I am totally overwhelmed since going to full-time WOHM - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Beauty in flight
Hard-Core Sybermom

Location: On my lazy ass in this computer chair when I should be cleaning my house

Send a message via Yahoo to Turbo
I am totally overwhelmed since going to full-time WOHM

In May I took a full-time position with a 45ish min (average) commute each way. I keep thinking I'm going to get the hang of this, lots of families have 2 working parents in the home, and so there must be something I am doing wrong because I am struggling so much making this work. Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

It doesn't help that both of my kids go to non-neighborhood schools that are literally 10-15 minute drives OPPOSITE directions from our house with no bus service. Click here to enlarge We have 2 different carpools. One is rather tense, the other one is great. Dh works from home on an eastern time schedule (so 5:30am to 2:30pm our time) so that he can run afternoon pick-up for both carpools. The real challenge comes in with after school activities. DD has ballet 4 days a week, 2 of which start at 4pm (she gets out of school at 3:30pm about 15-20 min away from the dance studio Click here to enlarge). We just found out Saturday that DS' little league practice will be 4 days a week, also at 4pm. Click here to enlarge

The irony is that when we were on a single income, it was financially stressful to have the kids in after school activities (dance is soooo expensive) and now that we both work, we can afford it but it's nearly physically impossible to get them there.

I guess I mainly just need to vent to others who probably understand and/or have had similar struggles. I've looked into options like hiring someone but then I run into carpool issues (because they'd be driving the carpool kids, too). Neither of our carpools is interested in being paid to do both sides of the carpool.

Oh, and I developed an ulcer in January. Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh that sounds so horribly stressful. I wish I knew what to suggest, aside from one of you going part-time. I know that's not always realistic. I'm contemplating grad school next year and how on earth I'd manage being gone from home 4-10 pm 4 days a week.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm sorry. Click here to enlarge I can completely relate (I have a 45 mile each way commute, too). We're only saved by the fact that my boys' school is close to our house and they have YMCA before/after school care onsite and my dh works nearby and has a somewhat flexible schedule. We'd be screwed otherwise.

It's hard, and I wish I had some advice. All I can offer is sympathy.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm sorry. Click here to enlarge I can completely relate (I have a 45 mile each way commute, too). We're only saved by the fact that my boys' school is close to our house and they have YMCA before/after school care onsite and my dh works nearby and has a somewhat flexible schedule. We'd be screwed otherwise.

It's hard, and I wish I had some advice. All that I can offer is sympathy.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Beauty in flight
Hard-Core Sybermom

Location: On my lazy ass in this computer chair when I should be cleaning my house

Thank you both, I truly appreciate the sympathy. Click here to enlarge

I feel like I "yeah but" myself constantly. I know I could simplify our lives by moving the kids to neighborhood schools or taking them out of their activities, but then I feel like I'm not making the best choices. Once the point of having your cake if you can't eat it, too? Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

I have been considering part-time (back at the hospital) but then it means leaving a great career (healthcare IT) that I've just started. So big decisions... just researching right now and naively hoping somehow it magically works itself all out.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Beauty in flight
Hard-Core Sybermom

"What's" the point... not "once" the point
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge It can be so stressful (and I currently only have one who has activities, the other is in daycare). I lucked out this year because DD's cheer coach has a daughter who is one year older than DD and at the same school. She picks the kids up 4 x a week from school and takes them to cheer so I almost never have to do it. Last year three of us worked it so that we could get them and take them to cheer. It sucked though.

Do you carpool to and from school and is that what the issue is? Can you find a carpool for your DD with someone from the school who also does dance? Ask at the dance studio and see if there are others in the same situation. Is there a school website/message board where you could ask about carpool solutions?

Talk to the dance studio and little league coaches too - let them know the situation, you may find other parents who want to carpool that way and/or they may cut your kids some slack if they are a bit late. DD goes late to every dance class because cheer doesn't get out until 15 minutes after ballet starts. I cleared it with the head of the studio and the teacher before the year started and said she wouldn't be there for at least 25 minutes. They okayed it because she only misses warmups and stretching and she's already warm and stretched because of cheer. Click here to enlarge It is still stressful.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Omg turbo, i feel you. I just had to email the team mom because i literally cannot get gabriel to practice during the week. I was irrationally angry this morning at the assumption that parents can get their kids to activities during regular working hours. Click here to enlargeI think its going to work out. Have you tried the team mom for your son? That will at least help with getting him there. I hated asking, but they seemed happy to do it if it meant gabriel would be at practice.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

And Julie said "Futz", "Futz" said Julie.
"Futz around until my return."
The definition of "futz" was something we had yet to learn,
But we tried to do it anyway, anyway,
'Cause Julie, we'll do anything you say.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
If you want to keep them in all of their activities then I would work on getting a reliable friend/family member to help you make that happen. For me personally and for my family, I would cut back on activities but I know most wouldn't want to do that. I hope you can find out something that works for you guys Click here to enlarge

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:57 PM
mab
What kind of clothes do you suppose would be worn by a man with a mole on his nose?
Hard-Core Sybermom

Can you hire a driving helper?

