How much is too much? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

How much is too much?

Regarding after school stuff. My dd who is 8 seems to be in everything. Gymnastics 5 hours a week, a dance class, Cheerleading, and Girl Scouts will be starting. She also will be playing basketball when that starts this fall. I don't want to deny her any of these activities as long as it's not a conflict with gymnastics, but she seems to want to do everything. She was mad at me because I only signed her up for hip hop dance. She wanted ballet, tap, jazz and clogging too. When do you just have to put your foot down and say enough is enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Wow, that is great that she is interested in so many things. I don't know the answer, but I remember when ds was little and he was in football, chorus and cub scouts. It was really hard to do it all. Are you a single parent like me? If not at least you have your husband to help.

I would imagine that little by little she will weed out the things she doesn't care so much about and make time for the things she loves most. I always supported ds in whatever he wanted to do because I figured exposure to all those things would help him discover his true interests.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Dsd is 11 and we limit her to one after school activity at a time. If we don't her grades start to suffer.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

There is an excellewnt book out called "How much is enough?"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...507846&s=books

It addresses your question as well as info on giving too much materially and emotionally over-indulging.

DD wants to try eveything, too. The guideline fom our ped was having no more than 2 evenings away fom home due to extracurric activiyies under age 10.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

my 7 1/2 yr old

wants to do irish dance, art, judo, gymnastics, drama and hockey. Thankfully all but hockey are done in an after school program.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 05:39 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

We are struggling with this issue. We were definitely overscheduled in the Spring and I am trying hard to cut back, but they want to do so much. The twins will be in swimming one evening a week, soccer on Saturdays and religious school on Sundays, plus adjusting to 1st grade and a full day of school.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to cheeky
If she wants to do everything, I would just say, take *****now and then next time you can try ********.

She will find what she likes this way and you wont' go nuts running her all around.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Right now with football cheerleading, she has something every single night. We have decided not to do girl scouts, and probably not basketball. The 3 things that she does are kinda related. She needs the hip hop and gymnastics for her cheerleading on down the road. I may be looking to far ahead. Click here to enlarge Just her gymnastic coach said it was easier to get a cheerleading scolarship than a gymnastics one. It's just hard to keep up with everything right now.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Ambulance Chaser

We do swimming lessons one night and gymnastics on saturday and I feel that is more than enough for a 6 year old. I have no idea how much is too much. How are her grades at school? How is her temperament?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Her grades are average, and she is a pretty happy kid most of the time. I can tell when she has had too much, and it's usually from staying up late the night before. It's been a while since I've seen this OP, so I'll update while I'm at it. She is still doing gymnastics and hip hop. Basketball was a stretch, but we did it. My dh was the coach, so it was our priority for a while. Summer is almost here, so she will just have gymnastics after May which will be really nice. I think we are settling in to a pattern now. Thank goodness.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 04:46 AM
Ambulance Chaser

That sounds like a nice compromise. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in