What CAN I do about temper tantrums? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 11:53 PM
*wailing banshee*
Ambulance Chaser

What CAN I do about temper tantrums?

ARGGGG! I just want to pull my hair out. I have no idea what to do. I think I have tried everything. Ignoring it. Reasoning. Walking away. Hugs. Distracting.

HELP! Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 08:08 AM
Mud
Ambulance Chaser

Wish I had some advice! I'm right there with you though.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 08:46 AM
lovelips
Ambulance Chaser

It will eventually pass.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Samantha Louise, 12 years old on 1/14/16
Hard-Core Sybermom

What has worked for us is putting her in her room and walking away.

This was dh's idea. All my maternal instincts were telling me to hold her while she cried, but putting her in her room and walking away was dh's idea. We tried it, and lo and behold, it worked: within literally a minute she would have calmed down and either started playing with her toys or run back out and give us a big hug.

My daughter is 2.

I don't do this when she's genuinely upset, just when she's tantruming because she can't get her way.

--cited as one of sybermoms' most normal members.

http://365project.org/iowafalduto/365
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 11:17 AM
PIA
Ambulance Chaser

Quote:
Originally posted by SquigMom
What has worked for us is putting her in her room and walking away.
We do this too. My dd is 2 also. She started with the frustrated tantrums when she was about 12 months. I started saying, "Daphne, mommy can't help you if you are freaking out." That evolved into just saying no freaking. Most of the time dd will calm down when I tell her, "no freaking." When that doesn't work I tell her that when she's finished freaking she can come out of her room and I'll help her with whatever it was that caused the tantrum.

So far this has worked for us. She has not yet thrown a tantrum in public.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm right there with you. My dd is 3 and gets all mad and says NO,doesnt listen,then tells me today I don/t like you I like daddy. I'm so hurt. But then again she says mommy I love you. time out doesnt seem to work, so I put her in the room and walk away. will this phase pass?? or what can I do to make her stop?

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 11:52 AM
mushbrain
Ambulance Chaser

Small children have intense feelings but don't have enough life experience to know how to handle them. When they can't have something they want the frustration can get overwhelming and they blow. They *do* eventually learn to handle their feelings more appropriately. A parent's job is to keep them safe, be consistent and model appropriate ways of dealing with frustration. I used to grit my teeth and chant "it will pass, it will pass."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 06:06 PM
Ambulance Chaser

i don't know how old the child in question is, but I read somewhere that this mother would get out the video camera and tape the kid acting like a loon. After the child saw it played back, all she'd have to do is reach for the camera and he'd stop. Just an idea...?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 07:01 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I also have mine go to their rooms. Little kids just don't have the means, the understanding, or the tools to deal with how they feel, and sometimes tantrums are how they express that. No fun for parents Click here to enlarge

I tell the kids that they have the right to their feelings, but that rest of us shouldn't have to listen to a tantrum, so off to their rooms until they are calm. It usually works, we talk and hug afterwards. Sometimes toy-throwing and that starts which is a whole other ball of wax.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Usually there is an issue at hand.

DS is almost 2.

1. Throwing-himself-on-the-floor tantrums usually means he is tired and needs to go to sleep.

2. Whacking-his-siblings-on-the-head tantrums means he needs attention.

3. Shreaking tantrums are obviously designed to test my mental stability.

If you try to pay attention to what precludes the tantrum, you will notice a pattern. You can then react accordingly. Tantrum 1 obviously means we a nap. And I do mean "we".

Tantrum 2 means somebody better go play with him after discussing why it's not cool to do that.

Tantrum 3 require prozac and earplugs.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 10:36 PM
~X~
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via MSN to ~X~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~X~
Each child is very different.

It may sound corny, but there is something that always works when DD gets pissy: tickling. Seriously. She loves to be tickled. It distracts her and gets her back into a happy mood (usually with a little MORE distraction after the initial tickling).

Click here to enlarge It is worth a try!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 11:33 AM
BroomRider
Ambulance Chaser

We've just entered the tantrum phase at 18 months.

I've found that they usually happen when I am on the phone. Those are the shrieking ones. DD also seems to think that there is a 'no holds barred' when I'm on the phone. She tries to get into everything she knows she's not allowed to with such determination. ie the attention getting tantrum. Sadly, sometimes I just have to chuckle to myself, because it's just so comical.

For other meltdowns, I try to use distraction. It still works for the most part. Let's get a book, look out the window, look for a favorite toy, etc.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Missy Girl
Ambulance Chaser

I'm lucky with my daugher, she doesn't have many fits during the day.

My boys are another story.(and they are older)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 09:22 PM
shiska
Ambulance Chaser

Click here to enlarge with kooolaidred.

Thanks for the refresher. DS will be there before I know it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in