dam. why so much seperation anxiety? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Location: somewhere, over there and up, turn around and back down

dam. why so much seperation anxiety?

why?
i just want to cry all the time when I leave Luke in the morning. For the past few weeks, he's been screaming and cryin when I leave. He reaches out for me and as I walk down the hall, i can hear him calling my name. It takes everything in me to keep walking.. (that and knowing I have to pay the bills)

sooo why is he acting like this? It's been this bad for a few weeks now, maybe 6? He hasn't changed rooms in 5 months and has the same teacher every morning.

He's 23 months and will be 2 in 2 weeks. Is this a 'major' time for seperation anxiety?

I just feel tremendous guilt, like he is 'mad' at me all day and will remember me as someone that 'leaves' him when he's upset.

argh.. any words of advise? Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticFrig Send a message via Skype™ to CelticFrig
No advice yet. My ds is only 7 months. I'm sorry though. I'm sure it's heartbreaking. Does he enjoy the daycare? Is he settling in to regular play after you leave? Anything significant happen about the time it started?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 07:53 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to _DJ_
Oh ugh, I feel your pain. When I first put my son in daycare, he was almost 3. Everyone told me it would take 2 weeks for him to adjust. It took 2 freaking months before he would not cry in the morning!! And even after that, he was clingy and timid every day, not outright squalling, but not eager to leave either. Click here to enlarge

It royally sucked. I was very confident with the center however, and the staff was absolutely wonderful, and he FINALLY adjusted. He stayed in that center for 3 years, until he started Kindergarten, and loved all the kids and teachers there. He still talks about them. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Hang in there - if you are confident with the staff, and know he is being loved and well taken care of - he will eventually come around.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

DS just turned 21 mos and we went through that for a couple weeks about a month ago. He was fine up to that point and just one day started clinging to me and bawling when I left. Then as quickly as it started, he stopped. Yesterday I was chatting with DCP and he took my hand and led me to the door and said. "Out, bye, bye Mama."

I know its hard. Even knowing that they are fine 2 minutes after you leave doesn't make leaving any easier. I hope he's back to normal soon.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Location: somewhere, over there and up, turn around and back down

I'm confident in the center and the teachers. It's an awesome facility and he's been there since he was 3 months old. I have no doubts in my mind he's well taken care of.

I think I am going to ask husband to take him tomorrow. I need a break from the excess guilt.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

At that age, they are also just starting to feel a real attachment to their parents. It's surprising that it takes that long, but it really starts to click for them around 18 months. It's a healthy sign of his bond with you.

My dd went through that phase but instead of crying she would just get very quiet and sit down at daycare to do her thing, very sullen. She'd stay that way much of the day. It was heartbreaking. In fact, I started bawling one day as I was leaving and her dcp had to come out in the hall and give me a hug. Very embarrassing! A couple of weeks later she was ok again, very happy and refusing to leave.

Taking a break tomorrow is a good idea!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 09:57 AM
Ambulance Chaser

Lisa, I could have written you post! I so feel your pain. Austin, who will be 2 this month, is also going thru this. One week, he'll do fine at drop off, the next week it's horrible. This morning alone, he screamed and was clinging to me and one of the teachers had to physically take him from me so I could leave. I always try to stay around a few minutes to help him calm down, but this morning, there was no having that. He just didn't want to stay. I'm hoping, along with you, that this phase doesn't last much longer.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Ambulance Chaser

no advice just Click here to enlarge
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Ambulance Chaser

my son loves to go to his babysitters so I dont have any advice for ya.
Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Dragonditties
Ambulance Chaser

guess there is no luck for an easy transition of the twins in there new daycare GRRRRRRRR
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Hard-Core Sybermom

Kai, who is 2 1/2 started doing this right before the holidays. I kind of chalked it up to all the excitement going on everywhere. She has been worse about me leaving since we came back from Christmas break, but I don't think that's anything unusual. She got to spend the last 2 weeks home with mom and dad and big brother everyday. Even though she's excited to see her friends every morning, she pitches a fit when I go. Luckily, she has great teachers, and I don't have to worry that she cries very long after I leave. I know this because it's like pulling teeth to get her to leave at the end of the day.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Kyle has started doing this lately. Some days are better than others. I know right after I leave he is fine though, I've checked back. My daughter did it too, and she was fine.

This too shall pass...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in