How much sick time do you get? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Holy crap they actually sat together and smiled
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Coralblur
How much sick time do you get?

I am so frustrated. I get 5 days a year. It's unpaid so it isn't like I can take unpaid personal days on top of it. It's mid-march and I have already used up 3. One I used when I had bronchitis really bad and I had a lot of chest pain. One I used when I had a stomach bug. Today I called off because the school sent dd home sick. DH is normally off today but is at work filling in for a sick guy there. The ILs are out of town. I don't have another sitter, and even if I did I am not sure anyone wants to take on a sick kid.

How do you guys deal with this?

An amazing charity
Please remind your children what to do if their clothing catches fire. It could save their life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I get 17 days a year to use however I want. I very rarely get sick so they are usually taken up with things I need to do for the kids or vacation days. We have a bunch of dh's family living around us. If one of the kids is ever sick at school, they are really good about picking them up and watching them until I get home.

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase- Martin Luther King Jr.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Ambulance Chaser

I get 12 sick days per year and 15 vacation days per year.

Sorry Coral. Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I am usually able to work from home when I am sick (unless it's something like a stomach bug) so I don't end up using a lot of sick time, but it will be harder when I am a nurse and can't work from home. Dh will be using a lot more of his sick days I am sure.

I have 16 days a year of general PTO - I can use it for sick or vacation time. You may find that as the year goes on you use fewer days because people aren't getting sick as much.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

with my job @ GM i get 7 paid days & 2 weeks vacation . if i dont want to use up my personal days i can book a vacation day , i took a "sick" day today . but if im booking a day off ill use a vacation .
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I only have 5 paid sick days but I have 5 weeks' vacation, 2 regular + 3 bonus personal days and 2 floating holidays.

Plus, I can work from home when needed. I know I am lucky to have a lot of flexibility at this job.

I'm sorry about your situation Coral.

It is easier to build strong children than to repair b.roken men.
-Frederick Douglass

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm sorry, Coral. That really isn't very much time especially when you have kids.

I get 30 hours of sick leave and 20 hours of personal necessity leave each year. I also just started accruing 2 hours per month of vacation leave since it was my 6 year anniversary at the job. I work 28.5 hours per week. However, I work at a year round school and only report to work (and get paid for) 180 days/year.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
I think I get 6 days max, but after I use those days they come back? I don't know because I have only used them all once and that was a few years ago. My DH is a SAHD though so we haven't really had to deal with this and my work is very very flexible. I'm sorry you have to deal with this Click here to enlarge.

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I get 4. Click here to enlarge

I should say they are paid, and I also get 8 stat days and 2 weeks vacation.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

13 days, paid that don't expire until you use them. I have something like 65 days. Last year I took 1 day, this year I've taken 3 so far.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 PM

I earn 4 hours every two weeks. So that's about 12 days a year.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to gracie
I work for Citi and they call it "unplanned time". We get about 6 days a year, and it can be used in hourly increments if need be.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I get ~15 days of paid sick time. But I work for a small company (1 other employee) and I do have to tell them why.

I also get 3 weeks vacation and for valid reasons as much unpaid time as I have ever asked for.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceiha View Post
I work for Citi and they call it "unplanned time". We get about 6 days a year, and it can be used in hourly increments if need be.
Ours is "unplanned time" also and we get 80 hours a year. You can use that to call in sick or if you need to leave early, get stuck in traffic and come in late, etc.

How can they limit you to 5 days if it's not paid? Click here to enlarge perhaps they don't understand the concept. Click here to enlarge

I haven't hocked Scentsy in forever.
So I decided it was time to change my signature.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I'm sorry, Coral. Click here to enlarge

I get 8 paid sick days per year, and I can roll them over in to consecutive years to a maximum of 43 days.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 05:48 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I've been with my current employer since January 08 and I have just over 15 sick days banked and have used 2. I have taken other sick days but have used banked OT/time-in-lieu to cover those instead of using my sick time.

Carry me home down The Highway of Heroes.
People above with their flags flying low.
Carry me softly, down The Highway of Heroes.
True Patriot Love,
There was never more.

Watch it

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

umm we start out with ... well for us it's not done in days but in hours and we start with... I can't even remember Click here to enlarge but for every 4 months that we have perfect attendance (even taking a paid off in there doesn't count against that) we get an extra 8 hours of paid time off. We also earn time for every 40h we work. Then there's always the unpaid time off and ETOP lol
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 05:59 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I only get 3 paid personal days per year. Full-timers used to get 5 sick days but they were 'abusing' them. (they would call in sick for other stuff) so they became personal days and we lost 2. If I take off other time it would be unpaid.

I don't know how your employer can limit you to being sick 5 days per year. We can't control if we catch the flu, etc. Also I don't know why your boss wants a sickie coming into the office making everyone else sick.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:37 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I get a lot, my company is really generous. Which could maybe be a factor in their

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge Linus is helping me type. I was going to say "a factor in their economic implosion" but just as a joke--I don't think my minimum of 20 paid days off time off comes close to the impact of the multimillion-dollar bonuses.

Mickey Mackey Boo Ba Boo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in