Is this a bus I see above me? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Is this a bus I see above me?

Tell me if you think I got thrown under the bus here ...

A message came into the on-call mailbox after the specified time that mailbox is monitored. I sent a standard reply that basically says "Your support request came in after extended hours support ended, please contact support as follows, blah blah blah"

The client questioned it, got clarification from management at client site that it was correct; the client questioned it again, management at client site requested we make sure the message was sent correctly.

Support manager replied with:
Quote:
It appears that the support representative generated that message in error. I will follow up with them.
Click here to enlarge

Excuse me? How about
1. You check with the support representative BEFORE you fucking email the client ad.min that I fucked up
2. Actually check the original message timestamp BEFORE you fucking email the client ad.min that I fucked up

AND THEN

I e-mailed him back, with C&P of the email headers from the client showing the time stamp.

He replies:
Quote:
OK. I think since those came in after 8am that they would be ‘no answer’ e-mails. I will have to double check Click here to enlarge
"Double-check" WHAT? I sent you the damn email headers.

Since this guy isn't MY manager Click here to enlarge I reply nicely with:
Quote:
Thanks – I feel a little ‘thrown under the bus’ on this one ;-)

We’ve had several support requests come in after 8AM CT/9AM ET this week – probably due to the change to Daylight Savings Time….
He replies:
Quote:
Sorry AMG. I was not intending to throw you under the bus at all. My main point on the e-mail to client ad.min was it was not an automated message, it was something we manually created.

I really apologize if it came across as badly. The original note you sent was not a major issue in my opinion.
Click here to enlarge

No, your MAIN POINT to the client was that the support representative (ME, damnit, whose name is on the damn outgoing e-mail) was in error.

And, afaik, he still hasn't emailed the client ad.min to let them know I was RIGHT, damnit Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

That looks like a bus to me. My old supervisor would have done the same thing (I have his job now Click here to enlarge). It makes me crazy when supervisor/managers assume the client it right without actually following up internally first.

Carry me home down The Highway of Heroes.
People above with their flags flying low.
Carry me softly, down The Highway of Heroes.
True Patriot Love,
There was never more.

Watch it

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

THANK YOU

Click here to enlarge

I swear, some people do NOT belong in supervisory positions Click here to enlarge
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Late to the depot, but yes, that was a bus driving right over you!

I've had a few managers who feel that if a client complains, the best response is to totally bend over backwards and admit non-existent wrong-doing. Although it's never the manager who is in the wrong. It's always some poor soul further down the food chain doing exactly what the manager told them to do. It drives me crazy, because you KNOW that if you'd somehow done what the client wanted against regulations, that same manager would have blasted you for violating policy. And if you complain too much about the bus on top of you, the manager turns to the higher ups and "gaslights" you by acting like you are totally overreacting over some stupid little insignificant misunderstanding. "I don't know *why* AMG is so upset over this. It was just a little confusion during the time change." (without ever acknowledging that they said to the client "AMG was TOTES wrong!")
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Exactly, DaWezl. Click here to enlarge

I am actually in the office today to complain about the shitty compensation for on-call and to see what my manager has to say about that stupid bus Click here to enlarge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I remember my dh complaining a lot about this sort of thing when he still did IT fulltime.

Ironically, he drives a bus parttime now which is neither here nor there but seemed in keeping with this post.

Lime time.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

My manager totally agreed that there was a bus on top of me.

Then he told me he had just handed in his notice Click here to enlarge He is one of the best managers I've ever worked for.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Damn! Good managers are hard to come by. I'm currently in the middle of some sort of pissing contest between my manager and our director. It's making me all kinds of crazy.

I don't know if there's such a thing as good compensation for being on call. We get $2/hr for being on standby and 3 hours pay for each call. If you get a call within 3 hours of the first call, you at only compensated for one. You also have the option of being paid time and a half for actual time worked if that works out in your favor. It usually doesn't. Except for the time a system went down and I was on the clock for 36 hours straight. Our payroll manager nearly had a heart attack that week. Click here to enlarge

True Patriot Love,
There was never more.

Watch it

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Our compensation would be ok if there were separate on all email adds for product & systems Click here to enlarge

Compensation is 1hr OT for every 6 hours on call + 1/2 hr OT for each email that comes in, or for the actual amt of time it takes to resolve.

The thing is though, the pager goes off for every single email & very, very few of them are systems Click here to enlarge AND!!! When we send the resolution email, it cc's the internal outlook group, so the pager goes off AGAIN. And there's one client who will reply to the resolution email about 30 minutes later to say "Thank you!" Click here to enlarge

I did a spreadsheet for one Sun-Mon overnight. Between midnight & 8 am, there were thirtyfuckingone emails, and only seven of the incoming ones were mine. Click here to enlarge

I did convince my boss (he already agreed with me on it Click here to enlarge) to have the product people handle any systems email that came in and to just call my cell phone if something happened that they couldn't handle Click here to enlarge

I did overnights for three damn weeks and it was fucking brutal.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

That would be brutal. We carry a cell and for the most part the only people who all it are the night staff on the help desk or the company that monitors the electronic health records system we support. We used to get several calls a night but now it's usually only a couple a week.

True Patriot Love,
There was never more.

Watch it

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I'm actually looking forward to the $$ when overnight on-call goes back to systems only after 4/18 Click here to enlarge Because that's totally worth it Click here to enlarge

And O, Frabjous Day! My boss isn't leaving after all Click here to enlarge Management finally came up with a package that made it worth him staying. I am singing Hallelujahs today Click here to enlarge I actually told him on TUesday - when he mentioned it might be possible - that I was going to light a candle and kill a chicken Click here to enlarge And it worked Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I spent my morning in a meeting about troubleshooting workflow that had people yelling, swearing and talking over each other. One of the other supervisors and I sat at the table and Click here to enlarge for 2 hours. Click here to enlarge Highlight of my week!

True Patriot Love,
There was never more.

Watch it

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Yanno, I would LOVE to be able to just fucking speak my mind and yell and shit in a meeting Click here to enlarge
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 AM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDike View Post
I spent my morning in a meeting about troubleshooting workflow that had people yelling, swearing and talking over each other. One of the other supervisors and I sat at the table and Click here to enlarge for 2 hours. Click here to enlarge Highlight of my week!
That sounds awesome!

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

It was awesome. Click here to enlarge

"That's just shitty, shitty, shitty shit"
"I don't give a sweet fuck..."

Then one of the IT consultants accused the field techs of not responding to calls in hospitals for two weeks and the field tech supervisor nearly went over the table at her. Click here to enlarge

True Patriot Love,
There was never more.

Watch it

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 07:49 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

thanks for sharing your thoughts st louis newborn photographer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in