Activities for twins - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Multiples! (and we don't mean orgasms) Are you reproductively efficient? Were your children womb-mates? Does your family keep a diaper company in business? Join other moms and dads of syber-litters, overpopulating the world one pregnancy at a time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Activities for twins

What do you do for activities for them? Everything I have found wants a ratio of one parent to one child. They need to do something to burn off some of their energy. Even the local indoor soccer place wants one to one. Click here to enlarge

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Faythe
Ambulance Chaser

Your boys are about 20-21 months, right? There's not a whole lot out there for kids that age, just because they do usually require one-on-one attention for most activities.

Have you checked with your local library or bookstore? Many offer an "all ages" story time, occasionally with activities afterward. Our library has one day a month for the kids to come in and dance.

What about a parents group? The community I live in has a parents center and they have set up an indoor playground for kids up to age 5. It's only open during the winter, and it's not free, but it's worth it to have a place to run around. Some shopping malls now have play places like that in them, too. If you can go before it's too busy (and it seems like you need to disinfect the climb on toys) it's not bad. It's not really an activity you do together, but it's a change of pace and something to talk about for a few days afterward.

There's always the option of signing up for one of these activities and then swapping out who goes and having dh or someone else watch the other child. In another year or so you will have a lot more choices.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Ambulance Chaser

We have an indoor playground at the Y that is great. Big climbing gym and a toy room for toddlers.

I have my kids in a movement class at the university. It's like a lab for the childhood development students, but like a gym and dance class for little kids. Each kid is assigned a college student "teacher" and they work in bigger groups of 8-10 kids. The moms stay in the gym and walk the indoor track or read and visit.

The Children's Museum music and art classes are fun too. I haven't braved story time because they wouldn't both sit still at the same time. We go to the library though, just no quiet story times.

I did more with my kids when they were littler than I do now that they are 3. They were more predictable then...and slower.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Thank you for the replies. Yes they are 20 months old. I have stayed away from the library story times. I also know mine won't sit long enough for something like that. Our library doesn't have anything like the dancing for them, but that sounds like fun.
The only parents group local here would be MOPS. I don't know much about that. Anyone do MOPS?
We live in a pretty small town. No mall activity center here. We do have a YMCA, but all of the activities there require one on one. My dh is away and we have no family that lives close to help. I would love love love to get them in some swimming classes though. We do have a University here and I will call them to see if they have a child development class similar to what you mentioned Pretzel. That would be awesome to get in some regular excersize for myself in the process.
I have to agree that when they were smaller it was easier to do things with them. I have 3 older kids and it takes all of us to keep up with them running wild at the park.

Thanks again ladies for the suggestions. It's been a loooooong winter! Click here to enlarge
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Ambulance Chaser

For swimming, I took my kids on separate nights and used the drop-in childcare at the Y. I am really familiar with them and felt comfortable with that.

The assistant swimming director accused me once of bringing my kid to class 2 nights a week and stealing lessons. She did this in front of all of the parents. When I said I had identical twins and had paid for two sets of lessons, she got all bitchy and said she'd have to check her records and asked me to wait before we entered the pool.

It's sort of funny now, but I was so steamed when it happened. She basically accused me of stealing and lying in front of all of the swim parents of all the different aged classes at the pool that night. When we got out I parked my big old double wide stroller in front of the huge observation window and fed the kids a snack. She was a power tripping little snot.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Oh My! Like you don't have anything better to do than steal swimming lessons. I hope she treated you better after that incident. I'm not sure how my boys would do in the child care center. I have to admit, they have never stayed with anyone. Click here to enlarge I haven't had much luck yet finding a babysitter that will keep twins.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Pretzel, I would have been pretty rude to her about that. Click here to enlarge

Duckie, go and check out the storytime. I know our library divides it up into age groups, and they don't expect kids that age to sit still all the time. OUr librarian told me that they hope by the time kids have been coming to toddler time (for 2-4 yr olds) for several months to a year that they will sit down for stories.

And at that age, it's sing and dance several minutes, read 1 story, repeat several times. I would imagine the storytime for the younger group is much the same, if not even more moving and less sitting. They are very patient and laid back about the whole thing and only want the kids to have fun.

And I would never have thought finding a babysitter would be hard. We got lucky with ours, and with our neighbor who babysits sometimes. But why would keeping twins be any harder than keeping kids of different ages?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

STM, I'm not sure what the deal is with babysitters around here. I have 4 friends with twins and they don't seem to have much luck with getting sitters either. One mother send hers to a sitter during the day while she works, but nothing for evenings out with dh's. There is a group of college girls that go through the multiples club and do babysitting but that is too far for them to drive here. Someday we will get out. Click here to enlarge It probably doesn't help on the babysitter issue that I have 3 older kids also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in