Son feels he needs his stuffed toy's protection - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Son feels he needs his stuffed toy's protection

I've read where most parents tend to let their children hold on to their "loveys " until they are ready to put them away. My wife and I are at something of odds regarding this subject and our 10 year old. Granted he doesn't have just one, he has multiple "babies" and he has puts them all around the edge of his loft bed as "protection". My wife thinks he shouldn't be allowed to have so many and we should start taking them away and I feel as if once he's ready, it will be a natural thing for him to dismiss them from duty. I don't want my son to feel as if his feelings aren't valid and absolutely don't want his anxiety to be increased. I also don't want to argue with my wife over this either. He's never had a traumatic experience though he does speak of nightmares he may have. Ideas? Advice? I'm new to the forum game but do want advice. Anything to help my children. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:39 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hello, everyone.
Every child has a different endurance, and, can be feeling unsafe in ways we can't understand. For them, the world is still new and they can't seem to adapt everything with a lot of ease. Some babies can start to get comfortable a little sooner than others. We shouldn't have to force them to feel that. But I would suggest, you keep in check if it gets any more unusual than just a little prolonged ease. It can also indicate overly shyness. so, be polite, and stay with him as much as possible. You can try sleeping with him rather than making him sleep alone, this might ease him out a little. Thanks and good luck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:01 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Hi Click here to enlarge. I could not hold a smile in such a tender situation. I think that the child must decide to give up on plushies by being interested in another type of toys. Try reading a bit here https://kidslearningthroughplay.com/ and see if, according to your child interests there are alternative toys to plushies. he needs to develop more self-confidence and such can be achieved only by making activities that produce rewards like having a block building game completed, a puzzle completed, activities with a certain purpose at the end of the play process.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 03:34 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

When it comes to informing ourselves about toys the internet offers such a huge variety of sites that one can even fall into despair not getting a clear vision on what is the benefit of choosing one type of toys towards another.
for such reason, it is always best choosing sites where we are explained how[URL="https://kidslearningthroughplay.com/category/toy-categories/"] kids are learning through play[/,URL]

and other similar sites that group toys by age, by sex, and for each they provide a comprehensive guide.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 03:37 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

making an informed choice for toys

When it comes to informing ourselves about toys the internet offers such a huge variety of sites that one can even fall into the despair not getting a clear vision on what is the benefit of choosing one type of toys towards another.
for such reason, it is always best choosing sites where we are explained how to choose toys
https://kidslearningthroughplay.com/...oy-categories/

and other similar sites that group toys by age, by sex, and for each they provide a comprehensive guide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in