Sybermoms Parenting Forum

Sybermoms Parenting Forum (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/)
-   Double Duty Divas (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/15-double-duty-divas/)
-   -   When the boss says, "Come into my office..." (https://www.sybermoms.com/forums/15-double-duty-divas/139131-when-boss-says-come-into-my-office.html)

LoRo 01-08-2004 07:37 AM

When the boss says, "Come into my office..."

do you automatically assume it's to confront you about your egregious use of the Internet? I do.:snicker

But no, it was even worse. She told me she resigned. I hate change of this scale and lately the administration has been making a lot of decisions that just don't make sense. Things could change a lot, and who knows what her replacement would bring. They don't think they will even replace her for a year or so.

So I tell dh this last night, and he says "Does she want to take anyone with her?" She is moving to Florida. We have been fantasizing about making a big move, and this would be huge. I don't even know how to approach her about it.

Has anyone ever moved for a job? It seems to me a scary yet exhilirating thing.

Kady 01-08-2004 07:49 AM

Re: When the boss says, "Come into my office..."

Quote:

Originally posted by LoRo
do you automatically assume it's to confront you about your egregious use of the Internet? I do.:snicker
:hello

I have made a big move but not with a family. It would take a lot for me to make that kind of change. Anywhere that I have family is always an option, though, and my ILs are pressuring DH to move to WA but I don't think I could stand to live in "lower Canada." :snicker

If it sounds like you want to change jobs I don't see moving as a big hurdle. But I've moved a few times so maybe my perception is a bit skewed? :dunno

Cowgirl 01-08-2004 08:00 AM

Re: When the boss says, "Come into my office..."

Quote:

Originally posted by LoRo

:ita

Good luck w/ your decision. I've never moved for a job. Sounds like it's on your mind though

Rose 01-08-2004 09:17 AM

Everytime I am called over I always assume the worst.

As for moving for a job, anything is possible if the opportunity arises.

DaWezl 01-08-2004 09:42 AM

I'm also one who fears the worst when I'm called in. It's all I can do to keep from stammering "I'll never visit SM again on work time!!!!" the second they call me over. The last time, I was so relieved that it wasn't anything bad for me or something I did wrong that I didn't even care that we were going to do something that required a lot more work for our department!

I did move for this job, and actively pursued a job where I would have to move. It really was great once we were settled in our new place. The only downside was trying to start a new job when I didn't live in the area. I would recommend finding temporary housing for the immediate move, so that you won't rush into a home purchase, and can take your time looking at all the neighborhoods.

Good luck!
--Nancy L.

bluebonnet 01-08-2004 09:54 AM

:ITA Me too! I assume I've done something wrong, not neccessarily the internet. I think wtf have I screwed up now? :paranoia

Julie Ruin 01-08-2004 10:17 AM

I haven't moved for a job, but it sounds like a really exciting possibility. :)

Oh and you fucking bet every time I got the "come into my office" email I was SURE it was to bust me for internet usage. Hasn't happened yet though...

Dragonditties 01-08-2004 01:15 PM

oh I think the same thing. either internet usage or something I've done wrong.

AMG 01-08-2004 03:03 PM

:hello On both counts :lol

Years ago, I was a supervisor in collections for a mortgage co. This was during the oil/real estate bust in TX in the 1980's, so things were grim. Our company got taken over & the big bosses bailed. Several of them moved to Dallas. I called the man who had been my manager's manager damne near every day, begging for a job :lol (of course, we had a good working relationship, so I felt comfortable doing so). He finally had a place for me - it was a lesser position, but under his mentorship, I quickly moved up & when THAT company went under, moved with him to the next one.

Short version: yes, I moved. Worked out great. Never hurts to ask. :D

Grimalkunt 01-08-2004 04:30 PM

Yup. I think "What did I do now?". Fortunately, it's usually because my boss wants me to show him how to do something on the computer.

smellycat 01-08-2004 04:32 PM

Me too, immediately I think the internet usage.

ShortieDAM 01-08-2004 05:03 PM

when the boss tells me to come into the office I automatically think I have done something wrong. I have never had a job where I was able to access the internet but you can bet if I did I would be feeling the same way ya'll feel :lol
As for moving for a job. I would do it, but thats only because I myself would LOVE to move to Florida :lol

LetThereBeLips 01-09-2004 08:49 AM

It does suck when you get the old "do you have a minute?" from the boss. :lol

I'd move for a job, if I really loved the job and the person I would be moving for. And if it was to a place I'd want to live, of course!

Coco 01-09-2004 09:50 AM

No shit, this JUST happened to me!!
Our second level mgr. (my boss's boss)
called me into the 'huddle room'.
I really thought he was going to get on me about using the internet...I can never seem to close the window fast enough when he walks by! :doh :lol

But it was actually to ask if I'd be interested in another acting management position! :clap

There's going to be some changes and moving around in my dept, so I may have an opportunity.

Alias 01-09-2004 01:17 PM

Yes it is either the Internet use or being laid off. But in this day in age, it is always a negative thought. Especially with my boss who is a schiz and you never know what mood she is in when you go see her.

Keeping my fingers crossed that she would take you with her. That would be wonderful.

ArmyFnp 01-09-2004 10:00 PM

Yes... I do automatically assume I am in trouble, most likely over internet usage. Lately, my boss has taken to calling me to see if I am done with patients and my heart stops. All he is doing is asking if I'm ready to go get something at the chow-hall. I think he realizes I've been stressed lately.

Moving for a job isn't so bad, although I do not highly recommend the every 2 to 3 years we do. If it's to an area you would like and the job is something you would like, I'd do it.

MSRX 01-11-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

do you automatically assume it's to confront you about your egregious use of the Internet? I do
Me too, I figure other than that they can't complain about my work.

BustyRose 01-13-2004 06:44 PM

When the boss says, "My dear, may I see you a minute?" Usually I think, what the fuck did I do?, or maybe the internet police have finally caught up with me.... So far so good!