if I can handle this, I can handle anything right? really really long - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Holy crap they actually sat together and smiled
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Coralblur
if I can handle this, I can handle anything right? really really long

Work week 1:
mon- training day. went well
tues-company owner was in, taking up my boss's time, all day leaving me to wing it
weds-more training. i like the job
thurs - my boss broke the printer Click here to enlarge The primary laser printer. We had an old ass inkjet 3 in 1 to work with that I was having a bitch of a time getting the drivers to work. Took me an hour of pulling my hair out, which means we missed the ups cutoff that started the printer issues in the first place

fri-IT guy comes in to get my new computer set up. This is where it gets really messy. His primary job was to get my new computer connected to the server, get the new computer set up with quick books (which we use for all invoicing so it is vital) and office, particularly access and excel. He was also supposed to backup the server. Which in 10 years had never been backed up. ever. He also needed to network the printer so we could all use it.

You want to know what he got accomplished after being there all day on Friday? He put antivirus software on the three computers, and defragged my bosses computer. Seriously. That is it. He got nothing else done. Something like $375 for something I could have done in half an hour.

So he comes back on Monday. Now he left us with nothing so monday morning I managed to get the old computer connected to the server so I could get orders done. He comes in and farts around on the new computer while I am working. He created a new user on the server and after working a couple hours got the new computer on the server. I left for lunch. Came back. Quick books is no longer working on the old computer. Or the new computer. He decides to copy the data from the server to the new computer and then burn it to DVD from there. In the meantime, he asks that we not change anything. Which I get. Except that its kind of impossible to do my job that way, and why does an IT guy not have an external hard drive or burner that he can plug directly into the server Click here to enlarge He also is skipping files that won't copy. Just telling it to skip. I mean a LOT of files. Which should have been his warning sign.

So he left. Still no quickbooks. He put office 2003 lite on my computer which means I have excel but no access. I really need access. I went on the server and see that the quickbooks data manager has failed and I can't restore it. The tech guy had told my boss that the server probably needed to be rebooted after the backup. The backup which was not only going to be incomplete due to skipped files but was going to take another 20 plus hours. So my boss decides we should try the reboot. Which I had a really really bad feeling about, but being I had only been there a week and a day, I wasn't going to argue.

It never came back. We had a kernal failure. I spent the rest of the day reading help documents and trying to do a repair but it was windows 2000 server on a 10 year old computer that they never shut off. They quit supporting the OS in 2010. I ended up coming back that evening with dh (my boss knows him, was ok with it) and he did everything in his power to recover it. Its gone. The hard drive had so many errors that it couldn't even be remapped. It was supposedly set up on a mirrored hard drive to prevent this. It wasn't. The company lost years and years and years of data Click here to enlarge

Now the 2 hours we were there, dh got my computer set up as a new server, fixed the issues with the label printer, networked the other printer and took what data we could salvage and get it backed up.

So. I spent two straight days starting quickbooks from scratch and inputting the entire inventory (yay for hard copies I guess) Did I mention, those two days they had an audit? Click here to enlarge Today we got a new laser printer which I managed to network to three computers by myself Click here to enlarge It has seriously been a huge undertaking. I mean really huge. We still got orders out every single day. I managed to keep things going enough that we haven't slowed down in our busiest month Click here to enlarge

My boss is looking into professional data retrieval for the old hard drive. In the meantime, I am so happy I spent the first day the tech guy was there reorganizing the files, because we have had to find stuff.

I figure, at this point, things will seem like cake with this job Click here to enlarge

Sorry. I know this was long. I just can't believe the mess. None of it was my fault but I feel so damn bad about it. I just needed to get it out.

An amazing charity
Please remind your children what to do if their clothing catches fire. It could save their life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 PM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Click here to enlarge That is a massively incompentent tech guy, it sounds like. However, not ever rebooting the server? Really? Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ugh, I'd described my week as "climbing up a ladder in a vat of molasses", but your week sounds even more draining!

We used DriveSavers when our stupidly unbackedup drive with over $14K worth of fonts, DH's film, plus all our photos, etc, bit the big one. It did cost $$, but they got everything back for us. I'd highly recommend them--it only took a couple of days. And yes, everything is backed up AND mirrored now!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Hard-Core Sybermom

I did a DVD backup yesterday of everything on there from tues on. I will keep doing one weekly until my boss gets around to getting an external hard drive and then I will run a daily backup.

Since I had to start a new "company" in quick books, if he gets the data retrieved from the old one, it will just sit there so we can get the info I think and I will keep going on the new one. He wants to start tracking inventory through it instead of their awesome excel spreadsheets Click here to enlarge they have now and the old one isn't set up for it. According to the internets you can't merge databases but if someone knows otherwise, please share.

And yeah. 10 years, constantly running. Nobody ever bothered to clean it out so imagine a ft of dust on top of that. I am amazed it hadn't failed before. The hd was super hot.

IT was hired out. I think I am going to be the IT person on top of my job so I need to brush up on my networking skills Click here to enlarge

An amazing charity
Please remind your children what to do if their clothing catches fire. It could save their life.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 AM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

AFAIK, you can't merge QB databases. THere are some things that can be exported from one and imported to another, it's a tricky process, but I have done it before. Have you checked the forums on the QB website? They can be pretty helpful.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 AM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Also, it may be beneficial for your firm to go to the on-line version of QB Click here to enlarge
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Hard-Core Sybermom

Thanks. I will look again because the owner was in today restoring from their backup. Which means all the work I did typing in inventory was pointless Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge they didn't tell me there was the qb backup on their end until yesterday Click here to enlarge

I need to figure out how to export the ship to list. Basically we have a main customer who we bill and drop ship to their customers and that list is expansive. Sigh.

I need the owner to go back to the accounting branch. He is getting on my nerves. Click here to enlarge

An amazing charity
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 AM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

OMG, you poor thing Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 07:40 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

YES! God is with you maternity photography san diego

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in