Military doctors... - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Military Moms--DECLASSIFIED Are you in the military or married to it? If so, then this is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Dawn Keebals
Military doctors...

My husband has done something to totally screw up his back. He was in so much pain yesterday he could hardly function. He couldn't be seen until this morning (thankfully the pain was subsiding a little) and when he was seen, it was one of those 5 second appointments where the doctor throws a perscription of "Vitamin M." at you.

They told him it was either a nerve or a pulled muscle and sent him on his merry way. How about giving him a waiver for PT? Something? Anything? Oh wait, he got some Motrin.

This is frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Motrin is the old stand by. Every time Dh goes to sick call he gets it. Click here to enlarge I hope he's feeling better.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Dawn Keebals
Well he just called me. He had to go to PT today and they had to run a 5K! Hopefully he won't feel too crappy Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I have gotten a bottle of motrin every time I have gone for a sick appointment. Usually the jumbo sized bottle with 90 or so of the 800 mg ones. Click here to enlarge

This last tiem they even gave me a refill on it. Like I really needed 180 of those things!

I hope his back feels better soon!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Same here, motrin motrin motrin. My dh will throw a fit if they don't give him a note for pt. He had surgery and still had to go to pt every morning, just not work out. He still had to show up though. I hope your dh is feeling better soon.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 01:58 AM
Ambulance Chaser

They did that to my dh as well, in 95, when he had severe back pain. After about 4 weeks on Motrin and another strong muscle relaxer, (and the doctor at the end threatening him that he would go to his commander because dh just wants to get out of PT) he woke up one morning and couldn't move, he was crying it hurt so bad.

I went to the Patient Liasion and demanded (yes, I demanded, would not take no for an answer) that he was send to Walter Reed (we were in MD) for an MRI.

The very next day he went to get the MRI, and 12 hours later he had emergency surgery on a disc that herniated so bad he was that close to permanently lose bowel and bladder function.

They can certainly suck big time. Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 05:59 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

DH went to sick call for 2 weeks straight for back pain, before they FINALLY did X-rays on it, and discovered that he had scoliosis, in the area right between the shoulder blades(so REALLY hard to find without x-rays). It took him another 9 months to be able to get a permanent profile to not have to run or carry a heavy rucksack. He is now receiving disability from the military for it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Ambulance Chaser

Hope your DH is doing better.

Here is a flip-side for you. X-rays and MRI are not needed in most cases. I'd say 95% of the people I see do get better with Motrin and muscle relaxant (and obviously a break from strenuous exercise; the Dr. is a dumb-ass for not doing that). If my patients do not improve within a few days or if they get worse, I give strict instructions for f/u. If I MRI'd every back pain that comes in the door around the time of PT tests and long unit runs, it would be ridiculous. It is estimated that 80% of adults will have at least one major episode of back pain in their lifetime; I am positive 80% of adults do not need MRIs done.

He needs to take the Motrin regularly; it really does help, I promise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in