Is this right? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Military Moms--DECLASSIFIED Are you in the military or married to it? If so, then this is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,400
Is this right?

My SO cousins wife is in the Air Force and just got orders to goto Korea and shes not allowed to bring her husband and kids? her kids are turning 3 in Jan. and turning 2 in Mar and she will be gone for a year. And they are taking her housing allowance to be used for her housing in Korea leaving her ,loser, husband without a house and in charge of 2 kids. Is this typical in the military?
intotalcontrol is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom
Clit's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,084
Click here to enlarge Not sure about taking her housing allowance away but Korea is a no family tour. There's some term for it but I can't remember.

4/7/08 6lbs 10.5oz 18in
Clit is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,400
Oh how sad for her kidsClick here to enlarge. She has been in the military for 12years and has been really lucky as far as her posts but this one really blows.
Its not that they are taking her allowance away perse but that she needs it for her housing in Korea, damn.
intotalcontrol is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Wine Country
Posts: 648
Don't they have some sort of barracks available?
LisaF is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 07:53 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom
Nodakbabe's Avatar
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 23,644
Dh has been getting his housing allowance for us while he's been in Korea. For the Army, they base the allowance on where I am, not where he is, they just need certified proof of where I am(had to go get a notarized note, and fax it to finance)

Maybe it's the seperate rations allowance they're talking about? They did take that away from DH, since he could eat in the dfac.
Nodakbabe is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom
EvilBad's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Smell my finger
Posts: 27,666
Yes, that happens all the time. If it's a short tour, chances are she'll be living in the barracks anyhow. She should talk to her first shirt to get some clarification if she's not sure how it works. Nodak is right, they could be taking away her "food" allowance because of the chow hall on her new post.

General Immoral Fuckery
EvilBad is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
Barbie's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nuthouse
Posts: 15,052
Send a message via Yahoo to Barbie
It's probably separate rations they are taking away, not BAH - that would still be based on where her dependents live. And sadly, yes, unaccompanies tours happen all the time. I was slotted for one to Korea when I was pregnant, dh was on one in Turkey - I was supposed to report to Korea when my baby was 6 weeks old, leaving her with doG knows who. I chose to get OUT!
Barbie is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Registered User
Unsupportive Freeloader
Yup_n_Nope's Avatar
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In my own little corner, on my own little chair...
Posts: 3,815
Send a message via Yahoo to Yup_n_Nope
It is called an unaccompanied tour. Families don't go to Korea (usually).

The husband has a few choices:

1 - He can go to their next duty station and get housing there while waiting for her tour to be completed.

2 - He can stay at their current duty station in their current housing (or on the economy collecting housing allowance) and then they all move together when her tour is completed.

3 - He can choose to move back in the vicinity of family and collect housing allowance for that area. They will all move to the next duty station when her tour is completed.

He will not lose BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing). The BAS (Basic Allowance for Sustenance) will likely be discontinued as it is paid when the service member does not eat at the "mess hall" to offset food costs for the service member. It is called Rations in Kind, I think.

In any case, yes, it is a tough thing to have a service member do a remote tour in Korea. She will get a mid-tour break to come home and visit. There is also e-mail and telephone access for the family to stay in touch. Whatever base he is closest to or living at will have a program for families of deployed service members. Usually there is a meal once per month and free childcare for 4-5 hours one night per month at the child development center.

Hope this helps!
Yup_n_Nope is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Ambulance Chaser
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 172
My DH did a two year tour to Korea (Seoul) and my DS and I accompanied him there - it is interesting there to say the least.

She should not lose any housing allowances but actually should make "some" money - she, if living off post, will receive an allowance for that. In Seoul single soldiers were granted any where from $900 to $1500 for off base housing depending on the lease, rank etc. Her DH should also receive a housing allowance based upon his zip code - assuming he does not live in quarters at a stateside base. There is also a family separation allowance and I believe hazardous duty pay. Don't quote me on that though. My DH is Army finance and we discussed at great length the allowances for unaccompanied soldiers and really they should be ok. She needs to get with the AF finance office and find out exactly what her entitlements are prior to leaving the states. That way she can budget accordingly.

I saw firsthand how hard the unaccompanied tours are on some soldiers/airmen and I really wish the best for her. There are many programs in place both there and stateside to help her and her family adjust (already mentioned). There are also MAC flights now available to Korea for dependents so maybe her DH and kids could plan a trip? It is a hell of a flight but could be the experience of a lifetime. Also, tell her there are many tours available from the base travel offices and China is an incredible place to go. The shopping is unbelieveable.....

Hope everything works out.
Coolmomto3 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Ambulance Chaser
Posts: n/a
Yep the AF does unaccompanied remote short tours to Korea, thats why I picked my accompanied short tour remote to get it done with my family. Turkey is one place you can go with or w/out your family.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 09:36 AM
Ambulance Chaser
Posts: n/a
If my dh ever has to do a short tour to Korea we will go with him and live in a separate apartment on the economy. I know people who have done it, it is doable, but the military will not pay for the family to go over there.


Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome