Anyone stationed in Virginia Beach? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Military Moms--DECLASSIFIED Are you in the military or married to it? If so, then this is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Anyone stationed in Virginia Beach?

My 19 yr old cousin's new dh is in the Navy, and their first orders are for Virginia Beach. She's never been away from home before, so I know this is going to be hard on her.
If any of you are stationed there, do you have any tips, or anything I can tell her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Ambulance Chaser

Hmm...Va Beach...

If they aren't going to live in base housing, Va Beach is probably the better area of Hampton Roads to live in. (Hampton Roads consisting of these cities: Va Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News, and a few more smaller ones.)

Va Beach offers the most variety in shopping and eating places and is close to the beach and a bunch of night hot spots.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

They are hoping for base housing. Mostly I think because they are young, never been away from home before, and have no idea how to find an apartment in a safe area.
And um, yeah, I'm not going to tell her about any night spots! Click here to enlarge She's supposed to be going to school, so I can't imagine they'll have much time for them anyway.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Well, there are some good schools - I was looking at Tidewater Community College - we were supposed to get stationed in Norfolk, then we were told Hawaii, now we're in limbo, I guess Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Ambulance Chaser

Oh, speaking of schools...Tidewater Comm is Norfolk area, Old Dominion University is the big one (Norfolk area), Thomas Nelson Community College (Hampton), Hampton University. There are a few others, but their names escape me at the moment.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:45 AM
Ambulance Chaser

I am in Hampton, at least until June. Before we moved here we were told that living on the Peninsula is much nicer and safer. I believe it may be cheaper, if you aren't in base housing. The traffic to NOB through the tunnel is killer and if I had to pick again I don't know that I would pick this side.

However, if your cousin isn't into going out the peninsula could be the place for her. Thomas Nelson Commmunity College is here as is Hampton University. There are a few malls and shopping centers here so going through the HRBT (bridge-tunnel) won't be necessary daily for her.

If you have any specific questions I could look stuff up for you since I am still here.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Well, they reported in on Sat. She called her mom (and cried again) and told her "It's so big! It's as big as Birmingham (AL)!" Poor thing, she doesn't know what a big city is.

When I talk to her, I'll pass all this along, and ask if she's got any questions.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in