Your work environment - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Your work environment

What's it like? What are your hours? What is your office/place of employment like? Do you like your coworkers? Do you have "friends" at work that you go out to lunch with or hang out with after work? Are you the first one out the door at quitting time? Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

I work in an office w/ 18 women and 1 man (the boss). For the most part, we all get along. There's the occasional petty disagreement, but it's usually a good place to work. There are a couple of groups that go out to lunch together but I usually stay in and eat and read or play on the intranets. Click here to enlarge I have been out twice w/ a couple of them after work and had a good time, but it's not something I'd do on a regular basis, I don't think.

I am out the door at 5pm. Come hell or high water. Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I work in an office of one. My boss is ok. He is really flexible with my work schedule, 8:30 - 4:30 so I can take the kids to school in the am. As long as I get my work done, he doesn't care what I do. I really miss having interaction with other coworkers at my last job. I have been posting more here to compensate. Click here to enlarge

I work late most nights (to get overtime pay). I rarely go out to eat unless dh or my dad comes out to the plant.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I work in an office of two plus me. I get in anywhere between 8 and 8:30. The owner/attorney and I have worked together for almost 9 years now so we work really well together.

He and I try to do lunch once a month to discuss how things are going. It's been so busy lately that we don't get a lot of time to catch up. My set work time is 8:30 to 2:30 but I haven't left that early in awhile. He knows that when it's busy I'll stay until the work is done. Lately that's been more like 4:00.

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase- Martin Luther King Jr.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I teach college and write at home. I LOVE my new campus, because I go in around 11:30 (I teach in 6-week semesters, 5 hours per day per course) and chat with the admin, the dean, the librarian, get my photocopying done, review notes, teach, then leave.

It's just enough interaction with colleagues. If I could teach 3 days a week or 1 day, 2 nights, I'd be in heaven. Right now there aren't enough courses for that.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I work at a school with 35 or so female teachers and a male principal. It is pretty awesome. My hours are great. I work from 8:15 or so (after I drop my son off at the middle school) until 3:30 most days but I leave at 1:15 on Fridays so that I can pick up my ds on his early days. I am actually in a separate classroom/office away from the other 'pods'. We pull students for testing and small group activities. I share that room with one person. She and I are friends. We get along very well and that was why I was hired for the job. She can have trouble with some people and I am the buffer. We eat lunch together almost every day. We went to Island's today because the principal gave us free meal certificates for doing a great job on administering the 4th grade writing test. Anything on the menu. Pretty sweet. Click here to enlarge

I put in more hours than I am paid for and I do extra-curriculars as an advisor to the Safety Patrol.

Our school is like a family. We may not always like what a co-worker does, but you just have to get over it and move on, just like you do with annoying family members.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Chatter
I work in a veterinary office with 1 other girl and the vet. My hours are very weird, as we split days if it's slow. Both of us are there in the mornings to assist with surgeries and appointments, but if the afternoon is slow, we take turns having the day off. The girl I work with is very nice, we get along really well. The vet I work for is an old grumpy asshole and I don't agree with some of his practices, but who can afford to quit a job right now? I will say that he is very flexible with our schedules, and if her or I need a day off for something it's never a big deal.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I work in a large law office, but I work for just 2 attorneys, one who only works 3 days a week. My hours are 8-4 days a week and 8-3 on Mondays, but I have the option to sometimes work from home if I've got something going on (i.e., school is closed or I have dr. appts. or school events). My bosses are very flexible and I can take time as needed for school events, dr. appts., etc.

I have an assistant who I am friendly with and I will eat lunch with her occasionally or with another co-worker I've known for years and years. But mostly I eat lunch at my desk then take care of any personal tasks (like paying bills or making phone calls) during my lunch hour.

It is easier to build strong children than to repair b.roken men.
-Frederick Douglass

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via AIM to Flagon
I work mostly from home right now, although I was in the office three times this week. I have an office in downtown DC in one of the beautiful buildings that lines Constitution Avenue. I can see the dome of the Museum of Natural History from my window. It's a lovely physical environment. I enjoy the people I work with, for the most part. We occasionally have lunch together and they're always fun on travel. Click here to enlarge They're also dedicated to their work and extremely professional, which I appreciate.

On the books, I work a standard 8-hour work day. I almost always work more than that, though, because I'll start early in the morning with e-mails and pick up work again at various points in the evening and later at night. That's the one thing that isn't fantastic about working from home - it's a bit hard to disengage. Fortunately, I can get out for errands and a walk or run or some other outing in the middle of the day.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

What's it like? What are your hours? What is your office/place of employment like? Do you like your coworkers? Do you have "friends" at work that you go out to lunch with or hang out with after work? Are you the first one out the door at quitting time?

I'm one of 3 women in a shop of 20. It's pretty horrible as far as jokes go. Very un-PC and I've picked up some really bad habits when it comes to joking around. Like, nothing is sacred Click here to enlarge We have an inspection coming up, and it's a big one. We joke about it being the apocalypse, and even wrote a checklist for it. Then we drew a big pic of jesus and called it Larry Christ, jesus' older half brother. Because Mary was a whore.

