What do you for vomiting? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

What do you for vomiting?

My ds is and has never really thrown up before. It freaked me out! Is the BRAT diet applicable to vomiting or just diarreah? I know not to give him milk, but what else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:00 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I always try to get a little toast in my kids and plenty of liquids..pedialite or 7-up/gingerale type drinks if he's old enough
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 11:04 AM
Lacey
Ambulance Chaser

How old is your little one? Infants/Babies give Pedia Lite so they dont' get dehydrated.

Older kids, gingerale, toast, crackers to hold them over.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 02:53 PM
Ambulance Chaser

How old is your DS? For my 5yo, ice chips did real well for preventing dehydration. For my 1yo, pedialyte works well. Also saltines and sprite for the older kids.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Aster
Ambulance Chaser

BRAT is good for both diarrhea and vomiting (banana, rice, applesauce, toast), but i wouldnt intoduce it until the vomiting's finished. Sometimes it's helpful just to give that tummy a rest for a while. On the other hand if the child is requesting something i'd say go for it, even if it's pizza, bc if they've got a craving it's gonna stay down. Probably.

Ginger tea helps with the nausea. The folk remedy to give gingerale comes from the anti-emetic properties of ginger. Clear fluids are good. Popsicles are good. I really wouldnt give soda though--a lot of chemicals.

If your child breastfeeds, it is far more appropriate to give breastmilk than pedialyte. Breastmilk is the easiest thing to digest.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 05:16 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Pay attention if you buy gingerale for nausea, a lot of gingerale contains no actual ginger.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 11:02 AM
Ambulance Chaser

If your nursing screw the pedialyte and only offer BM,thats the best thing for em right now.Its a clear fluid,offers immunties to fight it off,gentle on there tummies,helps keep hydrated,and contains electrolytes.

If there not nursing,offer gingerale,but if there still vomiting that up only offer sips until t he vomiting has stopped.Ive also read offering a heavy fruit syrup works for coating the tummy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

You can find real ginger ale at health food places like whole foods or wild oats.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:34 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Breastmilk if possible. If not, ginger ale and little nibbles of saltine crackers.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 09:44 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Breast milk if breastfeeding, if not I would give ginger ale, sprite,etc. for the first 12 hours and then start with bland foods like Jello, crackers (saltine). If you are afraid that dc is dehydrated call your pediatrician.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:52 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I heard that BRAT diet and breastmilk are best. When ds had stomach flu 2 weeks ago, I just tried to bf him as much as I could although he didn't have an appetite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in