn't as much of a struggle.

It's bittersweet when they give up their naps.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My DS gave up naps at 2. I have tried for almost a year now to get him to take a nap when his younger sister sleeps but he refuses. Instead we have quite time in the afternoon.

Also with out the nap we moved bedtime up to 7 and he sleeps all night and wakes up at about 7.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to TripleA
I think that laying him on the couch with a movie or book just after lunch may be a good idea. The rest may help him to make it until bedtime without him actually having to sleep. We have the same issue some days where my dd will not sleep during the afternoon and then falls out at 7pm only to be up at 10 pm thinking her nap is over!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in