Find me on facebook - KHW.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
mab
What kind of clothes do you suppose would be worn by a man with a mole on his nose?
Hard-Core Sybermom

Or do you know any parents from the kids' activities? What if you offer to chip in if they could do the driving for your kid in that activity? I know I wouldn't mind helping like that.

Find me on facebook - KHW.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Beauty in flight
Hard-Core Sybermom

We are definitely going to let the coach (no team mom yet) know that the 4pm LL practice is going to be tough but we'll be there as soon as we can. I really can't imagine that we will be the only parents in this boat. The coach is retired so he just may not have thought about work schedules. Let's hope anyway. And will definitely try to team up with another parent. It's a new team and no kids from the school/neighborhood so we'll make the effort to get to know the other parents. There other kids from her charter school at her dance studio, at least not in her time slot, but I think we have that one mostly nailed down except when DH has to take a business trip. Click here to enlarge It's like we get one thing nailed down and something else happens. I talked to my mom and she is going to help out one afternoon a week with LL so that takes some pressure off.

I would like to hire someone but we'd still have to do the after school pick-up (due to other kids in the carpool) so the timing bleeds into the activities. Still, I'm keeping this in mind because if I could make it worth, it'd be worth every penny!

I totally agree, PAP, that less activities would be the sane, reasonable thing to do. Click here to enlarge Ironically I thought limiting them to one activity each would be sufficient but hadn't counted on that one activity being 4 days a week during work hours. Click here to enlarge
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Beauty in flight
Hard-Core Sybermom

I did finally hire a housecleaner though! Click here to enlarge She starts Thursday. I am seriously giddy about that.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

How the hell are you going to have a 4 o'clock bb practice? Click here to enlarge ours are from 6-8 and are hard enough to make with dinner and homework.

Tapatalk is where the typos are at.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Baseball is so ridiculously time consuming

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

And Julie said "Futz", "Futz" said Julie.
"Futz around until my return."
The definition of "futz" was something we had yet to learn,
But we tried to do it anyway, anyway,
'Cause Julie, we'll do anything you say.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to cheeky
one of the moms I used to work with would leave work at 3, get the kids to the babysitter for after care and then come home. it was her "lunch hour" it was crazy.

i agree 4 pm is early, but I've got a kid in middle and a kid in HS and pick up times are around that time for sports, so you're in it for the long haul if your kids do sports.

i took a job where i work from home a lot, dh can work from home too.
we juggle with other working parents, with no set carpool schedule. often, if i'm picking up, i don't even know who might get in the van with us Click here to enlarge if any kids are standing around outside, I usually ask my kid if they need a ride.

older kids are a bit easier that way, they know where they live, etc.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peent View Post
Baseball is so ridiculously time consuming
Dude, seriously. Click here to enlarge

Hopefully the 4pm practices can start later once the days start getting longer, too.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Punk Kids - 12 Years Old & 7 Years Old

Send a message via Yahoo to PunkassPie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
I totally agree, PAP, that less activities would be the sane, reasonable thing to do. Click here to enlarge Ironically I thought limiting them to one activity each would be sufficient but hadn't counted on that one activity being 4 days a week during work hours. Click here to enlarge
Yeah at first I was going to recommend only one activity per kid at a time but you're doing that Click here to enlarge. That's what I do. My kids are little still so I'm sure I'll be in the same place in a few years. Click here to enlarge

It's not a feeling, it's a knowing.

Trippin

Diva ~
Quote:
I'll buck the trend, I don't think her kids are all that in the cute department. not all kids are cute. they have other attributes that make up for that, but look at tweedle's aiden, that is a cute kid. and your kids mel, those are adorable kids. Her's are average. I wouldn't take a second look passing her on the street.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Beauty in flight
Hard-Core Sybermom

Just steer him away from baseball, PAP. Click here to enlarge Seriously though, I can't believe that at 8 years old, beginner level, that it is 4 days a week. Soccer was 2 days a week plus a game on Saturdays, and practice didn't start until 5pm. Bass is right though, they mentioned that the earlier start time is due to the shorter days. So I guess I just gotta get through Feb/March. Click here to enlarge

Thank you everyone for the ideas, encouragement and support. Click here to enlarge
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Emma has always had dance and cheer right after school got done. Click here to enlarge Carpooling with other parents has been the only way to make it all work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in