When the boss says, "Come into my office..." - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

When the boss says, "Come into my office..."

do you automatically assume it's to confront you about your egregious use of the Internet? I do.Click here to enlarge

But no, it was even worse. She told me she resigned. I hate change of this scale and lately the administration has been making a lot of decisions that just don't make sense. Things could change a lot, and who knows what her replacement would bring. They don't think they will even replace her for a year or so.

So I tell dh this last night, and he says "Does she want to take anyone with her?" She is moving to Florida. We have been fantasizing about making a big move, and this would be huge. I don't even know how to approach her about it.

Has anyone ever moved for a job? It seems to me a scary yet exhilirating thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 07:49 AM
Kady
Ambulance Chaser

Re: When the boss says, "Come into my office..."

Quote:
Originally posted by LoRo
do you automatically assume it's to confront you about your egregious use of the Internet? I do.Click here to enlarge
Click here to enlarge

I have made a big move but not with a family. It would take a lot for me to make that kind of change. Anywhere that I have family is always an option, though, and my ILs are pressuring DH to move to WA but I don't think I could stand to live in "lower Canada." Click here to enlarge

If it sounds like you want to change jobs I don't see moving as a big hurdle. But I've moved a few times so maybe my perception is a bit skewed? Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Location: somewhere, over there and up, turn around and back down

Re: When the boss says, "Come into my office..."

Quote:
Originally posted by LoRo

Click here to enlarge

Good luck w/ your decision. I've never moved for a job. Sounds like it's on your mind though
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Everytime I am called over I always assume the worst.

As for moving for a job, anything is possible if the opportunity arises.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm also one who fears the worst when I'm called in. It's all I can do to keep from stammering "I'll never visit SM again on work time!!!!" the second they call me over. The last time, I was so relieved that it wasn't anything bad for me or something I did wrong that I didn't even care that we were going to do something that required a lot more work for our department!

I did move for this job, and actively pursued a job where I would have to move. It really was great once we were settled in our new place. The only downside was trying to start a new job when I didn't live in the area. I would recommend finding temporary housing for the immediate move, so that you won't rush into a home purchase, and can take your time looking at all the neighborhoods.

Good luck!
--Nancy L.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to bluebonnet
Click here to enlarge Me too! I assume I've done something wrong, not neccessarily the internet. I think wtf have I screwed up now? Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Location: trying to claw my way out of this ridiculous fucking obsession

Send a message via Yahoo to Julie Ruin
I haven't moved for a job, but it sounds like a really exciting possibility. Click here to enlarge

Oh and you fucking bet every time I got the "come into my office" email I was SURE it was to bust me for internet usage. Hasn't happened yet though...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Dragonditties
Ambulance Chaser

oh I think the same thing. either internet usage or something I've done wrong.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 03:03 PM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge On both counts Click here to enlarge

Years ago, I was a supervisor in collections for a mortgage co. This was during the oil/real estate bust in TX in the 1980's, so things were grim. Our company got taken over & the big bosses bailed. Several of them moved to Dallas. I called the man who had been my manager's manager damne near every day, begging for a job Click here to enlarge (of course, we had a good working relationship, so I felt comfortable doing so). He finally had a place for me - it was a lesser position, but under his mentorship, I quickly moved up & when THAT company went under, moved with him to the next one.

Short version: yes, I moved. Worked out great. Never hurts to ask. Click here to enlarge
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 04:30 PM

Yup. I think "What did I do now?". Fortunately, it's usually because my boss wants me to show him how to do something on the computer.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Me too, immediately I think the internet usage.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

when the boss tells me to come into the office I automatically think I have done something wrong. I have never had a job where I was able to access the internet but you can bet if I did I would be feeling the same way ya'll feel Click here to enlarge
As for moving for a job. I would do it, but thats only because I myself would LOVE to move to Florida Click here to enlarge
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

It does suck when you get the old "do you have a minute?" from the boss. Click here to enlarge

I'd move for a job, if I really loved the job and the person I would be moving for. And if it was to a place I'd want to live, of course!

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

No shit, this JUST happened to me!!
Our second level mgr. (my boss's boss)
called me into the 'huddle room'.
I really thought he was going to get on me about using the internet...I can never seem to close the window fast enough when he walks by! Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

But it was actually to ask if I'd be interested in another acting management position! Click here to enlarge

There's going to be some changes and moving around in my dept, so I may have an opportunity.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Location: Where there are only 2 seasons - winter and construction

Send a message via Yahoo to Alias
Yes it is either the Internet use or being laid off. But in this day in age, it is always a negative thought. Especially with my boss who is a schiz and you never know what mood she is in when you go see her.

Keeping my fingers crossed that she would take you with her. That would be wonderful.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yes... I do automatically assume I am in trouble, most likely over internet usage. Lately, my boss has taken to calling me to see if I am done with patients and my heart stops. All he is doing is asking if I'm ready to go get something at the chow-hall. I think he realizes I've been stressed lately.

Moving for a job isn't so bad, although I do not highly recommend the every 2 to 3 years we do. If it's to an area you would like and the job is something you would like, I'd do it.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to MSRX Send a message via Yahoo to MSRX
Quote:
do you automatically assume it's to confront you about your egregious use of the Internet? I do
Me too, I figure other than that they can't complain about my work.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

When the boss says, "My dear, may I see you a minute?" Usually I think, what the fuck did I do?, or maybe the internet police have finally caught up with me.... So far so good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in