Ugh...work woes - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Ugh...work woes

I started Awesome Job in June. 90% of the job is awesome, but the 10% that sucks is becoming a real issue.

My boss is the hardest part of my job. He constantly assigns me tasks that sound do-able at the time, then changes the scope down the line. Like: "Just make a few text changes" on day 1 becomes "Let's change all these major directives, so now you have to clear the changes with 20 opinionated stakeholders". And then it becomes "Well you didn't deliver the changes on the day you said you would when I gave it to you.". The department is changing our procedures, and I'm constantly being told "Don't move forward til we tell you to" and then when my stuff is late I'm told "you are disappointing us and making us look bad bc you are late"

This week has been particularly miserable bc a vendor is having trouble meeting our specs and we are so far behind its not funny. I have to work tomorrow and come in next week on days I took off. I also have another project that was doomed from the start and that is fucked up as well.

I fully realize there must be some things I can do better in this situation. My coworker who is experienced does not have the issues navigating the deadlines, etc that I do. It's not a pure apples oranges comparison bc she works on more intricate but longer production schedules, and she has a set vendor who knows a lot of our needs, so she has fewer mistakes to fix on that end. I'm supposed to use new vendors to develop them. But I know I can fix some stuff on my end and be closer to how she works. OTOH, I feel constantly beat up on, and I know I'm more competent than my boss gives me credit for--They told me this was an "entry level" job, but there's no way it's entry level. I can only imagine if they hired someone w/little to no experience.

In the midst of all of this, there is some office politic dramaz. I've been told that Manager has a really really bad reputation throughout the rest of the company, and that the entire team complained about him to HR last year. They've announced that they are hiring a Sr Manager who I will be reporting to directly rather than Manager. My hopes are that they are being perfectly honest when they say they are hiring outside and that I will report to a new person that I can build a different dynamic with. But my fears are that my boss will move up to it and I will still be reporting to him.

Sigh...

Anyway, if I can make it through these two hell projects I should be able to get the next projects more on track bc I have a little more breathing room. So please send me some survival and good luck vibes please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:07 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I hope things fall into place and you get a break from the stress.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:11 AM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Ugh, that does suck Click here to enlarge

Can you start documenting via email or something each & every time something changes (I'm sure you've thought of that already : lol)

My boss roped me into an "easy" project and didn't explain the scope to me, the webex for the team working on it was sched during a time I was gone, so I got a phone briefing. I started to send in the work and it was sent back saying i needed to do it this way, not that way, and not, it's all a single document and each item has to be prioritized. NOT AT ALL what I was told in the first place : twitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge I'm sorry it's so stressful. I recently changed some things about how I do my job to make me a better employee. It is hard to change your habits after so long. Is there some way that you can, like AMG said, better document when you are told to change or wait for a long period of time?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I feel a lot better. Boss is out and I spoke with Rock Star coworker. She told me that (A) I'm doing awesomely and that she doesn't think I need to change anything major, and (B) she's struggling with the deadlines too and feeling the same way. So we made a plan of how to move forward to try and fix the issues. That's definitely part of the 90% I love about my job!! Click here to enlarge

(She also said she hasn't heard that Boss is going to apply to the Sr Manager position, so it's looking more like I may report to a new boss in three months or so anyway...)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Of the two hell projects, I got one out the door before I left. It may still arrive a day late at some locations, but it's close enough that it should hit most on schedule.

The other (bigger) project continues to be a massive clusterfuck. The vendor just sent me an email trying to get me to ok (A) expedited shipping, which we told him we weren't going to approve all last week, and (B) hinting that he wasn't going to be done in time anyway. And he's asking for a PO which I kept trying to get my boss to do last week, but I'm 99.9% sure he didn't touch. Plus I'm supposed to get samples for approval (round 4 after already approving a sample that he apparently can't recreate) in the middle of a snowstorm tomorrow. Click here to enlarge. You'd think at some point I'd max out on the number of issues one project could face, but I can't seem to catch a break on anything when it comes to this project!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to cheeky
document all of this, CYA!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky View Post
document all of this, CYA!
I have been but I know I have gaps here and there in my documentation that will bite me in the ass if someone really is set to make me out to be the goat in this. Mostly on the boss side, bc we have a lot of conversations in the office that it would be weird to follow up with emails on, if you kwim. I have pretty solid back up on the vendor stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in