I got a new job! - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I got a new job!

I work in a nursing home and have been getting increasingly unhappy with them. We have a full house, people are quitting left and right, and we're in the middle of a hiring freeze. What does that translate into? Instead of 2 nurses and 5 aids to care for 50 residents we have 1 nurse and 2 aids to care for 50 residents.

On top of all that, I have my evaluation a couple weeks ago. The whole evaluation went well except for my attendence. I missed 4 days in the past year. My son had been very ill, missing 17 days from school, for an extended amount of time. My husband exhausted his entire vacation for the year just staying home with him. So I didn't think that missing 4 days was all that excessive. Especially since I was paid for all those days. In fact, I was eligible to take another day paid. So why is 4 a big deal? No idea.
Anyway, During the evaluation I was told I'd be getting my raise.

Now, my work notoriously gives SHITTY raises. Last year was only $.26 an hour!

Two days after my evaluation the director of nursing calls me into her office to inform me that she made an error, I am NOT getting my raise because of my "attendence problem." Click here to enlarge I told her, in not so many words, how shitty I thought that was and that I am a great employee, etc. She apologized and said it was out of her hands.

I figured, who the hell cares...it's only an $.18 raise this time! By the way, I wasn' the only one they did this to. Another girl didn't get her raise because of an "attendence problem"...her house burned to the ground and she took several days to secure an apartment, clothing, etc.

So I applied at a big hospital in Chicago (Rush). I've always been afraid to apply thinking I'd never get in. Well I got in right away. I applied for a CNA position, but was hired for a CNA II position (it's in between CNA and RN, as I'm an RN student) plus, they're paying me TWICE (!!!!) what I was make at my current job! Also, they're very interested in hiring my when I graduate as an RN and paying for my bachelors degree.

I'm so extremely excited I can barely stand it! I had my orientation on Tuesday and so far I love it! I can see myself working there for a very long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Ambulance Chaser

That is so cool! Congrats! It is exciting to get a new job that you never thought you'd get. I'm a Chicagoan too and Rush is a great hospital.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 05:23 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

That sounds like a much better situation for you - Congratulations Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Wow! Way to go! Click here to enlarge Rush is very reputable even out here in the East. That nursing home sounds very cheap and they were dicking good people around just to protect their bottom line. Glad it worked out for you!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Way to go Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in