We're really not okay.

The hours are rough right now, and I think that directly correlates to how bad the joking is. We're all very sarcastic anyways, but we're working extended hours and have been for the last 2 months, so things are starting to crack a bit I think Click here to enlarge

I like my coworkers, we all mesh really well. It does get a bit cliquey at times, but for the most part we all get along. We all tend to go out to lunch together, sometimes in groups, and sometimes just one or two. My section has 4 people, and we tend to run in a pack. Meetings, coffee, runs to the orderly room, whatever. We all seem to go together for some ridiculous reason. We all walk out at the end of the day together. That's just how we roll Click here to enlarge

There's one particular person in the orderly room that we really dislike. We all converge on his desk when he's not there and move everything. We're just not right Click here to enlarge

General Immoral Fuckery
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

It's a large bank

4 people in 2 cubbies-that is, a boss, 2 ladies (I'm the oldest) and a man. Bossman prefers to be with us unless he has something very hard to do, and needs concentration and silence. These cubbies are part of a larger office with 22 people in total.
The whole office's atmosphere is, well, meh. Lots of competition and petty behavior. We 4 form a sort of weird clique, with an average age of 40 yo.
The entire building has something like 3.500 people and believe it or not some of us are known in most offices. 7:30 to 8 hours M-F. My small group is OK, but many days I wish I could work at home, mainly because of the killer commute.
I'm a hermit when it comes to lunch time. I love walking on my own to get my food, about 3 blocks away, and later I eat at my desk.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I am still on mat leave, but work one day per week (Mondays 10-6pm). My boss is cool about arranging my schedule around nursing, which I appreciate. She's a real Type A control freak, but has a good heart too.

I guess we have 2 bosses (a couple of docs) but she's the one that handles most staffing issues.

I will gradually go back to work (2 days/wk, 3 days/wk) until I work my way up to my previous 4 days/week. Before I was pregnant I was given the option of a full week, but I didn't want it then and even less so now that I have a child. Hours are normally M-F 8-5:30, so that's cool too.

There are 6 staff and 2 doctors and I like all the girls I work with. One of them I've known since I was around 8 years old. I suggested she apply when we had an opening.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I work 3-4 12 hour shifts (7am-7pm) per week on the cardiac unit of a hospital. I have to work every other weekend and every other holiday, but other than that I pretty much self-schedule. It's very convenient for my kids' activities. I love my job, love (most Click here to enlarge) of my coworkers and am very friendly with several of them. We hang together outside of work, watch each others kids, have a softball team, summer parties, weddings, baby showers, etc together. Because I do shift work, everyone leaves at about the same time unless something is crazy.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I work full time for a semiconductor startup in Silicon Valley. (Since DS was born, full time has become 40 hours instead of 50+.) I work at home three days a week and only brave the hour commute twice a week. I dash out the door by 4:30 to beat the commute and to get DS by 5:30.

The company has almost 100 people, mostly men. I have friends at work who I go out for lunch with (mostly male engineers), but never hang out with after work, and others who I talk with about RL topics (mostly female staff). I have a fantastic relationship with my boss. He gives me interesting things to work on and always listens to my ideas. If anyone made my life hell at work, he would fix it.

I like some of my coworkers, others less well. I can't think of anyone I detest. Some of them are among the sharpest folks I have ever met, which is something I really enjoy.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to gracie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlrightyThen View Post
What's it like? What are your hours? What is your office/place of employment like? Do you like your coworkers? Do you have "friends" at work that you go out to lunch with or hang out with after work? Are you the first one out the door at quitting time? Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
I sit in a cubicle with my podmate Click here to enlarge Its on a huge floor (one of three floors) with hundreds of other cubicles/computers. My hours are Sunday 10-6:30, Monday through Thursday 8-1. I like my coworkers well enough. Some still think they are in HS, but what can ya do Click here to enlarge I do go out with some of them, but not too much since I work in KY but live in OH. And yes indeedy I am out the door at 1:02 Click here to enlarge
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via AIM to mrs*skankypants
i have a pretty horrible work environment. i love my little classroom and my computers, but my students have all done jail time and they curse and carry on constantly. some get mildly violent sometimes...like banging on the door violent, not hitting or shooting.

but the worst part is the fellow staffers, who are all in their twenties and are outright snots. they just don't have anything to say to me, so i stay out of their way and keep to myself. i think the worst part of all of it is that i cannot be myself. i have to keep my foul mouth under wraps while people are cursing a blue streak around me, n words and fuck and shit...and all, it's frustrating. i have to be an "example." yuck. i'm not straightlaced. but i have to be here, cause all the fun belongs to the younger ones.

i like the two older people i work with, they're ok, but there's a definite gulf between me and them. they're kind and they understand, but it's totally a youth program, and i'm not accepted at all.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." — Isak Dinesen

"We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them." -John Waters

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars- Serbian proverb
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I work in a heavy male focused office. Wait, I mean dominated lol. Great open concept floor with lots of room, and is cozy. just a lot of men.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in