New breastfeeding book - Sybermoms Parenting Forum
The Breastaurant Do your kids eat at mom's? Need advice or have some to share? Come on in to the d-cup diner and spill it!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Ambulance Chaser

Talking New breastfeeding book

The Breastfeeding Cafe.

I have known the author for ten years and I am very proud of her. I really like her focus on the importance of storytelling. In a way, I think that is what we do here at SM.

Quote:
Despite our commonalities, our individual stories are unique. And there is no singular or correct way to nurse, no “right” way to feel about nursing. Anthropologist Penny Van Esterik talks about the importance of avoiding what she calls “politically correct” breastfeeding - breastfeeding that is promoted in a way that tells women there is only one acceptable way to nurse a baby. Sharing our breastfeeding stories helps us to avoid this. “From women’s stories,” she writes, “we learn that breastfeeding is about love, ecology, politics, power, women’s knowledge and the wisdom of the body. It is about the personal messages and memories that contribute to who we are as people and the way we relate to others.” [iii]

Storytelling is an act of power, of taking control of our lives. And your story, too, deserves to be heard.
Even though I have retired my nursing bra, I will be adding this book to my collection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

That looks GREAT!Click here to enlarge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Unsupportive Freeloader

Click here to enlarge I've been wanting to get a breastfeeding book for a friend who is having a baby in June. I'm not sure if she has any of the other great books on bf'ing, but I'm sure she doesn't have this one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sybermoms Parenting Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Do NOT use an AOL email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in