DITY move vs having the movers move you - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Military Moms--DECLASSIFIED Are you in the military or married to it? If so, then this is the place for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

DITY move vs having the movers move you

I don't have enough posts to be in the Top Secret forum yet.. we are moving to Ft. Carson in January and are considering doing a DITY move, something we haven't done yet.

So, what are the pros to doing a DITY move? Can you really make money off it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Yes you can make quite a bit of money off of a dity move. Depends on how far you are willing to drive and much you love packing and loading boxes. Click here to enlarge

Don't forget to request your DLA, this is free money from the gov. above and beyond your dity advances.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

We have never really noticed a lot of money from a DITY move. Click here to enlarge I think it's just as well to have the movers do all the work and be done with it.

1. You have more time to look for a house. You dont' have to worry about finding one and moving all your stuff in before the truck is due back.

2. You don't have to drive two vehicles, we would with our family.

3. You get paid DLA (dislocation) and travel expenses, so much per mile.

Basically, time is your friend. I have found that you have more time and energy if someone else moves your stuff. You will have to watch them pack your stuff, get help if you have friends available.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Those were pros for movers, not DITY. Click here to enlarge

I don't have any pros for DITY.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

You could always do a partial DITY, just move enough stuff to get you settled(coffee maker, something to function as a bed, clothes, et)

I saw do a partial, because we had the military move our stuff from ND to LA, and it took 3 months to get to us(It got to the AF base fine, but then, they left it in storage for 2 1/2 months)

That was a LONG 3 months, let me tell you. Thank goodness for the clothing locker, and some great superiors of DH's. We were able to get a futon mattress, dishes, some furniture for the living room, etc until our stuff got to us.

Our DITY move sucked ass.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

"say" not saw.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I don't see why a move from Ft Sill to Ft Carson would be too bad, but Kiowa is right, no one makes enough money to make it worth the hassle.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 05:37 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

The only time I would consider a DITY move is when moving from off post housing to on post. Just way too much hassle otherwise.

Doesn't help that I have been hugely pregnant everytime we have moved. Click here to enlarge
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

Thanks everyone. How much would be worth it to you though? I figure if I make 1-2,000 off the move, that's 1-2,000 I didn't have before. I dunno, dh is going to ask the transportation office questions about how much we would get based on our weight and then we can decide. We plan to have a place set up before we get there, so I'm not worried about leaving our stuff in the truck/in storage or whatever.

Nodak- it took them that long? Wow. We had the movers move our stuff from GA and it got put into storage, but we had it within a week.

I don't know how probable a partial DITY would be for us, we have a Sentra - I don't think we could use it to tow a trailor.

Sherrie- if there were a chance of my being pregnant during the move I wouldn't consider it at all either Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 06:31 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Yes, it seriously took that long. Thing is, in ND, it's all Air force bases. So, the movers from AF base came down to pack up our stuff, and then they were supposed to send it on to Ft Polk. They never did, DH had to call a couple of times before they even got it on the truck to us.

You'll be driving thru mountains, those are horrendous in a moving truck(hell, they are in a car too, I was white knuckled our whole trip thru the Ozarks)and I was in the car! I don't know how DH did it in the truck.

The gas tanks on moving trucks are huge, and 2 years ago, it took over $100 to fill it. Plus the gas on my car. And every 700-800 miles, we had to fill up both vehicles. That alone would cost a decent amount of money.

Then you gotta figure hotel costs(and most don't take dogs) food, etc. We ended up making very little, and it was so NOT worth it. We swore if DH re-enlisted, we would never do another DITY move.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 06:31 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

We've towed a uhaul with our Kia, a sentra would probably do fine.

I take stuff we have to have and really vaulable things with me. Even if you only take your cars and use a car top carrier yo can get some money back for the partial dity.

I would rather let someone else do all the work, it honestly isn't worth it to do a full dity move. We had to do that when we went to our first dity station and vowed to never do it again , ever.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I have never noticed any money to be made on a DITY. The only money I have noticed was when we had movers do it. When we moved to Hawaii we had our stuff in a month. We are going to VA this time and no way am I doing a DITY, we may end up doing a partial since we need to tow dh's Trans AM, but that's it.

How did you tow a U haul with a Kia? Click here to enlarge THey said I could only tow the tiny one with my XTerra. Click here to enlarge

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 07:17 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

It was little, but it happened. We also tow a motorcycle behind it sometimes. I don't takemuch with us just the absolute neccessities.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

Ah, so we could get a carrier and claim a partial DITY? I might do that then.

Nodak- I'm not worried about my husband driving through the snow/mountains.. it's *me* I'm going to be worried about Click here to enlarge He is from Connecticut, so snow is no biggie to him. I will be creeping along in my car Click here to enlarge

Thanks everyone - we will look into a partial DITY with a top carrier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in