Hey Juni, I need your opinion - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
Multiples! (and we don't mean orgasms) Are you reproductively efficient? Were your children womb-mates? Does your family keep a diaper company in business? Join other moms and dads of syber-litters, overpopulating the world one pregnancy at a time.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Hey Juni, I need your opinion

I remember reading about you having experience with mother's homes. I have done a little to get involved with our local home, mostly just dropping off baby gear. I have an idea that I think could be nice, but want to know if you think it's creepy.

I have been practicing a little photography on my kids and friends for fun only. I just took photos at my best friends wedding and have a ton of film left over. I was thinking about offering to go to the home and do little photo shoots of the resident babies there for the moms. Maybe even do some on digital and burn onto cd's for them. Then I thought it might come off as creepy stalkerish..."here let me take pictures of your baby". I'd pretty much go to a one hour and hand over all the negatives to the mom right away, or maybe give her the roll, but i don't want her to have to pay for developing either, especially if they aren't all keepers.

Is this the type of thing you think a resident mom would appreciate or understand the gesture? They wouldn't be like portrait quality, but maybe some nice black and whites and good staged candids of mother and child. I can see how it might be seen as an odd offer, but wanted your opinion on how to approach it. I can come off as a little too enthusiastic if I've been thinking of an idea too much and don't want to put anybody off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

That's a wonderful idea. A mom in a home really can't afford to take a lot of pictures and we all know how much it sucks to not have those pictures of the little ones.

Two of the women who volunteered with the home (one was our quilting volunteer, the other our bradley coach) both were big on pictures. Virgie (quilting) would always take pictures of our preggo bellies once a month and she was always taking pictures of the babies. My nicest pictures from that time were the ones she took since all I had was a disposable and she had a real camera. She would bring the pictures back the next time she came in. It was a wonderful thing she did for us and it was always excitement there when she brought the pictures again.

Contact the director of the home and offer up. So little is done for women in these situations like that. People offer up money or clothes but it's the little things like that, that really made us feel good. We had a church group that got us stuff for holidays....see's candy for easter, had a barbecue for us for the 4th of July. The quilting class was the most popular there just because we got to make stuff for our kids which really helped the bonding process.

Anyway, thank you so much from everyone who is in that type of situation. It's so appreciated!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 02:34 PM
Wayward Wombat
Hard-Core Sybermom

PT, I think that's a very cool idea! Good luck with it!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Thanks for your input Juni. I think I'll call up toward the end of summer and talk to the director. Who knows, they might already have people helping with that sort of thing. I just have a ton of film and thought it'd be fun for everybody. Belly pictures are a good idea too!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Hey Juni,

I was going to put this off until later summer, but tonight at the ice cream stand I saw one of the directors who knows me as the twin mom. I asked her what she thought of my offer and she said the home won't be open much longer due to strapped finances, but there's a birthday party tomorrow that she asked me to attend and take photos. I am excited for the opportunity and so sad that the home is in danger of closing. Pretty fortuitous stop for ice cream on my part. Click here to enlarge If I would have procrastinated like usual I would have missed the chance to take some cute baby photos!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Oh that's so sad. So many organizations have just been suffering big time from lingering side effects to 9/11. People just aren't giving to the quiet unassuming charities anymore.

I'm glad you stopped for ice cream. I know they'll enjoy it. Click here to enlarge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in