"Hit Mama...Hurt Mama" - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

"Hit Mama...Hurt Mama"

DS, who will be 2 in a couple of weeks has developed a new habit of balling up his fists and saying "Hit kitty. Hit Mama. Hit Truck. Hurt Truck." After he says this, he takes a couple of swings at whatever he's thinking of hitting, though he's not always right next to them. He is in daycare 2 days a week, but his teacher has not mentioned this behavior cropping up there.

Currently, DH and I respond by saying "No honey, we don't hit the Truck.", and restraining him if he tries to swing at it.

Is there anything else we can do/say to help curb this behavior?

--Nancy L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I wish I knew. Both of mine pick up stuff at daycare. I will hold their arm and tell them "no we don't hit" etc. But of course with a short attention span I have to do it quite a few times.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 11:42 AM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

We haven't reached the "hit" stage yet, but I wonder if we're far behind....DS is almost 2 and in the past few weeks, he has begun to take great delight in picking up a toy, shaking it like mad & then throwing it down to watch it bounce. He then kind of cackles, and looks to one of us to share his glee Click here to enlarge I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I usually say "Ohm no, poor (whatever toy, usuall Elmo)" and pick it up and love on it. Click here to enlarge

My best guess is that he is now figuring out that he can control some aspects of his environment? Afterall, for 2 years, we have picked him up, dressed him, bathed him, etc etc etc and now he's finding things that he can have a direct effect on?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

MY 2.5 year old ds is a tender-hearted little guy, but he really enjoys getting a rise out of folks and #1 on his hit parade it hitting. And saying he wants to hit, or hurt someone. He thinks it's funny.

Honestly, I think it's the age. We've started employing time out and *not* reacting at all to thing like that, jsut being very matter-of-fact, but my dd (5) reacts spectacularly to his actions so it's kind of an uphill battle. It's frankly exhausting, and I really am sad that it's been so difficult with ds. I feel like I'm not getting to enjoy him the same way I got to enjoy my dd. Click here to enlarge So much of our time is taken up with discipline.

Be consistent in reminding him he doesn't hit, give him something he *can* hit (A drum, etc.) and just repeat, repeat, repeat. I found a book that helps with ds, it's on amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

It deals with not hitting, biting, etc. then lists a positive way they can hit or bite. Ds honestly loves it, and it's simple enough he can 'read' it to himself, which he does.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks so much for the book suggestion! Since I posted this, I've talked with his teacher, who says that he really isn't hitting that much at school. So, hopefully this is just a stage that he's moving through!

--Nancy L.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I just have to add that I got that book, and DS loves it. He asks us to read it 2-3 times a day, and he repeats it when we ask him the questions! Thanks!!!! Today when he said "Hit Mama!" I said "No Hitting Mama! What do we hit?", and he happily said "A Drum!" and didn't hit me.

--Nancy L.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 08:34 AM
Ambulance Chaser

My 2 1/2 yr old ds is in a hitting/biting stage. He's mean to all of us, including the pets.

So far nothing works when I try to get him to stop. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in