Any teachers here? (Praxis ?) - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Any teachers here? (Praxis ?)

I am wondering what the "No Child Left Behind" program means to your district regarding the teachers. I moved a few months ago and will be starting a new job this fall. In my new district, you have to be "highly qualified" (their term, which is why it's in quotes). There are 2 ways to show that you fall into this criteria. You can either take extra classes/ get your master's, or you can take the Praxis. Is this nationwide? Because I have taught in three different states, I was required to take the Praxis, so I'm covered. People are freaking out here because they are finding that they are not "qualified" to do their job anymore. I am in a university town, and the graduates in ED. are having to go back to school in order to get a job. So, how about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Eryn
Ambulance Chaser

I'm not a teacher, but my mom is and here in Minnesota I think everyone has to pass the Praxis to teach. When I was considering going for my M.Ed. I took it because it was required for all of the programs here.

And TBH I didn't think it was all that hard, just one more hoop to jump through.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Yeah, I didn't think the test was hard, just expensive. I don't follow the reasoning behind the whole idea that you can either gain extra hours in the content areas OR pass this basic knowledge test. I guess it's nationwide if your mom's taking the test. I was just wondering if the No Child Act meant different things in different districts.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 09:34 AM
momiam
Ambulance Chaser

My husband's studying to be a teacher, and he has to pass the Praxis to be certified. I think he has to take the Praxis II (?) as well. We live in VA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in