Don't laugh... but my only dislike about my new job - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Don't laugh... but my only dislike about my new job

is having to go to the grocery on weekends or weeknightsClick here to enlarge How do people do it bc its so damn crowded. Am I missing when is the best time to go? It was ok early Sat mornings but hey I like my sleep too so that option is out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 PM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I would love being able to stop at the store on my way home from work Click here to enlarge I got spoiled years ago when the apt I lived in was a block away from a Tom Thumb and a 7-11. Everything I needed, right there on my way home Click here to enlarge

Weekends are hell at our grocery store Click here to enlarge Unless I get there at 7am on Saturday. Which I have done, but only because there was no other way to get everything done Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 05:06 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I've always shopped on weeknights. No way am I giving up any of my weekend to go to the grocery store. Dh picks up dd 1 night a week (usually Wednesday) and I go unencumbered so I can get the job done right. I'm there about 5:30, it's usually not too crowded.

I love days like today though, when I'm working from home, because I'll take a break and run to the store right before lunchtime.

It is easier to build strong children than to repair b.roken men.
-Frederick Douglass

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Dh picks up ds one day a week and I go after work on that day. I can usually get there by about 5:15 and it's not too terrible. Plus since I am alone it's like my fortress of solitude. Click here to enlarge

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Samantha Louise, 12 years old on 1/14/16
Hard-Core Sybermom

Sunday morning during church hours seems to be a good time. Unless you're in church, I guess.

--cited as one of sybermoms' most normal members.

http://365project.org/iowafalduto/365
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I hate grocery shopping for this very reason, and have already found grocery delivery services in Mass so that I never fucking have to do it again Click here to enlarge

General Immoral Fuckery
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I refuse to shop on weekends. I prefer Peapod, yay grocery deliveries! Dh doesn't like the delivery people coming in the house. He's so fucking weird. Click here to enlarge
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

DH does the shopping. Click here to enlarge

The only problem is that occasionally he doesn't pay close attention to the staples, and I get stuck finding out stuff is used up when he's off teaching, and I can't get to the store.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I told you it was a petty gripeClick here to enlarge

I miss shopping with all the old retired people during the dayClick here to enlarge They move at the pace I likeClick here to enlarge S.L.O.W.

Home delivery has never caught on hereClick here to enlarge
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 PM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWezl View Post
DH does the shopping. Click here to enlarge

The only problem is that occasionally he doesn't pay close attention to the staples, and I get stuck finding out stuff is used up when he's off teaching, and I can't get to the store.
OMFD. Click here to enlarge

He will stick to THE LIST. doG forbid he pick up anything that isn't on THE LIST. And he buys generics too much. I fuckign KNOW what stuff is OK in the generic/store brand realm and never stray from the tried & true. He has come home with some of the nasty-assed stuff and when I Click here to enlarge him, he says "What? it was on sale!" Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

This is why I hate grocery shopping....thankfully dh does most of it and if we need something on a weeknight my office is right next door to the grocery store!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Location: Attending this week's secret breastfeeding propaganda meeting

What's wrong with sticking to the list? I'd love it if my DH stuck to the list. Every time he goes alone, he spends an extra $20 or more on worthless crap.

T-shirts for all occasions. Even Canadian Thanksgiving.

www.ltrny.com
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

thank goodness for 24 hour stores and a teen. I go after the kids are asleep (10-11), or my husband who does most of the grocery shopping goes during the day since he WAH
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
What's wrong with sticking to the list? I'd love it if my DH stuck to the list. Every time he goes alone, he spends an extra $20 or more on worthless crap.
Well I guess if one's dh can't think for himself, if his wife didn't notice something that was running low, and he did, he still won't buy it. That's not very helpful.

My dh has a problem with reading labels and will pick up something in a similar container that no one eats (i.e., a different kind of chicken soup). Only he'll pick up like 4 of them and then they'll sit around in my pantry forever. This is why he is not allowed to grocery shop. Click here to enlarge

I find the whole having to make a list thing tiresome actually. I would love it if dh would make the list instead, but I fear the results. Click here to enlarge

Also he always claims he told me he was out of something, and it's never true. I've taken to putting a dry erase notepad on the fridge and dating it--everyone is supposed to list what they need. If it's not on that list, it's not going on my shopping list.

It is easier to build strong children than to repair b.roken men.
-Frederick Douglass

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." -- Benjamin Franklin
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Dh isn't allowed to grocery shop either. Click here to enlarge He'll come home with 2 pounds of grapes, a big container of strawberries, a bunch of bananas, and half a dozen apples. Click here to enlarge How are three people supposed to eat that much fruit before it spoils?!? Click here to enlarge And to top it off, he'll forget the bread - for lunches - the only thing that I sent him to the store to get.

Needless to say, I do most of my shopping on the weekend. *sigh*
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KariLynn View Post
Dh isn't allowed to grocery shop either. Click here to enlarge He'll come home with 2 pounds of grapes, a big container of strawberries, a bunch of bananas, and half a dozen apples. Click here to enlarge How are three people supposed to eat that much fruit before it spoils?!? Click here to enlarge
That would keep us going for the weekend. Click here to enlarge
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I go at different times. Click here to enlarge
Weeknights work sometimes. I belong to BJs too, and Weekends are the worst, so going during the evening is good.
One of the stores near me is 24 hours, though the latest I've ever been was maybe 11 PM. I remember my father going at 1 AM once, but that was because me, him and my mom were coming back from an event. I was about 14 at the time, so I was okay. Click here to enlarge
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTrashBarbie View Post
I've taken to putting a dry erase notepad on the fridge and dating it--everyone is supposed to list what they need. If it's not on that list, it's not going on my shopping list.
We have a pad of paper on the fridge. When you are out of something, you are supposed to write it down, the theory being that if we write doen whatever it is when we run out/run low, then we just need to grab the list & go to the store.

Nice theory. In practice, however, the list doesn't take into account lots of things. For example, the upcoming week's dinner menu needs. If I go to the store, I will browse the fresh veggies and think "Ooo! We haven't had that in a while - I think we'll have that on Tuesday" DH - nope. nary a thought like that would cross his mind Click here to enlarge
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Dh has his own business so he does this usually right after he picks dd up from school. For some reason, he likes them with him at the grocery store. I guess it entertains them. Click here to enlarge

Lime time.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I hated grocery shopping during the weekdays when I was home with DS. Click here to enlarge The old ladies moved slowly and were vicious with their carts.

DH usually does the shopping on the weekend - Saturday evening is a good time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in