Uniforms - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Double Duty Divas Support for working moms! Whether you are part time, full time or even a student...this is a place for you!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Uniforms

Ever had to wear one?

What was the worst?

I have only worn one uniform for a job. But what a uniform it was!

I was working in a Toys R Us type place in England and I wore electric blue overalls, a flamming yellow long sleeved button down shirt and a big red flipping bow tie.

I hated that thing Click here to enlarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 01:54 AM
Ambulance Chaser

There is something to wear to work other than a uniform?!? Wow. While I was going to my Master's program I was in regular clothes for the first time ever. I had to go shopping. I had to make sure I had matching socks to go with certain pairs of slacks. I had to have certain style shoes to match the certain style skirt or slacks. I had to figure out what to wear in the mornings and make sure it all matched. It was very stressful. Click here to enlarge

The stupidest uniform I had to wear was while I was in nursing school. We wore white clothes, so that was OK. But, we had to wear this stupid apron thing that said we were a student from whatever school. I thought it looked dumb.

Camouflage is great!! DD can rub her nose on my shirt right before I leave and I can just walk out the door; it just blends right in with the pattern. If I rub up against my filthy car, no worries; the brownish-gray Korea grime just blends right in.Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 03:51 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I only ever had to wear uniforms when I worked for McDonald's and Wendy's. The Wendy's uniform was by far the worst. I could buy my own navy blue slacks, but the top was striped...I can't remember the colors...looked like something out of the 60's!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 06:48 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My other job I could wear just a company t-shirt, tucked in only when necessary, and navy work pants. But this new job wants me to be professional, the freaks.

Short- sleeve, button down, collared, and polyester blend shirt that has to be pressed with extra starch, mind you. Underneath a navy blue t-shirt. Thick polyester blend navy blue pants, also pressed. Black boots and black belt. Now this wouldn't be that bad if I didn't have to work outside...in Texas...in summer with daily temps of around 100 F. By noon I am a walking sweaty pit stain, I ahve to bring in 2 extra uniforms.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally posted by ArmyFnp

Camouflage is great!! DD can rub her nose on my shirt right before I leave and I can just walk out the door; it just blends right in with the pattern. If I rub up against my filthy car, no worries; the brownish-gray Korea grime just blends right in.Click here to enlarge
I love it too! Snot blends right in. I went on leave for a couple weeks, and I was all messed up trying to dress myself every day. Usually, my worst dilemma is white socks or black?
I don't know what I'll do when I'm a civilian.......probably try and wear black socks with everything.....lol.
Other then that, I only had to wear a rite-aid vest over my normal clothes.

General Immoral Fuckery
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Eryn
Ambulance Chaser

The only uniform of any sort that I've ever had to wear was when I worked at Target (briefly) and had to wear a red shirt and khaki pants. That was annoying, especially because I don't like how I look in red.

I'm going back to school to be an RN and I've been kind of looking forward to not having to stress over what to wear in the morning. It sounds very appealing to me. I hate the "well if I wear these pants, then I can only wear one of these tops, but that means I have to wear those shoes..." decisions that you face when it gets closer to laundry day and you didn't plan well. It's like one of those logic puzzles that comes with a chart and a series of statements like "Johnny did not get his haircut on Tuesday. Billy got his haircut after the person who drives a Camaro."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 05:24 PM
princess
Ambulance Chaser

It seems like I've worn a uniform in an awful lot of my jobs now that I think of.

I started out wearing one at Publix (a grocery store) - I was a cashier.
Moved on to cocktail waitressing at night with a short black skirt and a tuxedo shirt. Ugly.
Skipping over some uneventful, un-uniformed jobs, I started dental assisting in scrubs.
Now I do insurance in an oral surgeons practice and just have to dress up. No uniform!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Ambulance Chaser

Why are so many of the uniforms some icky thick polyester? Why can't they chose some comfortable cotton blend?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

VVugh! Nothing is worse than the Navy winter blues. I swear the material is made up of spun thistles. Itchy!!!!! Not to mention, unlike cammies, if ds would snot, spit up or anything on me before I left for work, it would leave the telltale snail trail on the uniform.

You'll adjust to not wearing uniforms once you become a civillian. At first I was stressed, it was so odd for me to walk outside without putting a hat on. Click here to enlarge I found the Gap to be the best, everything matches in that store in one way or another.

The best things in life are unexpected, because there were no expectations.

- Eli Khamarov
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 07:45 PM
Ambulance Chaser

I'll find out in about 9 years. I'll keep GAP in mind at that time. Click here to enlarge
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Grace Under Fire
Ambulance Chaser

I loved it when I was a medical records clerk for an ob/gyn practice. We had to wear scrubs and had certain colors for certain days. It was great to just put on clothes and go without having to think about what to wear Click here to enlarge.

When I was in nursing school (eleven years ago), we had to wear white dresses (think Nurse Ratchet) with blue aprons with the emblem of the school on a patch. Tack on some white hose and white shoes (mandatory)...pretty nauseating.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 08:18 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally posted by Rapture
VVugh! Nothing is worse than the Navy winter blues. I swear the material is made up of spun thistles. Itchy!!!!!
AF blues fuse to your ass on nice hot, muggy days. I friggin hate em.
And maternity BDU's. What the fuck is the point in those?

General Immoral Fuckery
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I have to wear scrubs, but I can wear whatever color/style I want...as long as it matches.

For the RN program, we have to order white scrubs from the Dove Company (it's mandatory that we order from Dove) and it costs $170 for the damn uniform! I could go to WalMart and get the same damn thing, in white, for about $50. Wugh!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:06 PM
AMG
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Um, I had to wear a costume character once Click here to enlarge I worked for Ser Weinerschnitzel when I was in high school and I was the one hwo was (doG help me Click here to enlarge ) Der Weiner Dog Click here to enlarge
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 12:20 PM
WenchieLaRue
Ambulance Chaser

Being stuck in craptastic fast food jobs blows. Working nights while the hubs works days..has yielded a very TINY wardrobe for me lol. It's like..when you don't have to wear the uniform, you're at a loss as to what to wear...kinda sit there and stare at your clothes like..gee you mean not everything has some wierd looking chicken on it? At least...I can wear regular blue jeans...small comforts in life haha. The hats are the worst though...it's like they find the tackiest style possible on purpose..and the hats NEVER fit right..there's always some wierd pointy parts or something.Click here to enlarge
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 07:19 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

What idiot designed military maternity uniforms. My belly was so big that my shirt wouldn't cover the stretchy panel in my dungarees (working uniform). I felt so dorky.

I guess it may work to discourage others from getting pregnant from fear of wearing that ugly assed uniform.....shure Click here to enlarge

The best things in life are unexpected, because there were no expectations.

- Eli Khamarov
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Ambulance Chaser

You guys are cracking me up here. Click here to enlarge I busted the maternity panel on my maternity BDU's. They were more comfortable after that. I'd have to say that the person who had to be the hotdog wins the worst uniform prize. Sorry for you.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My jobs ever held: Little Caesars, Ponderosa, and the Navy. All uniforms. Oh wait, I helped out a bit at a diner, and wore whatever I didn't mind ruining.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in