Three-year-old mental/emotional/behavioral development - Page 2 - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
General Parenting Need answers to your questions? Don't know where to go for support? Here's your place, we know all the answers and can help you with the most generic of problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My 3yr old likes to say no when i ask her to pick up her toys

she also likes to tell stories, cute ones

mommy go away let me go potty in quiet.

mommy im angry, or daddy im angry

loves to do things on her own

she likes to sing when she talks sometimes." like mommy i wanna go ouuuutside and bloowwww bubbles bubbles bubbles."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 05:14 AM
Ambulance Chaser

you all have me Click here to enlarge

my two are almost 3 and when I tell Garrett its time to pick up "toys, plates, etc" he looks at me and tells me "no momma".

shelby is always rubbing my back and asking if I'm alright.

They both get into EVERYTHING no matter how many times I take them down off daddy's desk or get them out of one thing or another they do it again and again and again. And Garrett's favorite words are always "no momma"
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 11:21 PM
Blossom
Ambulance Chaser

Also, my three year old has just starting taking responsibility for her own mistakes. She used to point to the finger at her sister, but often now something will break, get messy whatever, I will ask if it was her 2yo sister and she responds, "No! It was meeeeeee" quite happily, might I add.

The latest thing she is doing is, when she gets hurt I will say, "oh I am sorry you are hurt." "No it wasn't you mum, it was the wall" or whatever she ran into. Cracks me up, that one.

Courtesy of the computer she learnt percentages and now has to finish everything "One hundren" before she can do anything else.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 05:10 AM
Pixie
Ambulance Chaser

I luuuuve "Mommy I dont like you/it/daddy/sister or any other word in this spot"

My reply "Oh well you have no choice"

Or my fav is we tell our son to hush or use inside voice but we dont let him say hush to us, So we will be in public "HUSH MOMMY"
people look at me like i have a crazy, rude kid, I'm still trying to teach him a word when he wants us to be quiet but they all sound rude i guess
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 05:31 AM
mab
What kind of clothes do you suppose would be worn by a man with a mole on his nose?
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally posted by AlnBella
I luuuuve "Mommy I dont like you/it/daddy/sister or any other word in this spot"

My reply "Oh well you have no choice"

Or my fav is we tell our son to hush or use inside voice but we dont let him say hush to us, So we will be in public "HUSH MOMMY"
people look at me like i have a crazy, rude kid, I'm still trying to teach him a word when he wants us to be quiet but they all sound rude i guess
I think this sucks. You are setting yourself up for a pretty angry kid. You can say hush to your child, but they can't say it? Am I reading that right? I am more concerned with my kid's development than the rude stares of a bunch of strangers who have no context for what is happening. Dd is alwasy experimenting with what works, socially or conversationally or whatever. She has to, it's the only way she will learn how to behave.

And "you have no choice" is very disempowering for a child. May I suggest a couple of books? How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk, by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlisch, and Positive Discipline. I grew up in a fmaily where my parents ruled "because I said so," and these books helped me learn to communicate with my child in a much healthier way.

Find me on facebook - KHW.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 05:37 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to 3xLady
Mab, I agree 100% These little ones need to feel a sense of control over their thoughts and feelings.

The biggest thing I have noticed with my son is that he has no sense of time at this point.

Two minutes is a hour, tomorrow is after nap, etc. So I try not to bring anything up until it is almost time to go. We are working on it though. His preschool teacher brought this up as being one of the normal things with children this age.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Pixie
Ambulance Chaser

Freaking A, talk about not getting the whole story, i will say we dont say hush to mommy in certain situtations, and if you let your kids say whatever they want just becuse you say it to them so be it, but i will say things (never cursing or saying shut up or things of that nature) such as HUSH, and We dont say that is going to have DS in the corner crying gimmie a break, just becuase i dont let him say it back to me.

Second point DS really doesnt understand the whole i dont like "place word here", its his way of saying he is upset about something like not getting a toy or, if he is in timeout for doing something and he says that to me, i am letting him know him saying that is not changing the situation, forgot to add i also tell him, "well mommy still likes you and things like that" each comment is for the situation.

DS is at the age of finding his place, and dh and i are trying (stress the trying) to show him when the right times to say things and how to say things politely, and screaming HUSH just becuase for example when i am singing to DD at a store to help her stop crying just becuase he is not in the mood for my beautiful voice is not polite. He does get to say Hush in situations like he is trying to hear a part of a movie, and dh and i are talking, but i feel i need to let him know there are times its exceptable and times it is not. Is that still so bad, i am always up to recommendations?? I guess it is a double standard, but i am just trying to teach the time and place for everything
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 06:02 PM
mab
What kind of clothes do you suppose would be worn by a man with a mole on his nose?
Hard-Core Sybermom

In your original post, you sounded very disrespectful to your child. But then again, you told some more of the story, and it sounds better that way. I still recommend those books, they were huge help to me.

Find me on facebook - KHW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in