Advice about older child? - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Multiples! (and we don't mean orgasms) Are you reproductively efficient? Were your children womb-mates? Does your family keep a diaper company in business? Join other moms and dads of syber-litters, overpopulating the world one pregnancy at a time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Advice about older child?

Our first is 2.5 years old. She doesn't really seem to get that there are babies in my belly, or even that the growth means anything beyond that I am now a much more suitable pillow.

Do you have any recommendations to help a toddler adjust to a sudden influx of siblings when talking to her about it seems to yield no comprehension?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 07:21 PM
My biggest fear is that there is no PMS and that this is my personality.
Hard-Core Sybermom

Send a message via Yahoo to Twinklestars
I had some books, but my oldest was 2 years 5 months when her sisters were born. She didn't understand too much either.

I am not one of those who believe - broadly speaking - that women are better than men. We have not wrecked railroads, nor corrupted legislatures, nor done many unholy things that men have done; but then we must remember that we have not had the chance.- Jane Addams
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My twins were a little over 2 when their sister was born. They didn't get it until she was here in the house. Just keep talking about it, get her around little babies if you can, and enjoy your time with her before the babies are born!!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My DS was 2 and a half when DDs were born and there really is no way to prepare a child that young for that. He would sometimes come to my appts and see the ultrasounds and we rented a doppler for at home heartbeat listening and he loved that.. but as for knowing that an actual pair of people was coming out.. Yeah he had no idea what was going on.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

Thanks for sharing. Well yesterday I finally got her to say there was a baby in my belly. Then when I explained there were actually two babies, she insisted on three. I hope she was practicing counting and not noticing a baby all these freaking appointments have missed!

And she now really likes to watch the Dora episode where Dora becomes a big sister. So I'm hoping that she'll adjust realtively well. I just wish I felt more confident about it!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

My daughter is 5, so she gets it more. She has brought home a book to read about babies every day from school. She is so excited about the babies! I hope she stays that way when they are actually here. I'm worried that she'll be jealous because she's been the baby for so long.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Unsupportive Freeloader

I fully expect that Johanna won't be nearly so keen on babies once they get here and cry and get attention that she believes is hers by right. But I'll have to fight that battle when it gets here. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in