Same classroom or seperate? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Multiples! (and we don't mean orgasms) Are you reproductively efficient? Were your children womb-mates? Does your family keep a diaper company in business? Join other moms and dads of syber-litters, overpopulating the world one pregnancy at a time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Same classroom or seperate?

Dds are only 4, so this isn't a decision we'll be making too soon, but in the spring. There ped recommended that we split them up for kindy after watching them interact during their 4 yr well check. Dh and I pretty much agree, since Emma likes to boss Ellie around, and Ellie likes to pester Emma. Click here to enlarge

Emma actually enjoys having "alone time". We suspect she'll be begging for her own room at some point. Click here to enlarge

What have y'all done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 01:23 PM
My biggest fear is that there is no PMS and that this is my personality.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinklestars
Our school automatically separates, but I think mine would be fine together.

They take turns being bossy.

I am not one of those who believe - broadly speaking - that women are better than men. We have not wrecked railroads, nor corrupted legislatures, nor done many unholy things that men have done; but then we must remember that we have not had the chance.- Jane Addams
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

In all all the districts around here, they automatically seperate unless you request otherwise. My boys love having some alone time from each other. Now, they are identical so I thought it best that they have the opportunity to form their own friends and identities. We just moved and they were going to start a new school for 2nd grade. I asked them if they wanted me to request for them to be together and they said a resounding NO! Click here to enlarge

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 06:17 PM
My biggest fear is that there is no PMS and that this is my personality.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinklestars
I have actually thought about talking to the teachers about seeing if there is any way for them to do anything together during the day. The one with the less homework is oddly jealous that she doesn't have as much to do and tries to do her sister's homework.

This doesn't work with a worksheet, but with sentences and alphabetizing some word lists, it works okay.

I am not one of those who believe - broadly speaking - that women are better than men. We have not wrecked railroads, nor corrupted legislatures, nor done many unholy things that men have done; but then we must remember that we have not had the chance.- Jane Addams
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I'm actually a little worried that Ellie will freak out about being without Emma. She's much less secure in social settings than Emma is. More reluctant to go to preschool, etc. So, I'm considering asking that they be allowed to see each other during the day if they need to.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Mine eat lunch and have recess together and love that.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinsanity Twatwaffles
Mine have been in the same class up until this (2nd grade) year. They've done well together...each likes to know that the other is there but they mostly do their own things and have their own friends. A lot of people don't even realize they're twins. This year, Abi requested they have different classes...she says Kai sometimes embarrasses her.

Kai agreed to seperate classes but the beginning of the year was hard for him. Their 1st grade teacher, Mr C. who Kai dearly loved, moved up to teach 2nd grade and Abi was placed in his class. It really would have been so much better had Kai gotten Mr. C. instead of Abi.

Anyway, they're both doing great now. And I'm getting used to it. With kids at 3 other schools, it was easier on me to have them in the same class.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

we aren't anywhere near that, but our school will let us choose. I am going to let them decide what they want.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:20 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva
we aren't anywhere near that, but our school will let us choose. I am going to let them decide what they want.
What if one wants to be together and one wants to be seperate?

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinsanity Twatwaffles
When I said Kai agreed to separate classes, he agreed reluctantly. Very reluctantly.

I think when they want different things, it's like anything else...up to us to decide what we think best and prepare them for that.

We talked about how they'd have lunch and recess together (same time, anyway), ride the bus back and forth together, and still be together as much as they want at home. Plus, we found out the different classes often have special (gym/art/music) classes together.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge twin, exactly we will be the final decision makers. My gut tells me now that I would choose to have them together.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

and I have to say, having a set of triplets in my oldest daughters class, they had all three in separate classrooms last year and the mom said it was utter chaos. Different homework, papers getting confused, assignments getting confused, etc. This year they are all in class together, they get separated in the leveling that goes on for reading and math.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

I can attest to the fact that different homework gets annoying. Three years running, Jacob has gotten the teacher who gives more homework.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 03:42 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Send a message via Yahoo to Yup_n_Nope
Well, here I am to drop my 2-cents in the bucket! Click here to enlarge

Anna & Sarah were in the same Kindergarten class. That was mostly for me because I knew they would be fine by themselves in separate classes. However, I wanted to know their strengths and challenges in learning were their own personality & learning styles and not different teaching styles.

At the end of the year, the teacher and I, who had a great relationship, discussed class placement for 1st Grade. We both agreed that they NEEDED separate classes.

I was lucky enough for them to get the perfect teachers for each of their personalities! They are doing wonderfully! And although they do play together at recess once in a while, they have their own friend groups that they play with more often!

One has no homework on Friday and the other has no homework on Monday! Click here to enlarge

The curriculum is the same and the homework runs pretty close to the same each day or only a day or two off.

Sarah, DD2, is asking to not share a room with her twin. Click here to enlarge She claims that Anna keeps her awake or keeps waking her up!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

I don't have twins, but I am one, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Our school automatically separated us. We were in third grade together for a few months, but that was by mistake. For us, it was good. As a kid, I had a tendency to let my sister do all the talking for us. If we hadn't been seperated, I wouldn't've learned to do simple things like make friends on my own.

I don't recall different homework and stuff ever being a problem.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

what i specifically like about our school is that it is our and their choice and it is ok to switch it up as well. Bella goes to school with a set of twins as well and thier first year (K) they tried every combination possible. Click here to enlarge together in the am class, one in the pm and one in the am, both in the pm class both in separate am and pm classes. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in