AMG inspired me to post!
Long story slightly shorter: In early December, my ex-boss and I applied for manager & underling positions at a local company that we are extremely & unusually well-qualified for. We also have people on the inside recommending us. You'd think we'd be shoo-ins for serious consideration, but there are a LOT of frustrating local politics involved and the new company generally hates hiring people from ex-company. Bc of these politics, we weren't sure Boss would be considered as he was still employed when he applied, so I threw my name into the ring for both positions. However all of our recommendations have been for "Boss=manager, DaWezl=underling" bc that is what we truly would both like.
A few weeks ago, we both were notified that we'd moved on to the phone interview stage. The one thing I noticed was that my notification was also for the manager position. We weren't sure if this was intentional or if it was a mistake. After discussing it with my boss, we decided the best strategy was for me to proceed without asking which position I was being interviewed for--we both felt that if I was truly under consideration for the manager and Boss was knocked out of the running, it would weaken my application to sound more interested in the underling position. And if I was being considered for the underling, I should be putting my best foot forward anyway. We were told that they hoped to let us know pre-holidays if we'd moved on to the next step. On the 22nd, Boss was called back to schedule an onsite interview. I was not.
Boss had this second interview on Tuesday, and according to them, they hope to do the final round of interviews with upper management next week. We know this means I was clearly knocked out of running for the manager position (which with having my boss as a valid candidate comes as no huge surprise), but what we aren't sure about is whether or not I'm still under consideration for the underling position. Logic would lead me to think that they are waiting to hire the underling so that the new manager can also have a say in the process. I also know that our connections are still talking to the hiring manager about how both of us are strong candidates. But it's killing me to not know where I stand. Normally I would just drop a line to the recruiter to ask how things were going, but the one negative opinion I know they have of our ex-employer is that the people are pushy. And the connections are already telling us everything they know, but they aren't privy to the important details. So I have to sit back and play it cool. Not my strong suit!
I'm hoping that at least my boss gets in. At the very least, he would tell me point blank if there was some random strike against me, and if he can do anything to help get me in, he will. But in the meantime, I'm being tortured waiting to hear something back!!!